Table of Contents
- 1 What is Betahistine?
- 2 Uses of Betahistine
- 3 Betahistine Price in India
- 4 How to Take Betahistine?
- 5 Common Dosage for Betahistine
- 6 Precautions – When to Avoid Betahistine?
- 7 Side-effects of Betahistine
- 8 Effects on organs?
- 9 Reported Allergic Reactions
- 10 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 11 Shows Effects / Results In:
- 12 Storage of Betahistine
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Betahistine:
- 14 FAQ
- 15 Is Betahistine Addictive?
- 16 Can I have Betahistine with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Betahistine When Pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Betahistine when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Betahistine?
- 21 What happens if…
- 22 I eat expired Betahistine?
- 23 I miss a dose of Betahistine?
What is Betahistine?
- It’s an orally active histamine analogue
- Betahistine is most commonly indicated in Meniere’s disease
- Meniere’s disease is s an inner ear disorder caused by changing pressure in the ear
- It can cause episodes of vertigo, tinnitus (ringing in ear) and hearing loss
- Betahistine acts by causing vasodilation (increased blood supply) in inner ear
- It reduces the buildup of pressure and thereby the severity of symptoms
Buy & Get Upto 20% Off: Use 1mg Coupons | Netmeds Coupons | Myra Medicines Coupons
Uses of Betahistine
- It is used for the treatment of vertigo
- Vertigo is a sensation of feeling off balance or a feeling of dizziness
- It is most commonly seen as a result of middle ear problem
You may also read: Atarax Uses | Azithral Uses
Betahistine Price in India
|8 mg Strips of 100 Tablets||Rs 45|
|16 mg Strips of 100 Tablets||Rs 54|
|24 mg Strips of 100 Tablets||Rs 75.25|
How to Take Betahistine?
Betahistine tablet when orally administered is rapidly absorbed from gastrointestinal tract. Drug absorption can be further enhanced when administered with food. The tablet should be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. The dosage of Betahistine varies with age & weight of the patient and also the severity of vertigo. This medicine should not be given in children below 18 years of age.
Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent as this medicine might take some time to show its full effect. In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately. If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
You may also read about: Ascoril Syrup
Common Dosage for Betahistine
Recommended starting dosage of Betahistine is 8-16mg taken three times a day. The maximum recommended dose per day is 48mg. Dosage can be adjusted as per patient needs, severity and response to initial treatment. If you take more than one tablet each day, spread your tablets evenly over the day. Try to take your tablet at the same time each day to ensure that there is a steady amount of the medicine in your body.
This medicine can take a while to be effective. In few cases, it may take at least 2 weeks to show results. Do not alter the dosage or frequency of the drug without doctor’s consent.
Not recommended in children and adolescents below 18 years of age.
You may also read: Beplex Forte Dosage | Betadine Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Betahistine?
Betahistine should not be used in:
- Patients allergic to betahistine
- Patients suffering from pheochromocytoma (tumour of adrenal gland)
- Patients having peptic ulcer
- Asthmatic patients
- Patients with rashes, allergic symptoms (use with caution)
- Breast feeding (consult your physician in such case)
Side-effects of Betahistine
Like every medicine, betahistine also shows some side effects although they may not be commonly seen in all the patients.
Commonly observed side effects may include:
- Stomach ache (avoid taking empty stomach)
- Itching and skin rashes
- Severe allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Effects on organs?
No such effect on any organs. Patient with severe liver/kidney disease should take this drug with caution.
Reported Allergic Reactions
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Allergy to Betahistine is rare and may exhibit following symptoms: rash; itching; shortness of breath; drop in blood pressure; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
Betahistine may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors – The blood levels of Betahistine may increase if taken with Monoamine oxidase inhibitors like moclobemide, phenelzine, selegiline uswd for the treatment of depression. This interaction may cause serious effects. Inform the doctor and either change the medicine or alter its dosage.
- Antihistamines – Inform the doctor if you are receiving any antiallergy medications or cough preparations that contain antihistamines like diphenhydramine, cetirizine, chlorpheniramine as they are antagonist to betahistine.
- Beta-2 agonists – Betahistine may decrease the effect of bronchodilators. Inform the doctor if you are receiving any Beta-2 agonists as dose alteration or drug substitution may be required in that case.
Shows Effects / Results In:
This medicine is well absorbed orally. You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Betahistine. However in few cases, it may take upto 2 weeks to show desired results.
A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Storage of Betahistine
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Betahistine:
- This medicine should always be taken along with food which may help in faster absorption. Taking empty stomach increases risk of GIT side effects.
- This medicine might take some time before showing desirable clinical results as compared to other drugs. Don’t change the dosage or frequency of drug uptake on your own.
Also Read in Hindi: About Betahistine
Is Betahistine Addictive?
Habit forming tendencies have been reported in very few cases.
Can I have Betahistine with alcohol?
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Take this medicine with meals as it will help in better absorption of the drug.
Avoid taking empty stomach or it may show side effects like bloating, stomach ache etc.
Can I have Betahistine When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Betahistine is not recommended to use during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary as it has been seen to cause harm to the developing fetus.
Can I have Betahistine when feeding a baby?
It is not known whether Betahistine is secreted in breast milk. Thus avoid using this medicine while breast feeding or consult with your doctor.
Can I drive after taking Betahistine?
Betahistine is not likely to affect your driving ability. However it is used for treating vertigo and dizziness which may affect driving.
What happens if…
I overdose on Betahistine?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects.
Symptoms of overdosage include vomitting, dyspepsia, ataxia, seizures. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
I eat expired Betahistine?
The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
I miss a dose of Betahistine?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.