Table of Contents
- What is Calci?
- Uses of Calci
- How does Calci work?
- Calci Price In India
- How to take Calci?
- Common dosage of Calci
- When to avoid Calci & Precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Calci
- Effect on organs?
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Shows effects
- Storage Requirements for Calci
- Pro Tips when taking Calci
- FAQs – Things to Know About Calci
- Is Calci addictive?
- Can I have Calci with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Calci when pregnant?
- Can I have Calci when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Calci?
- What happens if I overdose on Calci?
- What happens if I eat expired Calci?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Calci?
Calci Composition – Cholecalciferol 60000 IU /GM
Manufactured By – Algen Healthcare Limited
Prescription – Prescription not Required
Form – Powder
Price – Rs 11.9
Quantity – 1 Sachet
What is Calci?
- Calci is a supplement and is used to prevent or treat low blood calcium levels in people who do not get enough calcium from their diets.
- It may be used to treat conditions such as osteoporosis, osteomalacia or rickets, hypoparathyroidism, and latent tetany.
- Women who are pregnant, nursing, or postmenopausal, people taking certain medications such as phenytoin, phenobarbital, or prednisone also take this supplement.
Buy with Discounts: Netmeds Offers | Medlife Offers
Uses of Calci
Calci is prescribed for:
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Low blood calcium level
- Increase the force of contraction of the heart
- Bone formation
- Blood coagulation
Also Read: Bioflex Uses
How does Calci work?
- Calci works by increasing absorption of calcium and phosphorus required for strong bones.
- It also works as a dietary supplement to provide enough calcium.
Calci Price In India
|Calci-D3 3gm packet of Granules||Rs. 14.00|
|Calci-D3 Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs. 70.00|
|Calci- D3 200ml Bottle of Syrup||Rs. 102.00|
|Calci Strip of 10 soft gelatin Capsules||Rs. 129.00|
How to take Calci?
- Calci is administered orally in the form of tablets or liquid solution, with or without food.
- Chewable tablets need to be chewed well before swallowing.
- Effervescent tablets need to be fully dissolve in a glass of water before drinking it
Common dosage of Calci
The recommended dose for adults is 1000 mg and for children below 3 years of age is 700 mg, both in the morning and at night.
Also Read: Avomine Dosage
When to avoid Calci & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Calci if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Do not take this medicine if you have difficulty absorbing nutrition from food.
- Caution is advised in patients with pancreatic disorder, heart, lungs or kidney disease.
- Calci is not recommended of use in patients with already high calcium levels.
- Patients with little or no stomach acid should be cautious while receiving this supplement; consult your doctor.
- Phenylketonuria patients should not take this supplement.
- Calcium can interfere with thyroid hormone replacement treatment, thus separate calcium and thyroid medications by at least 4 hours
Also Read: Aciloc Precaution | Analgin Precaution
Side Effects of Calci
- Stomach upset
- Stomach ache
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling of sickness
- Excessive thirst
- Muscle weakness
- Drowsiness or confusion
- Excess calcium in the blood or urine
Effect on organs?
Renal disorders- a Kidney stone.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Swelling of face, throat, hands or legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Ceftriaxone (Rocephin) – Administering IV ceftriaxone and this supplement can result in life-threatening damage to the lungs and kidneys.
- Antibiotics (Quinolone antibiotics) – Calci might decrease how much antibiotic body absorbs. Antibiotics include ciprofloxacin (Cipro), enoxacin (Penetrex), norfloxacin (Chibroxin, Noroxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam), and trovafloxacin (Trovan).
- Antibiotics (Tetracycline antibiotics) – Calcium can attach to some antibiotics called tetracycline in the stomach, decreasing the amount of tetracycline that can be absorbed. These include demeclocycline (Declomycin), minocycline (Minocin), and tetracycline (Achromycin).
- Bisphosphonates- Calcium can decrease how much bisphosphate the body absorbs. These include alendronate (Fosamax), etidronate (Didronel), risedronate (Actonel), and tiludronate (Skelid).
- Calcipotriene (Dovonex) – This drug that is similar to vitamin D. Taking calcium supplements along with this medicine might cause the body to have too much calcium.
- Digoxin (Lanoxin) – Taking calcium supplement along with digoxin might increase the effects of digoxin and lead to an irregular heartbeat.
- Diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac) – Taking large amounts of calcium along with diltiazem might decrease the effectiveness of diltiazem.
- Levothyroxine- Taking calcium along with levothyroxine might decrease the effectiveness of levothyroxine.
- Lithium interacts with this supplement.
- Verapamil- Both calcium and verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan) affects the heart.
- Water pills- Taking large amounts of calcium with some diuretics might cause there to be too much calcium in the body leading to kidney problems.
Calci supplement results in treating low blood calcium levels in people.
Storage Requirements for Calci
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Calci
- Quit smoking while receiving this supplement because smoking reduces the absorption of calcium from stomach.
- Add calcium rich-food such as milk, cheese and yogurt.
FAQs – Things to Know About Calci
Is Calci addictive?
Can I have Calci with alcohol?
Ask your doctor.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid caffeinated soda and coffee.
Can I have Calci when pregnant?
Yes; only if benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I have Calci when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Calci?
What happens if I overdose on Calci?
Overdose of Calci may cause nausea or vomiting, loss of appetite, mood changes, headache, weakness, tiredness.
What happens if I eat expired Calci?
Expired Calci may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Calci?
If you miss a dose of Calci, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.