February 14th is celebrated as the day of love the world over! Preparations for Valentines Day starts a week early and a host of interesting days have popped up to keep the spirit of love alive. From Rose Day to Kiss Day to Chocolate Day, Valentine’s Week is surely filled with huge amount of festivity, love and chocolates.
There are some weird and fun facts that revolve around Valentine’s Day you probably didn’t know about. Read on to know these lesser known facts:
- One of the most popular theories about the origin of Valentine’s Day is that Emperor Claudius II didn’t want his Roman soldiers and men to get married during wartime. However, Bishop Valentine went against this decree and performed marriages in secret (bless him!). He was sent to jail for this but he set the wheel in momentum to unite lovers.
- If you’re single with a pet you need not fret. Thanks to retail stats, almost 3% pet owners go ahead and gift their pets something on Valentine’s Day. That surely is cuteness overload and they do deserve to know they’re loved!
- Romeo and Juliet are the face of undying love which is why even to this day, the city of Verona in Italy receives over 1000 letters addressed to Juliet.
- During the Middle Ages, young men and women picked out names from a bowl to find out who their Valentine would be. They would then wear this name on their sleeve for everyone to see. This is how the saying “wearing your heart on your sleeve” came into practice.
- Close to 1 billion cards are exchanged on Valentine’s Day making it the second most celebrated holiday in the world. The first is of course Christmas!
If you’re single on Valentines’ Day, you need not fret. You can celebrate Singles Awareness Day (SAD) (Pun intended?) instead which is a humourous take on Valentine’s Day.
Whether you’re single or not, go ahead and wear your heart on your sleeve and celebrate Valentine’s Day in full swing! CashKaro wishes everyone a very Happy and Loving Valentine’s Day!