Table of Contents
- 1 What is Cefotaxime?
- 2 Uses of Cefotaxime
- 3 How Does Cefotaxime Work?
- 4 How to Take Cefotaxime?
- 5 Cefotaxime Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Cefotaxime?
- 7 When to Avoid Cefotaxime?
- 8 Side-Effects of Cefotaxime
- 9 Effects of Cefotaxime on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Cefotaxime
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Cefotaxime addictive?
- 15 Can I have Cefotaxime with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Cefotaxime when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Cefotaxime when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Cefotaxime?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Cefotaxime?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Cefotaxime?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Cefotaxime?
- 23 Storage Requirements for Cefotaxime
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Cefotaxime
Cefotaxime Composition – Cefotaxime 1 GM /INJ
Manufactured By – Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Injection
Price – Rs 36
Quantity – 1gm
What is Cefotaxime?
Cefotaxime is an antibacterial medicine. It is used for prevention and treatment of many types of bacterial infections.
Uses of Cefotaxime
Cefotaxime is used in the treatment of:
- Skin and soft-tissue infections
- Joint infections
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Urinary tract infections
- Ear infection,
- Bone infection,
- Blood infection,
- Abdomen infection,
- Genital infection
- Lungs infection
- Infections after surgery
Also Read: Ceftazidime Uses | Chloramphenicol Uses | Supradyn Uses
How Does Cefotaxime Work?
The cell wall is essential for bacteria to survive and multiply. Cefotaxime acts by destroying the cell wall of the bacteria, thereby killing them.
How to Take Cefotaxime?
- Cefotaxime tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water.
- You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it.
- If you are prescribed with syrup form then measure the quantity prescribed with a measuring cup and drink it.
- Always shake the bottle before use.
- If you are prescribed with injection then your doctor or nurse will inject it into your veins.
- You may consume Cefotaxime on an empty or full stomach.
Cefotaxime Price In India
|Vial of 125 mg Injection||Rs 12.28|
|Vial of 250 mg Injection||Rs 15.37|
|Vial of 500 mg Injection||Rs 21.48|
Also read about other medicine Price: Azathioprine Price
Common Dosage for Cefotaxime?
Cefotaxime is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Cefotaxime?
Avoid Cefotaxime if:
- You are allergic to any component of Cefotaxime
- You have kidney disease
- You have a stomach disease
- You have intestinal diseases
Side-Effects of Cefotaxime
Some of the reported side effects of Cefotaxime are:
- Stomach pain
- Injection site reaction
Also Read: Amphotericin B Side Effect | Ampicillin Side Effect
Effects of Cefotaxime on Organs?
Long-term use of Cefotaxime is not safe for patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Cefotaxime are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Cefotaxime:
- Blood-thinning medications
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics
- Birth control pills
Effects/Results After Consuming Cefotaxime
The effect of Cefotaxime can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your bacterial infection will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Cefotaxime
Is Cefotaxime addictive?
Cefotaxime is not addictive in nature
Can I have Cefotaxime with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Cefotaxime. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Cefotaxime causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Cefotaxime when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Cefotaxime if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Cefotaxime when feeding a baby?
Cefotaxime is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Cefotaxime?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Cefotaxime. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Cefotaxime?
An overdose of Cefotaxime will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Cefotaxime?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Cefotaxime, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cefotaxime?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for the next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Cefotaxime
- Always store Cefotaxime at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the cap tightly after use of suspension form of Cefotaxime
- Store the injectable form in refrigerator
- Keep Cefotaxime away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Cefotaxime
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Cefotaxime if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Complete the full course of this medication even when your symptoms disappear.
- Your risk of further infection increases if you skip the doses.
- You must consume Cefotaxime either before 1 hour or after 2 hours of a meal to gain the maximum benefit.
Other medicine's to read: Artesunate | Calcium gluconate