What is Cefixime 200?
Cefixime 200 belongs to “cephalosporin” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections.
Manufactured By – Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Mefixime 200Mg Tablet / Efixime 200Mg Tablet||Cefixime 200 MG|
|Cefuxime 500Mg Tablet||Cefuroxime 500 MG|
|Efixime 100Mg Tablet||Cefixime 100 MG|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy
Uses of Cefixime 200
Cefixime 200 is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc.
Cefixime 200 is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infections of ear, throat, tonsils etc
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
Cefixime 200 may be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Cyra-D Uses | Cyclopam Uses
How does Cefixime 200 work?
Cefixime 200 belongs to cephalosporins group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability). Cephalosporins disrupt the bacterial cell wall which is important for the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane thus killing the bacteria and checking its growth.
Cefixime 200 Price In India
|Specifics||Cefixime 200 Price|
|200 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 100.9|
Also Read: Cyclopam Syrup Price | Calpol Price
How to Take Cefixime 200?
- Cefixime 200 tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go.
- They can be taken with or without food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor.
- When on Cefixime 200 therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course or skipping the doses as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug and
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to this drug thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Common Dosage for Cefixime 200
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- Cefixime 200 is usually taken either with food or immediately after food. Dosage depends upon the condition of the patient. The standard adult dose of Cefixime 200 is 400 mg daily which can be prescribed as 200 mg tablet twice daily.
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Cefixime 200 may need to be reduced.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Also Read: Darolac Dosage | Dapoxetine Dosage | CYPON Syrup Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Cefixime 200?
Cefixime 200 should not be used with:
- If you are allergic to Cefixime 200
- If you are allergic to drugs belonging to cephalosporin family like cefaclor, cefepime, cefuroxime etc
- History of penicillin allergy
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients suffering from colitis
Side-effects of Cefixime 200 MG Tablet
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients.
More commonly observed side effects may include:
- Severe stomach pain
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Watery and severe diarrhea
- Signs of kidney disease (decreased urinary output)
- Yellowing of eyes/skin
- Dark coloured urine
- Altered blood cell count
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Reported Allergic Reactions
Although Cefixime 200 MG Tablet is used to treat bacterial infections but an allergic reaction to Cefixime 200 might occur.
Possible allergic reactions reported include: itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
Effect on organs
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Cefixime 200 should be administered with caution.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use.
- You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Some of the common drugs which interact with Cefixime 200 MG Tablet include:
- Warfarin and other anticoagulants
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time taken for Cefixime 200 to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Some patients might show decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Storage Requirements for Cefixime 200 MG Tablet
Protect from humidity, light, and temperatures above 40C.
Pro Tips When Taking Cefixime 200 –
- For assessing sugar in urine using Benedict’s solution or Fehling’s solution may show a false-positive reaction in patients on Cefixime 200 MG Tablet. It is recommended that some other glucose tests based on other methods be used in such patients.
- Similarly, a false-positive direct Coombs test has been reported in patients administering Cefixime 200 therefore, it should be recognized that a positive Coombs test may be due to the drug
Also Read in Hindi: About Cefixime
Is Cefixime 200 Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Cefixime 200 MG Tablet with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol with Cefixime 200 is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Cefixime 200 MG Tablet When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- The medicine should only be administered if absolutely necessary after medical advice as there are no adequate long term well controlled studies in pregnant women.
Can I have Cefixime 200 when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- Cefixime 200 MG Tablet has not been studied for use during lactation.
- Treatment should only be given after consulting your doctor.
Can I drive after taking Cefixime 200?
- Cefixime 200 Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive.
- Few patients might experience dizziness, in such cases it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Cefixime 200 MG Tablet?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects.
- In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Cefixime 200?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Cefixime 200 MG Tablet to produce an adverse event.
- However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cefixime 200 MG Tablet?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.
Also read about other medicine's: Ciplox 500
👋CashKaro Exclusive Offer👋
Hungry for more Cashback 💸? Download CashKaro App to get a Rs 60 bonus Cashback + Save up to Rs 15,000/month on online shopping.