Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ceftriaxone?
- 2 Uses of Ceftriaxone
- 3 How does Ceftriaxone work?
- 4 Ceftriaxone Price in India
- 5 How to Take Ceftriaxone?
- 6 Common Dosage for Ceftriaxone Tablet?
- 7 When to Avoid Ceftriaxone Tablet?
- 8 Side-effects of Ceftriaxone Tablet?
- 9 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 10 What Are The Effects of Ceftriaxone Tablet on Organs?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Ceftriaxone Tablet Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Ceftriaxone Tablet with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Ceftriaxone Tablet When Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Ceftriaxone Tablet when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Ceftriaxone Tablet?
- 20 Storage Requirements for Ceftriaxone Tablet
What is Ceftriaxone?
Ceftriaxone belongs to “cephalosporin” group of antibiotics which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections.
Uses of Ceftriaxone
Ceftriaxone is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infectious diarrhea
- Typhoid (Enteric fever)
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
- Respiratory tract infections
- Infections of ear, throat, tonsils etc
- Bone and joint infections
- Intra-abdominal infections
Ceftriaxone may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Cmoxicillin Uses | Cetrizine Uses
How does Ceftriaxone work?
- Ceftriaxone belongs to cephalosporins group of antibiotics which are considered to be bactericidal (bacterial killing ability).
- Cephalosporins disrupt the bacterial cell wall which is important for the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane thus killing the bacteria and checking its growth.
Ceftriaxone Price in India
|250 mg||Rs 96|
|500 mg||Rs 24|
Also Read: Monocef Price
How to Take Ceftriaxone?
- In order to reduce antibiotic resistance and increase the effectiveness of Ceftriaxone, it is advisable that all antibacterial therapies including Ceftriaxone should be selected based on culture and susceptibility information (a particular antibiotic should only be used to treat or prevent infections that are strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria),
- Available in the form white to yellowish crystalline powder which is readily soluble in water.
- Ceftriaxone is injected into the patient by a healthcare professional.
Common Dosage for Ceftriaxone Tablet?
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
Also Read: Doxycycline Dosage | Ibuprofen Dosage | Momate Dosage
When to Avoid Ceftriaxone Tablet?
Ceftriaxone is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc. Overuse or unnecessary usage may cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of antibiotic
Ceftriaxone Tablet should not be used in:
- Patients allergic to Ceftriaxone
- If you are allergic to drugs belonging to cephalosporin family like cefaclor, cefepime, cefuroxime etc
- History of penicillin allergy
- In neonates
Side-effects of Ceftriaxone Tablet?
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. More commonly observed side effects of Ceftriaxone Tablet may include:
- Severe stomach pain
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Watery and severe diarrhoea
- Signs of kidney disease (decreased urinary output)
- Yellowing of eyes/skin
- Dark colour urine
- Altered blood cell count
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Ceftriaxone Tablet is used to treat bacterial infections an allergic reaction to Ceftriaxone might occur. Possible allergic reactions reported include itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing and loss of consciousness.
What Are The Effects of Ceftriaxone Tablet on Organs?
Dosage adjustments should not be necessary for patients with liver dysfunction; however, in patients with both hepatic dysfunction and significant kidney disease, caution should be exercised and the Ceftriaxone dosage should not exceed 2 gm daily.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use.
- You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- Some of the common drugs which interact with Ceftriaxone include:
- Calcium-containing intravenous solutions
Shows Effects / Results In
The time taken for Ceftriaxone Tablet to show its effect depends upon its intended use.
Is Ceftriaxone Tablet Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Ceftriaxone Tablet with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol on Ceftriaxone Tablet is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Ceftriaxone Tablet When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. The medicine should be used with great caution during pregnancy as it may have adverse effects on the foetus
Can I have Ceftriaxone Tablet when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child. Ceftriaxone is excreted in human milk so always consult your paediatrician before consuming Ceftriaxone while lactating.
Can I drive after taking Ceftriaxone Tablet?
Ceftriaxone Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect, in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
Storage Requirements for Ceftriaxone Tablet
- Store at 20 to 25C (68 to 77F).
- Protect from light