What is Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
Cefpodoxime Proxetil belongs to cephalosporins group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability). Cephalosporins disrupt the bacterial cell wall which is important for the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane thus killing the bacteria and checking its growth.
Uses of Cefpodoxime Proxetil
It is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections.
Cefpodoxime Proxetil is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infections of ear, throat, tonsils, etc.
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
Cefpodoxime Proxetil may be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Read more about other medicine uses: Candid B Cream | Caripill | Cefixime
Cefpodoxime Proxetil Price in India
|Specifics||Cefpodoxime Proxetil Price|
|50 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 82.25|
|100 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 140|
|200 mg Strip of 6 Tablets||Rs 215|
|50 mg/5 ml Syrup||Rs 66.00|
|100 mg/5 ml Syrup||Rs 109.20|
How to Take Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
Available in two forms:
- Tablet: 100 mg and 200 mg
- Oral liquid suspension
Cefpodoxime Proxetil tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go. They should be taken with or immediately food. For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time. Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor.
In case if syrup is used, shake the bottle well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine. Cefpodoxime Proxetil syrup may contain sucrose, so diabetic patients should use it with caution or shall consult with your doctor before consuming it.
When on Cefpodoxime Proxetil therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course or skipping the doses as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to this drug thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Common Dosage for Cefpodoxime Proxetil
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Cefpodoxime Proxetil is usually taken either with food or immediately after food. Dosage depends upon the condition of the patient. The standard dose of Cefpodoxime Proxetil is
Most infections—200 mg every 12 hr
Skin and skin structure infections—400 mg every 12 hr
Urinary tract infections/ pharyngitis—100 mg every 12 hr
Gonorrhea—200 mg single dose. PO (Children 2 mo– 12 yr)
Pharyngitis/tonsillitis/ear infections/acute maxillary sinusitis—5 mg/kg every 12 hr (not to exceed 200 mg/dose)
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Cefpodoxime Proxetil may need to be reduced.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Cefoperazone Sulbactam Dosage | Ceftum 500 Dosage
Precuations – When to Avoid Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
Cefpodoxime Proxetil should not be used with:
- If you are allergic to Cefpodoxime Proxetil
- If you are allergic to drugs belonging to cephalosporin family like Cefaclor, Cefepime, Cefuroxime, etc.
- History of penicillin allergy
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients suffering from colitis
Side-Effects of Cefpodoxime Proxetil
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all patients.
Body – fungal infections, gas in stomach, body pain, fatigue, extreme weakness, fever, chest pain, back pain, chills, generalized pain, abnormal microbiological tests, moniliasis, abscess, allergic reaction, facial swelling, bacterial infections, parasitic infections, localised swelling, localized pain.
Congestive heart failure, migraine, palpitations (pounding heart), dilatation of blood vessels, hematoma, high or lowered blood pressure.
Digestive – vomiting, indigestion, dry mouth, gas in stomach, decreased appetite, constipation, oral fungal infections, eructation or burps, gastritis, mouth ulcers, gastrointestinal disorders, rectal disorders, tongue disorders, tooth disorders, increased thirst, oral lesions, dry throat, toothache.
Metabolic and Nutritional – dehydration, gout, swelling in feet, weight increase.
Pain in muscles, dizziness, insomnia, excessive sleep, anxiety, shakiness, nervousness, brain infarction, change in dreams, impaired concentration, confusion, nightmares, altered sensations, vertigo.
Respiratory – asthma, cough, bleeding from nose, runny nose, wheezing, bronchitis, difficulty in breathing, pneumonia, sinusitis.
Skin – red, itchy bumps on skin, rash, itching, diaphoresis, fungal infections, dry flaky, hair loss
Special Senses – taste alterations, eye irritation, taste loss, ringing sensation in ear.
Urogenital – blood in urine, urinary tract infections, painful urination, urinary frequency, penile infection, vaginal pain.
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Cefpodoxime Proxetil is used to treat bacterial infections but an allergic reaction to Cefpodoxime Proxetil might occur.
Possible allergic reactions reported include: itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips and throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
Effect of Cefpodoxime Proxetil on Organs
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Cefpodoxime Proxetil should be administered with caution.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use, especially
- Antacids: Concomitant administration of high doses of antacids (sodium bicarbonate and aluminium hydroxide) or H2 blockers reduces therapeutic efficacy of Cefpodoxime Proxetil
- Probenecid (used to treat gout)
- Nephrotoxic drugs (affecting kidney) including aminoglycoside antibiotics
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Effects/Results After Consuming Cefpodoxime Proxetil
The time taken for Cefpodoxime Proxetil to show its effect depends upon the form of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
Some patients might show decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Storage Requirements for Cefpodoxime Proxetil
- -Syrups: Protect from light.
- Tablets: Keep away from moist environment, direct light, and temperatures above 400
Pro Tips When Taking Cefpodoxime Proxetil
- A false positive direct Coombs test has been reported in patients administering Cefpodoxime Proxetil. Therefore, it should be recognized that a positive Coombs test may be due to the drug.
- Cefpodoxime Proxetil is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu, etc.
- Never miss the dose prescribed by your doctor even if you start feeling well.
FAQ – Things to Know About Cefpodoxime Proxetil
Is Cefpodoxime Proxetil addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Cefpodoxime Proxetil with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol with Cefpodoxime Proxetil is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Cefpodoxime Proxetil when pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. The medicine should only be administered if absolutely necessary after medical advice as there are no adequate long term well controlled studies in pregnant women.
Can I have Cefpodoxime Proxetil when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child. Cefpodoxime Proxetil has not been studied for use during lactation. Treatment should only be given after consulting your doctor.
Can I drive after taking Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
Cefpodoxime Proxetil Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive.
Few patients might experience dizziness, in such cases it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. In case of overdose, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
It is unlikely for a single dose of expired Cefpodoxime Proxetil to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cefpodoxime Proxetil?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.