Table of Contents
- 1 What is Betnelan?
- 2 Uses of Betnelan
- 3 How does Betnelan work?
- 4 Betnelan Price in India
- 5 How to take Betnelan
- 6 Common Dosage of Betnelan
- 7 When to avoid Betnelan & precautions to take?
- 8 Side Effects of Betnelan
- 9 Effect on organs
- 10 Reported allergic reactions
- 11 Drug interactions to be careful about
- 12 Shows effects
- 13 Storage requirements for Betnelan
- 14 Pro tips when taking Betnelan
- 15 FAQs
- 16 Is Betnelan addictive?
- 17 Can I have Betnelan with alcohol?
- 18 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 19 Can I have Betnelan when pregnant?
- 20 Can I have Betnelan when feeding a baby?
- 21 Can I drive after taking Betnelan?
- 22 What happens if I overdose on Betnelan?
- 23 What happens if I eat expired Betnelan?
- 24 What happens if I miss a dose of Betnelan?
- 25 Similar Reads
Betnelan Composition – Betamethasone (0.5mg)
Manufactured By – Glaxo Smithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 9.6
Quantity – 20 tablets in 1 strip
What is Betnelan?
- Betnelan is a glucocorticoid and is similar to the naturally occurring steroidal hormones produced by the adrenal glands.
- It is preferred in cerebral edema and other states in which fluid retention must be avoided.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Myra Medicines Coupons | 1mg Coupons
Uses of Betnelan
It is prescribed for:
- Allergy and inflammation
- Joint inflammation
- Eye inflammation
- Skin disorders
How does Betnelan work?
- Betnelan works by decreasing the release of certain substances that cause swelling of the internal organs as well as external swelling and irritation.
- It also suppress or partially prevents the effect of the immune system.
Betnelan Price in India
|Specifics||Betnelan Price in India|
Know More: Canesten Price
How to take Betnelan
Betnelan is administered orally in the form of tablets or liquid.
Read About: Champix Composition | Cetaphil Composition
Common Dosage of Betnelan
Common dose of Betnelan is 0.5 mg and 1 mg tablet, once per day.
Also Know: Betnelan Dosage
When to avoid Betnelan & precautions to take?
- Avoid Betnelan if you are allergic to it or to the components present in it.
- This medicine is not recommended for use if the patient has any serious unknown infection or a fungal infection.
- Patients with tuberculosis, electrolyte imbalance and gastrointestinal perforation need to be cautious while receiving this medicine.
- Caution is also advised in patients with ocular herpes infection, scleroderma and who have recovered from heart attack recently.
Side Effects of Betnelan
- Blurred vision
- Increased appetite
- Anxiety and nervousness
- Skin itch
- Drying and cracking of skin
- Change in skin color
- Persistent infections
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Growth retardation in children
- Hoarseness of voice
Effect on organs
- Cardiovascular effects- Hypertension and congestive heart failure.
- Endocrine effects- Decreased glucose tolerance and hyperglycemia resulting in diabetes-like symptoms.
- Gastrointestinal effects- Gastrointestinal upset, nausea, vomiting, and peptic ulcer disease, pancreatitis, ulcerative esophagitis, gastrointestinal perforation and hemorrhage.
- Metabolic effects- Hypernatremia (rare), hypokalemia, fluid retention, negative nitrogen balance and increased blood urea nitrogen concentration.
- Musculoskeletal effects- Myopathy, osteoporosis, vertebral compression fractures, tendon rupture (particularly the Achilles tendon), and aseptic necrosis of bone.
- Immunologic effects- Impairment in cell-mediated immunity and increased susceptibility to bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections.
- Ocular effects- Increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and posterior subcapsular cataracts.
- Dermatologic effects- Increased ease in bruising, ecchymosis, delayed wound healing, and acne.
- Hematologic effects- Thrombocytopenia, lymphopenia, and platelet alterations.
Reported allergic reactions
Symptoms of allergic reactions:
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, throat or hands
Drug interactions to be careful about
Co-administration of following drugs is not recommended with Betnelan:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- BCG vaccine
The effect of Betnelan can be seen within a few minutes after administration as it is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.
Storage requirements for Betnelan
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro tips when taking Betnelan
- Avoid dietary sodium while receiving Betnelan.
- Consumption of alcohol should be limited or avoided.
Is Betnelan addictive?
Can I have Betnelan with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid dietary sodium.
Can I have Betnelan when pregnant?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I have Betnelan when feeding a baby?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I drive after taking Betnelan?
What happens if I overdose on Betnelan?
Overdose of Betnelan may cause thinning of the skin, easy bruising and bleeding, body fat deposits.
What happens if I eat expired Betnelan?
Expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.