What is Breo Ellipta?
Breo Ellipta contains fluticasone furoate, an inhaled corticosteroid, and vilanterol, a long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist as chief ingredients.
Uses of Breo Ellipta
Breo Ellipta is indicated in:
- patients suffering from a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- treatment of asthma in patients aged 18 years and older
How does Breo Ellipta work?
- Breo Ellipta contains fluticasone furoate and vilanterol.
- Fluticasone is a corticosteroid that decreases the swelling of the airways in the lungs and makes breathing easier.
- Vilanterol is a long-acting beta-agonists. It works by opening airways in the lungs and makes breathing easier.
How to Take Breo Ellipta?
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Breo Ellipta are based on your age, the severity of the condition, physical health, and response to therapy.
- Breo Ellipta is meant for oral inhalation only.
- Breo Ellipta is available in the form of powder along with a special inhaler device. The device opens and loads a measured quantity of Breo Ellipta powder each time the patient use the inhaler.
- You must follow the patient instructions provided with the inhaler device.
- Breo Ellipta should not be stopped on your own without a doctor’s consent.
Breo Ellipta Price In India
|Specifics||Breo Ellipta Price|
|100 mcg/200 mcg: 200 metered Dose||Rs 1000/Unit|
Also Read: Cymbalta Price | Benzonatate Price
Common Dosage for Breo Ellipta?
The recommended dose of BREO ELLIPTA in adults 18 years of age and older is:
- BREO ELLIPTA 100/25 mcg – One inhalation once daily
- BREO ELLIPTA 200/25 mcg – Not indicated
- BREO ELLIPTA 100/25 mcg – One inhalation once daily
- BREO ELLIPTA 200/25 mcg – One inhalation once daily
Also Read: Buspar Dosage | Crestor Dosage | Dulera Dosage
When to Avoid Breo Ellipta?
Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) should be avoided or used with caution in:
- If you suffer from allergy to fluticasone furoate, vilanterol or any of its components
- Patients with severe hypersensitivity to milk proteins
- In the primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute episodes of asthma.
- Do not use Breo Ellipta to relieve sudden breathing problems.
- Breo Ellipta should not be used in children and adolescents.
Side effects of Breo Ellipta?
In addition to its intended uses, Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- In COPD patients – nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, headache, oral fungal infections, back pain, pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, cough, oral/throat pain, body pain, pain in joints, high blood pressure, cold and cough, pharyngitis, and fever.
- In asthma patients – Most common adverse reactions are nasopharyngitis, oral fungal infections, headache, influenza, upper respiratory tract infection, bronchitis, sinusitis, oral/throat pain, difficulty in speaking, and cough.
- Other side effects include –
- effects on heart: increased blood pressure; a fast or irregular heartbeat, awareness of heartbeat; chest pain.
- effects on the nervous system: tremor; nervousness.
- bone thinning or weakness.
- eye problems including glaucoma and cataracts.
- changes in laboratory blood values: high blood sugar and low potassium
- slowed growth in children.
Also Read: Wellbutrin Side Effect | Zithromax Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Dose adjustment of Breo Ellipta is not needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions with Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
- Angioedema (painless swelling under the skin)
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Breo Ellipta. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drugs which interact with Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) are listed below:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants
- Do not use in combination with an additional medicine containing a long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist
Using all these products along with Breo Ellipta can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Breo Ellipta is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In
- The amount of time taken by Breo Ellipta to show its effects depends upon its intended use.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken even if symptoms have disappeared.
Is Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported. However, overdependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Breo Ellipta with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Breo Ellipta therapy.
- It is best not to drink alcohol when on Breo Ellipta therapy. Consult your doctor for further recommendations.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) when pregnant?
- Breo Ellipta is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Breo Ellipta when feeding a baby?
- Breo Ellipta is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into breast milk.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Breo Ellipta?
Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) may cause tremors, nervousness, and increased blood pressure as side effects. Make sure you are not affected before you drive.
What happens if I overdose on Breo Ellipta?
- Breo Ellipta should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency may cause serious side effects.
- If suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol)?
- A single dose of expired Breo Ellipta may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Breo Ellipta?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times for its effective working,
- If you forgot to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take a double dose.
Storage Requirements for Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol)
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Breo Ellipta
- Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone Furoate And Vilanterol) can cause oral fungal infections. Advise the patient to rinse his/her mouth with water without swallowing after inhalation to help reduce the risk.
- Assess for a decrease in bone mineral density initially and periodically thereafter.