What is Cefuroxime Axetil?
Cefuroxime Axetil is an antibiotic. Cefuroxime Axetil belongs to the class of cephalosporin antibiotics which interferes with the synthesis of bacterial cell wall synthesis, causing complete termination of bacterial growth.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Cefuroxime Axetil in Hindi
Buy & Get Upto 30% Off: Use Medlife Offers | Pharmeasy Offers
Uses of Cefuroxime Axetil
Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) is generally used in a wide variety of infections caused by bacteria, including ear infections, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, bronchitis, skin infections, urinary tract infections, and gynaecological infections to name a few.
Also Read: Candid B Cream Uses | Caripill Uses | Cefixime Uses
Cefuroxime Axetil Price in India
|Specifics||Cefuroxime Axetil Price|
|Strip of 10*10 Tablets||Rs 360|
How to Take Cefuroxime Axetil?
Cefuroxime Axetil usually comes in the form of tablets and suspensions (which has to taken by mouth, and injectable forms. Every possible formulation might not be listed here. Tablets are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, usually twice daily after food. For best results, Cefuroxime Axetil must be taken at evenly spaced times.
Shake the suspension liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
The injectable forms are injected by a trained healthcare professional.
The usage of Cefuroxime Axetil must be continued until the prescribed dosage is finished, even if your symptoms disappear.
It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Dosage for Cefuroxime Axetil
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
A typical adult dosage for pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, bronchitis, skin structure infections is 250 mg twice daily and for more severe infections, e.g., Pneumonia – 500 mg twice daily.
Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) tablets are not recommended for infants and children less than 12 years of age.
Cefuroxime Axetil Suspensions – The dose depends on the weight of the child. Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you exactly how many teaspoonful or 5 mL measures of the liquid suspension your child must take.
Read more about other medicine dosage: Cefoperazone Sulbactam | Ceftum 500
Precautions – When to Avoid Cefuroxime Axetil?
- Cefuroxime Axetil doesn’t work in case of viral infections (such as flu, common cold)). Unnecessary use of antibiotic must be avoided because it decreases its efficacy.
- Cefuroxime Axetil should be avoided in patients with previous allergic reactions to cefuroxime, cephalosporin, penicillin, or other drugs.
- Aspartame present in Cefuroxime Axetil suspension is a source of phenylalanine and therefore it should not be used in patients suffering from phenylketonuria.
- Cefuroxime Axetil should not be used in patients with a history of cephalosporin-associated hemolytic anaemia.
- The use of Cefuroxime Axetil should be avoided in patients suffering from gastrointestinal disease, particularly colitis.
- Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) should be avoided if you are having a urine test for sugar. False positive reactions may occur.
- Cefuroxime Axetil should be avoided if you are diabetic. CEFTIN Suspension contains sugar (about 3 g/5 mL).
- Cefuroxime Axetil should be avoided if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Cefuroxime Axetil should be avoided if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. Cefuroxime is excreted in human breast milk.
Side-Effects of Cefuroxime Axetil
Side-effects to include
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loose stools. Reports of abdominal pain have occurred.
- Clostridium Difficile-Associated Disease (CDAD) has been reported with use of many antibacterial agents including Cefuroxime Axetil.
- Transient increases of liver enzyme levels [ALT, AST, LDH].
- Headache and dizziness
- Allergic reactions – Rashes, itching, or shortness of breath may occur.
- As with other cephalosporins, there have been rare reports of drug fever.
Decreased hemoglobin, and very rarely a faster breakdown of red blood cells leading to a form of anemia (hemolytic anemia) with symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath and looking pale can occur.
Additionally, drowsiness, infections in vagina and transient increases in serum bilirubin, creatinine, alkaline phosphatase, and urea nitrogen van occur as side-effects with injectable forms of Cefuroxime Axetil.
Effects of Cefuroxime Axetil on Organs?
- Effects on liver have been reported. Symptoms of liver damage include –
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin)
- Pain in the stomach
- Severe tiredness
- Dark urine
- Increased levels of liver enzymes
- In patients suffering from kidney diseases, the dosage of Cefuroxime Axetil should be decreased.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported are rashes, difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling, hoarseness, and itching.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use.
- The concomitant administration of aminoglycosides (type of antibiotics) and some cephalosporins has caused toxicity in kidneys.
- Concomitant use of Cefuroxime Axetil and diuretics (medications designed to increase the amount of water and salt expelled from the body as urine) such as furosemide and ethacrynic acid may increase the risk of kidney toxicity.
- Probenecid can lead to increased blood levels of Cefuroxime Axetil.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
Effects/Results After Consuming Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil)
You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Cefuroxime Axetil.
A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Side Effects of Other medicines: Cefpodoxime Proxetil | Cetzine | Cheston Cold
FAQ – Things to Know About Cefuroxime Axetil
Is Cefuroxime Axetil addictive?
Can I have Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) with alcohol?
Alcohol can cause liver damage temporarily and that might increase the side effects of Cefuroxime Axetil. Also, the chances of having side effects increases when consumed with alcohol because of dehydrating nature of alcohol on your body.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) when pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
There are very few published research papers on the use of Cefuroxime Axetil in human pregnancy. Cefuroxime Axetil should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
Cefuroxime Axetil can affect the gut flora, causing decreased efficacy of oral contraceptives.
Can I have Cefuroxime Axetil when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
There is evidence that Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) might be excreted in human breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Cefuroxime Axetil?
Cefuroxime Axetil may cause dizziness, patients should be warned to be cautious when driving or operating machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Cefuroxime Axetil?
If you have taken an overdose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil)?
The antibiotic may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cefuroxime Axetil?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.
Pro Tips When Taking Cefuroxime Axetil
- Always inform your doctor if you ever had jaundice or any other liver problems while taking Ceftin (Cefuroxime Axetil) or if there is a history of liver/kidney disease
- In common with other antibiotics, Cefuroxime Axetil may affect the gut flora, leading to reduced efficacy of combined oral contraceptives.