Table of Contents
- What is Betnelan?
- Uses of Betnelan
- How does Betnelan work?
- Betnelan Price in India
- How to take Betnelan
- Common Dosage of Betnelan
- When to avoid Betnelan & precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Betnelan
- Effect on organs
- Reported allergic reactions
- Drug interactions to be careful about
- Shows effects
- Storage requirements for Betnelan
- Pro tips when taking Betnelan
- Is Betnelan addictive?
- Can I have Betnelan with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Betnelan when pregnant?
- Can I have Betnelan when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Betnelan?
- What happens if I overdose on Betnelan?
- What happens if I eat expired Betnelan?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Betnelan?
- Similar Reads
Betnelan Composition – Betamethasone (0.5mg)
Manufactured By – Glaxo Smithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 9.6
Quantity – 20 tablets in 1 strip
What is Betnelan?
- Betnelan is a glucocorticoid and is similar to the naturally occurring steroidal hormones produced by the adrenal glands.
- It is preferred in cerebral edema and other states in which fluid retention must be avoided.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Myra Medicines Coupons | 1mg Coupons
Uses of Betnelan
It is prescribed for:
- Allergy and inflammation
- Joint inflammation
- Eye inflammation
- Skin disorders
Read About: Bisolvon Uses
How does Betnelan work?
- Betnelan works by decreasing the release of certain substances that cause swelling of the internal organs as well as external swelling and irritation.
- It also suppress or partially prevents the effect of the immune system.
Betnelan Price in India
|Specifics||Betnelan Price in India|
Know More: Canesten Price
How to take Betnelan
Betnelan is administered orally in the form of tablets or liquid.
Read About: Champix Composition | Cetaphil Composition
Common Dosage of Betnelan
Common dose of Betnelan is 0.5 mg and 1 mg tablet, once per day.
Also Know: Bisolvon Dosage | Betnelan Dosage
When to avoid Betnelan & precautions to take?
- Avoid Betnelan if you are allergic to it or to the components present in it.
- This medicine is not recommended for use if the patient has any serious unknown infection or a fungal infection.
- Patients with tuberculosis, electrolyte imbalance and gastrointestinal perforation need to be cautious while receiving this medicine.
- Caution is also advised in patients with ocular herpes infection, scleroderma and who have recovered from heart attack recently.
Side Effects of Betnelan
- Blurred vision
- Increased appetite
- Anxiety and nervousness
- Skin itch
- Drying and cracking of skin
- Change in skin color
- Persistent infections
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Growth retardation in children
- Hoarseness of voice
Effect on organs
- Cardiovascular effects- Hypertension and congestive heart failure.
- Endocrine effects- Decreased glucose tolerance and hyperglycemia resulting in diabetes-like symptoms.
- Gastrointestinal effects- Gastrointestinal upset, nausea, vomiting, and peptic ulcer disease, pancreatitis, ulcerative esophagitis, gastrointestinal perforation and hemorrhage.
- Metabolic effects- Hypernatremia (rare), hypokalemia, fluid retention, negative nitrogen balance and increased blood urea nitrogen concentration.
- Musculoskeletal effects- Myopathy, osteoporosis, vertebral compression fractures, tendon rupture (particularly the Achilles tendon), and aseptic necrosis of bone.
- Immunologic effects- Impairment in cell-mediated immunity and increased susceptibility to bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections.
- Ocular effects- Increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and posterior subcapsular cataracts.
- Dermatologic effects- Increased ease in bruising, ecchymosis, delayed wound healing, and acne.
- Hematologic effects- Thrombocytopenia, lymphopenia, and platelet alterations.
Reported allergic reactions
Symptoms of allergic reactions:
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, throat or hands
Drug interactions to be careful about
Co-administration of following drugs is not recommended with Betnelan:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- BCG vaccine
The effect of Betnelan can be seen within a few minutes after administration as it is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.
Storage requirements for Betnelan
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro tips when taking Betnelan
- Avoid dietary sodium while receiving Betnelan.
- Consumption of alcohol should be limited or avoided.
Is Betnelan addictive?
Can I have Betnelan with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid dietary sodium.
Can I have Betnelan when pregnant?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I have Betnelan when feeding a baby?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I drive after taking Betnelan?
What happens if I overdose on Betnelan?
Overdose of Betnelan may cause thinning of the skin, easy bruising and bleeding, body fat deposits.
What happens if I eat expired Betnelan?
Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Betnelan?
If you miss a dose of Betnelan, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.