Table of Contents
- What is Camdem?
- Uses of Camdem
- How does Camdem work?
- How to Take Camdem?
- Common Dosage for Camdem
- When to avoid Camdem?
- Precautions While Taking Camdem
- Side-Effects of Camdem
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Camdem – Composition, Variant and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Camdem
- FAQs – 11 Important Questions Answered about Camdem
1What is Camdem?
Camdem is a combination medicine containing Escitalopram which is a “selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor” and Clonazepam which is a “Benzodiazepine”. This combination is mainly used for treatment of Panic attacks, depression and seizures of different types. Camdem works by restoring the balance of certain neurotransmitters (chemicals) in brain that help regulate mood. Camdem is available in tablet form for oral administration and should always be administered under medical supervision as it may lead to several adverse effects like blurred vision, dizziness etc.
Composition: Escitalopram – 10mg, Clonazepam – 0.5mg
Manufactured by – Sinsan Pharmaceuticals
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs. 105
Type of Drug – Anti-epileptic and anti-depressant
2Uses of Camdem
Camdem is used for the treatment of:
- Anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Seizures of different types
- Post traumatic stress disorder
3How does Camdem work?
- Camdem contains Escitalopram as its active ingredient. Escitalopram works by inhibiting serotonin reuptake thus increasing the level of serotonin, a chemical messenger in brain. Increased serotonin levels in the brain improve the mood and relieve symptoms of depression and panic and anxiety disorders.
- Clonazepam on the other hand works by altering the levels of certain neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) like GABA in our brain which are unbalanced in people with anxiety.
4How to Take Camdem?
- Camdem is available in tablet form for oral administration.
- When taken in oral form, it is advised to take this medicine with food or immediately after food to prevent any gastric side effect.
- Swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush the tablet.
- Never use Camdem in more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- To minimise the risk of adverse effects, your doctor might initially start with a low dose and gradually increase your dose.
- Do not stop treatment with Camdem suddenly. The dosage should be tapered gradually and then stopped. Stopping the medicine suddenly may lead to withdrawal symptoms like vertigo, dizziness, flu like symptoms, irritability etc.
5Common Dosage for Camdem
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Camdem is usually recommended as a single daily dose to be administered in the morning or evening with or without food. The dose can be gradually increased if symptoms don’t subside.
- Once the desired results are achieved, the dose can then be gradually tapered by the physician and a maintenance dose of lowest effective dosage can be maintained till advised.
- The dose should be reduced in elderly patients and patients with hepatic involvement.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Camdem?
Camdem should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may lead to serious side-effects like dizziness, sweating, respiratory depression, confusion etc. In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Camdem?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Camdem?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Camdem?
Patients may notice improvement within 30-40 minutes following oral administration of Clonasig. Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised as sudden withdrawal can lead to unwanted withdrawal symptoms.
Q. Till when does the effect of Camdem stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is 6-8 hours in adults and more than 12 hours in children.
6When to avoid Camdem?
Camdem should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with liver or kidney problem
- Patients with suicidal thoughts
- Patients with heart disease or stroke
- Patients on MAO inhibitor drugs
- Glaucoma patients
- Patient with alcohol or drug addiction
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
7Precautions While Taking Camdem
- Abrupt discontinuation of Camdem may lead to withdrawal symptoms like vertigo, dizziness, flu like symptoms, fast heart beat. Thus dose should be gradually tapered before discontinuing.
- Few patients (especially children, adolescents and young adults) on Camdem may show increased risk of suicidal tendencies and behavior and thus should be regularly monitored.
- It may increase the risk of habit forming tendency if taken for longer period of time or in larger doses.
8Side-Effects of Camdem
Camdem may produce certain side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects:
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
- Low sexual desire
- Delayed ejaculation
- Blurred vision
Inform your doctor if you have any of the below mentioned less common side effects:
- Respiratory depression
- Slurred speech
- Rapid heart beat
- Low sodium levels in body – headache, confusion, severe weakness, loss of coordination etc.
- Serotonin syndrome/toxicity – fast heartbeat, hallucinations, severe dizziness, twitching of muscles, unexplained fever, restlessness and loss of coordination.
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Camdem?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Camdem on organs?
Patients with Glaucoma and impaired liver and kidney function should administer Camdem with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Camdem. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Camdem
No such interaction with food products observed.
2. Medicines Interactions with Camdem
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- MAO inhibitors (severe)
- Cimetidine (moderate)
- Lithium (moderate)
- Warfarin (severe)
- Aspirin (moderate)
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (moderate)
- Diuretics (severe)
- Tramadol (moderate)
- Diazepam (moderate)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
3. Effects of Camdem on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Camdem.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver diseases and kidney disease must consult their physician before consuming Camdem.
Q. Can I have Camdem with alcohol?
Concomitant administration of Camdem with alcohol increases the risk of side effects like dizziness and drowsiness thus it should be avoided.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interactions observed with any food products.
Q. Can I have Camdem when pregnant?
Camdem should be used with caution in pregnancy as it has shown adverse effects on foetus when administered at doses greater than the therapeutic dose. It should not be used specifically in first few weeks and last few months of pregnancy Thus, Camdem should only be used if the benefits justify the risk to the foetus. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Camdem when feeding a baby?
Camdem should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to fatal adverse effects in foetus.
Q. Can I drive after taking Camdem?
Camdem does affect your ability to drive as it is associated with side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness thus it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
10Camdem – Composition, Variant and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Camdem Variants||Camdem Composition||Camdem Price (Rs.)|
|Camdem 10mg||Escitalopram – 10mg, Clonazepam – 0.5mg||Rs. 105|
11Substitutes of Camdem
The following are alternative drugs for Camdem:
- Nexito Plus tablet
- Manufactured by – Sun Pharmaceutical industries Ltd
- Price – Rs. 81
- Rexipra Plus tablet
- Manufactured by – Intas pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 73.5
- Joycom plus tablet
- Manufactured by – Saffron therapeutics Pvt Ltd
- Price – Rs. 106
Storage requirements for Camdem
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
12FAQs – 11 Important Questions Answered about Camdem
Q. What is Camdem?
Camdem is a combination medicine containing Escitalopram which is a “selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor” and Clonazepam which is a “Benzodiazepine”. This combination is mainly used for treatment of Panic attacks, depression and seizures of different types. Camdem works by restoring the balance of certain neurotransmitters (chemicals) in brain that help regulate mood.
Q. What are the uses of Camdem?
It is mainly used for treatment of Panic attacks, depression and seizures of different types.
Q. What are the side effects of Camdem?
Ans. The most common side effects of Camdem are Dizziness, Weakness, Loss of appetite, Nausea, Vomiting, Dry mouth
Q. Should Camdem be taken on an empty stomach?
Camdem can be administered with or without food.
Q. Does Camdem make you drowsy?
Yes Camdem may make you feel dizzy and drowsy.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Camdem doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 8-12 hours between two doses of Camdem.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Camdem effect my menstrual cycle?
Camdem may affect menstrual cycle in females.
Q. Is Camdem safe for children?
Camdem is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Camdem?
Few patients (especially children, adolescents and young adults) on Camdem may show increased risk of suicidal tendencies and behavior and thus should be regularly monitored.
Q. Is Camdem legal in India?
Yes, it is legal.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.