Canesten Composition – Clotrimazole (1% w/w)
Manufactured By – Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
Prescription – Prescription not Required
Form – Cream
Price – Rs 45.78
Quantity – 15 gm in 1 tube
What is Canesten?
- Canesten is a broad spectrum antifungal medicine used to treat skin infections such as athlete’s foot, jock itch and ringworm.
- This drug also relieves symptoms such as burning, itching, cracking of the skin and discomfort caused by these infections.
Buy Smart & Save Money: 1mg Offers | Practo Offers | NetMeds Coupon Codes
Uses of Canesten
Canesten is prescribed for:
- Oral Thrush
- Skin fungal infections
- Vaginal Candidiasis
How does Canesten work?
- Canesten works by inhibiting the growth of individual fungal cells by altering the permeability of the fungal cell wall.
- This drug binds to phospholipids in the cell membrane and inhibits the biosynthesis of ergosterol and other sterols required for cell membrane production.
- Canesten may be fungistatic (slow fungal growth) or fungicidal (result in fungal cell death).
Canesten Prices in India
|Specifics||Canesten Price in India|
|Canesten S Cream||Rs.69.1|
|Canesten 10mg Cream||Rs.45.78|
|Canesten Dusting Powder||Rs.111.7|
|Canesten 20mg Vaginal Cream||Rs.79.5|
|Canesten Topical Solution||Rs.55.8|
|Canesten V6 Tablet VT||Rs.54.6|
How to take Canesten?
- Canesten is administered orally in the form of tablet or solution.
- It is also used topically in the form of cream, lotion or solution.
Read About: Canesten Composition
Common dosage of Canesten
- The recommended dose for adults is 10 mg per day for 7 days.
- For suppository, the dose is 100 mg per day for 6 days.
- Apply lotion or cream for 2-3 times every day for 2-4 weeks.
When to avoid Canesten & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Canesten if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Canesten is not recommended for use in the eyes.
- This drug should not be used until the infection is diagnosed by a doctor.
- It may cause burning and irritation upon vaginal application.
- Use this medicine for the full prescribed course even when the symptoms get better. Otherwise the infection may recur and the fungi may get less sensitive to the medicine resulting in drug resistance.
- Caution is advised for use in patients with immune disorders such as Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) since the safety and efficacy of this medicine are not clinically established in patients with such conditions.
Read About: Captopril Precaution
Side Effects of Canesten
- Abdominal pain
- Vaginal bleeding
- Skin rash
- Redness of skin
- Vaginal infection
Know About: Cetaphil Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Dermatologic reactions- Erythema, stinging, blistering, peeling, edema, itching, burning, and general skin irritation.
- Genitourinary reactions- Intravaginal use cause symptoms like burning, itching, cramping, pain, and bleeding.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Swelling of face, throat, hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
Topical Canesten does not interact with any medicine, however oral Canesten might interact with few drugs including Amphotericin B.
- Canesten works by killing the overgrowth of yeast or fungus that causes the infection.
- Canesten usually starts to work within a few days of starting treatment and the treatment may be needed for up to 4 weeks, depending on the infection being treated.
Storage Requirements for Canesten
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Canesten
- Wash your hands before and after application of the topical cream.
- Occlusive dressing over the affected area is not advised.
Is Canesten addictive?
Can I have Canesten with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No; not until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Canesten when pregnant?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I have Canesten when feeding a baby?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I drive after taking Canesten?
What happens if I overdose on Canesten?
Overdose of Canesten is not known. If the topical cream is swallowed it may be harmful.
What happens if I eat expired Canesten?
Expired Canesten may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Canesten?
If you miss a dose of Canesten, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.