Table of Contents
- What is Betnovate C?
- Uses of Betnovate C
- Betnovate C Price in India
- How does Betnovate C work?
- How to Take Betnovate C?
- Common Dosage For Betnovate C?
- Precautions – When To Avoid Betnovate C?
- Side-effects of Betnovate C?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage Requirements for Betnovate C
- Pro Tips When Taking Betnovate C
- Is Betnovate C Addictive?
- Can I have Betnovate C with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Betnovate C When Pregnant?
- Can I have Betnovate C when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Betnovate C?
- What happens if I overdose on Betnovate C?
- What happens if I use expired Betnovate C?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Betnovate C?
- Other Stores That Offers Best Health Packages
What is Betnovate C?
Betnovate C is a topical steroid medication which contains:
- Betamethasone valerate 0.1%
- Clioquinol 3%
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Betnovate C in Hindi
Buy & Get Upto 35% Discount: Use Practo Coupons
Uses of Betnovate C
Betnovate C is used to relieve:
- Redness and itching
Betnovate C Price in India
|Specifics||Betnovate C Price|
|Tube of 30 gm Cream||Rs 40.1|
How does Betnovate C work?
- Betnovate C contains betamethasone that reduces inflammation causing chemicals in the body and immune responses in the body
- This relieves the patient from swelling, redness, and itching and prevents further scratching by the patient which could irritate the skin
- Clioquinol helps to prevent or clear up some bacterial or fungal infections of the skin
How to Take Betnovate C?
- Betnovate C usually comes in both cream and ointment form
- Betnovate C cream is appropriate for use on the moist areas of skin
- Betnovate C ointment is appropriate for use on dry, scaly areas of skin
- Betnovate C must be applied in a thin and even layer
- The initial dose is usually once or twice a day
- Clean and dry the area on which Betnovate C has to be used
- Hands should be properly washed before and after applying Betnovate C
- Do not wash the area with the Betnovate immediately after application
- Betnovate C should be used for as long as your doctor recommends
Common Dosage For Betnovate C?
The drug dosage and form are decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
Betnovate C topical cream or ointment is usually applied over the affected area 1 or 2 times daily for no more than 4 weeks at a time.
Also read: Candid B Dosage | Calcirol Dosage | Bifilac Dosage
Precautions – When To Avoid Betnovate C?
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided if you are allergic to Betamethasone or Clioquinol or any other ingredients present in Betnovate C
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in wounded or infected areas of skin unless the infection is also being treated
- Betnovate C should not be applied on the face unless advised by your physician
- If you have a history of allergy after taking steroid medication
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in children less than 1 year of age
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in viral skin infections, such as herpes simplex infection, chickenpox
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in fungal skin infections, such as thrush, athlete’s foot
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in acne & acne rosacea
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in widespread plaque psoriasis
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in nappy rashes
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in an itchy skin with no inflammation
- The use of Betnovate C should be avoided in inflammatory rashes around the mouth
Side-effects of Betnovate C?
Side effects are commonly seen if Betnovate C is used on:
- Extensive areas of skin
- Wounded skin
- Skin folds
- Under airtight dressings
or if it is used for a very long period of time
Possible side-effects of Betnovate C:
- Red itchy bumps on the skin
- Burning sensation on applying
- Increase or aggravation of infections
- Thinning of the skin
- Decreased skin pigmentation
- Stretch marks
- Tiny blood vessels cause threadlike red lines or patterns on the skin (telangiectasia)
- Excessive hair growth
NOTE: In rare occasions, Betnovate C can get absorbed in high amounts and can cause side effects on other parts of the body.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported with Betnovate C are:
- Swelling around lips, face, and throat
- Red, itchy bumps on the skin
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Drugs that can possibly interfere with Betnovate C are:
- Vigabatran (used for the treatment of epilepsy)
- Ritonovir (anti-HIV drug)
- Itraconazole (an anti-fungal drug)
- If you need to use other drugs on the same area of skin leave a gap of a few minutes between each application to avoid mixing of drugs
- If you need to use a moisturizer, it is advisable to apply it 30 minutes before applying Betnovate C so as to soften the skin surface and allow enhanced absorption of Betnovate C
- Please note that application of moisturiser just before/after application of Betnovate C can dilute the drug and decrease its effectiveness.
Shows Effects / Results In
The time taken for Betnovate C to show its effect depends upon the condition being treated.
Storage Requirements for Betnovate C
- Keep Betnovate C in its tube until time to use it
- Keep Betnovate C Cream in a cool, dry place where it stays below 30°C
- Keep Betnovate C Ointment in a cool, dry place where it stays below 25°C
- Keep Betnovate C out of direct sunlight
- Do not store Betnovate C or any other medicine in the bathroom or near a sink
- Do not leave it on a window sill or in the car
Pro Tips When Taking Betnovate C
- Never discontinue or initiate or alter the drug dose unless advised by your physician
- Avoid contact with the eyes, mouth or nose. It is advisable to rinse with cold water in case of an accidental contact
- Before applying Betnovate C, you must wash your hands thoroughly
- Never cover the area being treated with a bandage or any other airtight dressing unless advised by the physician
- Betnovate C should not be applied near flammable objects like gas or electric fires
- Do not smoke while applying Betnovate C
- Betnovate C can cause skin thinning if applied for a very long time
- If you have eczema around a leg ulcer, using a topical corticosteroid may increase the risk of an allergic reaction or an infection around the ulcer
- Betnovate C may stain hair, skin or fabric
- Cover application with dressing to protect clothing
Betamethasone present in Betnovate C was accepted for medical use in the US in 1961
Is Betnovate C Addictive?
Can I have Betnovate C with alcohol?
No. Please inform your physician before consuming alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Do not smoke while applying Betnovate C.
Can I have Betnovate C When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Betnovate C should be used in pregnant females only after assessing the potential benefit-risk ration to the mother and foetus.
Can I have Betnovate C when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child. Betnovate C should be avoided in breastfeeding women as it can appear in human milk and can inhibit growth and cause other untoward effects.
Can I drive after taking Betnovate C?
Kindly consult your physician.
What happens if I overdose on Betnovate C?
If you have applied an over-dose, it is advisable to wash it with cold water and contact your consulting physician.
What happens if I use expired Betnovate C?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Betnovate C to produce an adverse event Please consult a physician if you feel itching or any symptom after applying for expired medicine
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition
- It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Betnovate C?
If you forget to use Betnovate C apply it as soon as you remember then continue as before. Do not apply extra Betnovate C to make up for missed doses.