Table of Contents
- What is Ceftum 500?
- Uses of Ceftum 500
- How does Ceftum 500 work?
- How to take Ceftum 500?
- Ceftum 500 Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Ceftum 500?
- Precautions While Taking Ceftum 500:
- Side-Effects of Ceftum 500:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Ceftum 500 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Ceftum 500
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ceftum 500
- Authored By –
1What is Ceftum 500?
Ceftum 500 is mainly used to prevent or treat bacterial infections like sinusitis, bronchitis, urinary tract infection and pharyngitis. Abdominal pain and fatigue are the common and major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of gastrointestinal diseases like colitis.
Ceftum 500 Composition: Cefuroxime Axetil 500mg
Manufactured By: Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Price: Rs 379.25 for 4 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Ceftum 500
Ceftum 500 serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- UTI: Used to treat Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Ear infections: Used to treat Otitis Media (middle ear infection)
- Skin infections: Used for skin infections
- Lyme disease: Used to treat Lyme disease
- Genital Infections: Used to treat gynaecological infections (caused by Neisseria gonnorrhoeae).
- Others: Used to treat bacterial infections like Tonsillitis, Pharyngitis, Sinusitis and Bronchitis
3How does Ceftum 500 work?
- Ceftum 500 contains Cefuroxime as its active ingredient.
- Cefuroxime is a second generation cephalosporin and works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacterial cells.
- Inhibition of cell wall makes the bacterial cells susceptible to the antibiotic and eventually leads to their destruction.
Read more about other medicine uses: Cefoperazone Sulbactam | Cefpodoxime Proxetil
4How to take Ceftum 500?
- Ceftum 500 is present in the form of tablets.
- Ceftum 500 tablet is taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after food as it prevents any potential undesirable effects of drug on the stomach when taken empty stomach.
- Ceftum 500 tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Ceftum 500 tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Ceftum 500 Common Dosage
- Ceftum 500 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and, Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Ceftum 500 tablet is a single tablet twice daily in cases of pneumonia and a single 250mg tablet twice a day in cases of bronchitis, sinusitis etc.
- Administration of Ceftum 500 is not advised in infants and children below 12 years of age.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ceftum 500?
Overdose of Ceftum 500 can cause serious undesirable effects. In cases of overdose, immediately consult the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ceftum 500?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ceftum 500?
Expired Ceftum 500 might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Ceftum 500?
The effect of Ceftum 500 can be seen within first few days of starting the therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Ceftum 500 stays?
Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
Suggested Read: Cefuroxime Axetil Dosage | Cetzine Dosage | Cheston Cold Dosage
6When to Avoid Ceftum 500?
Do not Consume Ceftum 500 if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Cefuroxime, cephalosporin, penicillin or any other antibiotics.
- GI Diseases: In cases of patients with gastrointestinal diseases particularly colitis.
- Glucose level test: In cases of urine test for glucose levels as it can give false positive results.
- Anemia: In cases of cephalosporin associated haemolytic anaemia.
7Precautions While Taking Ceftum 500:
- Proper administration: Ceftum 500 should be taken with or after food in patients with gastric irritation.
- Allergy: Ceftum 500 should be used with extra caution in patients with hypersensitivity or allergic history with antibiotics of same generation or different generation.
Warnings When Taking Ceftum 500
- Always inform the doctor if there has been a history of or present liver or kidney diseases.
- Ceftum 500 can lead to decreased efficacy of oral contraceptives.
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
8Side-Effects of Ceftum 500:
The side effects associated with Ceftum 500 are:
- Nausea (common)
- Diarrhoea ( less common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Fatigue (common)
- Breathlessness ( less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Itching (common)
- Haemolytic anaemia ( less common)
- Headache ( less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Abdominal pain ( less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ceftum 500?
- In case of any allergic signs like Breathing difficulty, Swelling, Rashes.
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Ceftum 500 on organs?
Ceftum 500 should used with caution in patients with liver impairment as Ceftum 500 can affect the liver and can cause jaundice, increased liver enzymes and darkened urine.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Ceftum 500. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Ceftum 500. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ceftum 500
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ceftum 500
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Aminoglycosides and Diuretics (can cause renal toxicity) (severe)
- Alcohol (it may cause liver damage) (severe)
- Probenecid (causes increased Cefuroxime levels) (moderate)
3. Effects of Ceftum 500 on Lab Tests
Ceftum 500 can affect blood glucose levels in urine test.
4. Ceftum 500’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Colitis or allergy
Q. Can I have Ceftum 500 with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Ceftum 500 may cause liver damage. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Ceftum 500.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
Q. Can I have Ceftum 500 when pregnant?
No, as very few studies have been conducted of Ceftum 500 in pregnant women. Therefore, inform the doctor before taking Ceftum 500 in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Ceftum 500 when feeding a baby?
No, Ceftum 500 should be avoided while feeding a baby as there are chances that it might excrete in human milk.
Therefore, the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Ceftum 500?
Ceftum 500 has no affect on the ability to drive but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Suggested Read: Candid B Cream Side Effect | Caripill Side Effects | Cefixime Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Ceftum 500 Composition, Variant and Price
|Ceftum 500 Variants||Ceftum 500 Composition||Ceftum 500 Price (Rs.)|
|Ceftum 125mg Tablet||Cefuroxime 125mg||Rs. 100.25 for 4 tablets|
|Ceftum 250mg Tablet||Cefuroxime 250mg||Rs. 210.2 for 4 tablets|
Buy & Get Upto 30% Off: Use Medlife Coupons | Pharmeasy Coupons | Pinhealth Coupons
11Substitutes of Ceftum 500
The following are alternative drugs for Ceftum 500:
- Cetil 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Lupin Ltd
- Price – Rs. 856.51
- C Furo 250mgTablet:
- Manufactured by Genix Pharma
- Price – Rs. 137.5
- Joxcy 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Dr Johns Labs
- Price – Rs. 485.5
- Forcef 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Price – Rs. 467.35
Storage requirements for Ceftum 500
- Store the Ceftum 500 tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Ceftum 500
Q. What is Ceftum 500?
Ans. Ceftum 500 is a synthetically derived antibiotic which belongs to second generation cephalosporin class of drugs. Ceftum 500 contains Cefuroxime as its main active ingredient. It is predominantly used for infections known to be caused by bacteria like ear and skin infections.
Q. What are the uses of Ceftum 500?
Ans. It is predominantly used for infections known to be caused by bacteria like ear and skin infections.
Q. What are the side effects of Ceftum 500?
Ans. The most common side effects of Ceftum 500 are Nausea, Diarrhoea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Breathlessness, Rashes
Q. How effective is Ceftum 500?
Ans. The effect of Ceftum 500 can be seen within first few days of starting the therapy.
Q. Should Ceftum 500 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Ceftum 500 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any gastric irritation.
Q. Does Ceftum 500 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Ceftum 500 may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ceftum 500 doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Ceftum 500 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ceftum 500.
Q. Does Ceftum 500 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Ceftum 500 safe for children?
Ans. Ceftum 500 should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ceftum 500?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Ceftum 500.
Q. Is Ceftum 500 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.