Table of Contents
- What is Ceftazidime?
- Uses of Ceftazidime
- How Does Ceftazidime Work?
- How to Take Ceftazidime?
- Ceftazidime Price In India
- Common Dosage for Ceftazidime?
- When to Avoid Ceftazidime?
- Side-Effects of Ceftazidime
- Effects of Ceftazidime on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Ceftazidime
- Is Ceftazidime addictive?
- Can I have Ceftazidime with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Ceftazidime when pregnant?
- Can I have Ceftazidime when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Ceftazidime?
- What happens if I overdose on Ceftazidime?
- What happens if I eat expired Ceftazidime?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Ceftazidime?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Ceftazidime
What is Ceftazidime?
Ceftazidime is an antibacterial agent used to treat a variety of bacterial infections.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Coupon Code | Coupons For Netmeds
Uses of Ceftazidime
- Infection of brain
- Urinary tract infection
- Abdomen infection
- Genital infection
- Lungs infection
- Skin and soft-tissue infection
- Ear infection
- Bone infection
- Blood infection
- Infections after surgery
Also Read: Azathioprine Uses | Calciumgluconate Uses | Cefotaxime Uses
How Does Ceftazidime Work?
Cell wall is very essential for bacteria to survive and multiply. Ceftazidime acts by destroying the cell wall of the bacteria thereby killing them.
How to Take Ceftazidime?
Ceftazidime tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. If you are prescribed with injection form of Ceftazidime then your healthcare provider will give the injection directly into your veins or in muscles of the upper buttock or thigh.
Ceftazidime Price In India
|1 Vial of 2 gm Injection||Rs 590.00|
Common Dosage for Ceftazidime?
Ceftazidime is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Chloramphenicol Dosage | Supradyn Dosage
When to Avoid Ceftazidime?
Avoid Ceftazidime if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have a personal or family history of seizure
- You have gastrointestinal disease
Side-Effects of Ceftazidime
- Abdominal pain
- Increased heartbeat
- Yellow coloration of skin and eye.
Effects of Ceftazidime on Organs?
Long term use of Ceftazidime is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Ceftazidime are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- Cholera Vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine
- Blood thinning medications
Effects/Results After Consuming Ceftazidime
The effect of Ceftazidime can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your infection symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Ceftazidime
Is Ceftazidime addictive?
Ceftazidime is not addictive in nature
Can I have Ceftazidime with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Ceftazidime. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Ceftazidime causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Ceftazidime when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Ceftazidime if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Ceftazidime when feeding a baby?
Ceftazidime is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Ceftazidime?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Ceftazidime. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Ceftazidime?
Overdose of Ceftazidime will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Ceftazidime?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Ceftazidime, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ceftazidime?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Ceftazidime at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Store the injectable solution in a refrigerator
- Keep Ceftazidime away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Ceftazidime
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Ceftazidime if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- It is advised to drink a lot of fluid while on this medication.
- Your doctor must know your complete medical history and allergies before prescribing Ceftazidime to you.
Also read about other medicine's: Amphotericin B | Ampicillin | Artesunate