Table of Contents
- What is Cefotum Plus?
- Uses of Cefotum Plus
- How does Cefotum Plus work?
- How to take Cefotum Plus?
- Cefotum Plus Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Cefotum Plus?
- Precautions While Taking Cefotum Plus:
- Side-Effects of Cefotum Plus:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Cefotum Plus Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Cefotum Plus
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Cefotum Plus
- Authored By –
1What is Cefotum Plus?
It is mainly used to prevent or treat bacterial infections like meningitis, upper respiratory tract infection and urinary tract infection. Antibiotic associated diarrhoea and transient alteration in blood counts are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver and kidney dysfunction and allergic reactions.
Cefotum Plus Composition: Cefoperazone 1000mg +Sulbactam 500mg
Manufactured By: Biotics Research
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Price: Rs 390 for 1 injection.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Cefotum Plus
Cefotum Plus serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- UTI: Used to treat upper and lower Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Soft tissue infections: Used to treat soft tissue infection
- RTI: Used to treat upper and lower respiratory tract infection
- Skin infections: Used for skin infections
- Bone and Joint infections: Used to treat bone and Joint infections.
- Meningitis: Used to treat inflammation caused by bacterial infection of meningis.
- Septicemia: Used to treat blood poisoning caused by bacteria/ bacterial toxins.
- Genital Infections: Used to treat gynaecological infections (caused by Neisseria gonnorrhoeae).
3How does Cefotum Plus work?
- Cefotum Plus contains Cefoperazone and Sulbactam as its active ingredient.
- Cefuroxime is a second generation cephalosporin and works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacterial cells.
- Inhibition of cell wall makes the bacterial cells susceptible to the antibiotic and eventually leads to their destruction.
- Sulbactam acts as beta lactamase inhibitor and increases antibacterial activity of cefoperazone.
4How to take Cefotum Plus?
- Cefotum Plus is present in the form of injections.
- Cefotum Plus injection is administered intravenously (IV) by the doctor or other trained medical staff.
- Cefotum Plus injection should be taken with equal time interval between two injections.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug and avoid using the drug as OTC as it is not meant for self administration.
5Cefotum Plus Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Cefotum Plus injection is single injection of 1.5 gm twice a day depending upon the severity of the condition.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Cefotum Plus?
Overdose of Cefotum Plus can cause serious undesirable effects. In cases of overdose, immediately consult the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Cefotum Plus?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Cefotum Plus?
Expired Cefotum Plus might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Cefotum Plus?
The effect of Cefotum Plus can be seen within first few days of starting the therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Cefotum Plus stays?
Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
6When to Avoid Cefotum Plus?
Do not Consume Cefotum Plus if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Cefuroxime, cephalosporin, penicillin or any other antibiotics.
- Liver/ Kidney diseases: In cases of patients with biliary obstruction or moderate to severe liver or kidney diseases or dysfunction.
- Poor diet/ malabsorption state: In cases of poor diet and malabsorption state, vitamin K deficiency has been reported after administration of this drug.
7 Precautions While Taking Cefotum Plus:
- Proper administration: Cefotum Plus should be administered by trained medical staff only.
- Allergy: Cefotum Plus should be used with extra caution in patients with hypersensitivity or allergic history with antibiotics of same generation or different generation.
Warnings When Taking Cefotum Plus
- Always inform the doctor if there has been a history of or present liver or kidney diseases.
- Always inform the doctor about any history of jaundice.
- Prolonged use can lead to overgrowth of non susceptible organisms.
- Advisable to check periodically for organ dysfunction in patients on prolonged therapy
8Side-Effects of Cefotum Plus:
The side effects associated with Cefotum Plus are:
- Clostridium difficile associated diarrhoea (mild diarrhoea to fatal colitis) (common)
- Headache ( less common)
- Fever (common)
- Chills (common)
- Pain at injection site ( less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Itching (common)
- Alterations in blood counts (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Cefotum Plus?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Breathing difficulty
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Cefotum Plus on organs?
Cefotum Plus dose is to be modified in cases of patients with liver and kidney impairment.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when getting Cefotum Plus administered. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while getting Cefotum Plus administered. We explore these n details below:
1. Food Interactions with Cefotum Plus
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
2. Medicines Interactions with Cefotum Plus
As Cefotum Plus is administered intravenously, orally administered drugs have little or no interaction with this drug. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use specially solutions containing ethanol. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
3. Effects of Cefotum Plus on Lab Tests
Cefotum Plus can cause transient alteration in blood counts.
4. Cefotum Plus’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
liver or kidney dysfunction or allergy
Q. Can I consume alcohol after getting Cefotum Plus administered?
No, consuming alcohol as late as on 5th day after getting Cefotum Plus administered can cause sweating, headache and increased heart rate. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Cefotum Plus.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
Q. Can I get Cefotum Plus administered when pregnant?
No, as very few studies have been conducted of Cefotum Plus in pregnant women. Therefore, inform the doctor in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I get Cefotum Plus administered when feeding a baby?
No, Cefotum Plus should only be used when necessary while feeding a baby. The drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after getting Cefotum Plus administered?
Cefotum Plus has no affect on the ability to drive but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
10Buyer’s Guide – Cefotum Plus Composition, Variant and Price
|Cefotum Plus Variant||Cefotum Plus Composition||Cefotum Plus Price|
|Cefotum 1gm Injection||Cefoperazone sodium 1gm + Sulbactam 500mg||Rs. 215.00 for 1 pack.|
11Substitutes of Cefotum Plus
The following are alternative drugs for Cefotum Plus:
- Magnex 1gm Injection:
- Manufactured by Pfizer Ltd
- Price- Rs. 570.33
- Cefoperam Injection:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price- Rs. 330
- C-Bactum 1gm Injection:
- Manufactured by VHB
- Price- Rs. 225
- Cebanex 1gm Injection:
- Manufactured by Orchid
- Price- Rs. 116
Storage requirements for Cefotum Plus
- Store the Cefotum Plus tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Cefotum Plus
Q. What is Cefotum Plus?
Ans. Cefotum Plus is a synthetically derived antibiotic which contains Cefoperazone and Sulbactam as its main active ingredient.
It is predominantly used for infections known to be caused by bacteria like ear and skin infections, UTI and Upper respiratory tract infections.
Q. What are the uses of Cefotum Plus?
Ans. Cefotum Plus is predominantly used for infections known to be caused by bacteria like ear and skin infections, UTI and Upper respiratory tract infections.
Q. What are the side effects of Cefotum Plus?
Ans. The most common side effects of Cefotum Plus are Clostridium difficile associated diarrhoea (mild diarrhoea to fatal colitis), Headache, Fever, Chills, Pain at injection site, Rashes, Itching, Alterations in blood counts
Q. How long does it take for Cefotum Plus to show results?
Ans. The effect of Cefotum Plus can be seen within first few days of starting the therapy.
Q. Should Cefotum Plus be administered on an empty stomach?
Ans. Cefotum Plus should not be administered to prevent any potential side effect.
Q. Does Cefotum Plus make you drowsy?
Ans. No, Cefotum Plus does not cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Cefotum Plus doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 12 hours should be there between two injections.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Cefotum Plus should be administered as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Cefotum Plus.
Q. Does Cefotum Plus effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Cefotum Plus safe for children?
Ans. Cefotum Plus should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Cefotum Plus?
Ans. Any liver or kidney disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Cefotum Plus.
Q. Is Cefotum Plus legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –