What is Cetirizine?
Cetirizine belongs to a group of drugs called “antihistamines” and is primarily used in the prevention and treatment of allergic disorders. Cetirizine is available in two forms:
- 10mg Tablet
- Suspension form (1mg/ml oral solution)
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy
Uses of Cetirizine
Cetirizine is most commonly used for the treatment of:
- seasonal allergy,
- hay fever,
- itching caused by hives,
- running nose etc.
How does Cetirizine work?
- Cetirizine is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of a chemical messenger (histamine) involved in allergic reactions in your body.
- This brings about relieve in symptoms of allergy such as sneezing, running nose, watery eyes etc.
Cetirizine Price in India
|10 mg strip of Tablets||Rs 20.33|
Also Read: Ibuprofen Price
How to Take Cetirizine?
- The dosage and duration of Cetirizine advised is based on your age, physical health, severity of condition and initial response to therapy.
- Cetirizine is extensively absorbed after oral administration and food has no effect on its absorption thus it can be taken with or without food or as advised.
- For patients with gastric problems, it is better to take it after food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time, preferably bed time as it can cause sedation.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If you are using the suspension form, measure the dose with the help of a measuring cup. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- Cetirizine should not be stopped without doctor’s advice or before the stipulated course of the therapy is completed.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Common Dosage for Cetirizine?
- Dosage is usually determined by your physician based on your condition.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose as it may increase the incidence of sedation at higher doses.
- The recommended therapeutic dosage for Cetirizine in adults is 5mg (one tablet/ 10ml oral solution) once daily in evening/night time.
- For patients above 65years of age and children, 2.5 mg (half tablet/5ml oral solution) once daily dose of Cetirizine is recommended.
- In patients suffering from kidney diseases, Cetirizine should be administered with caution and with altered dose as advised.
- In case if your condition persists or worsens after taking Cetirizine, discontinue the drug and inform your doctor.
Also Read: Cmoxicillin Dosage | Ceftriaxone Dosage | Doxycycline Dosage
When to Avoid Cetirizine?
Cetirizine should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Patients undergoing haemodialysis
Side-effects of Cetirizine?
In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects of Cetirizine include:
- Dry mouth
- Feeling sick
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling of weakness
Rare side effects of Cetirizine:
- Faster heart beat
- Abnormal liver function
- Blurred vision
- Reduction in blood platelets
In addition, it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Momate Side Effect
Effect on organs?
- Cetirizine may affect central nervous system and can produce a variety of effects including dizziness, sleepiness and fatigue.
- Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and renal (kidney disease) involvement should use Cetirizine with caution and under supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Cetirizine can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful. It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Cetirizine. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
Using these medicines along with Cetirizine can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Cetirizine is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In
- Cetirizine starts showing its effects within few hours after its administration and the effect lasts up to almost 24 hours.
- However even if symptoms disappear, therapy with Cetirizine should always be continued until advised.
Is Cetirizine addictive?
Cetirizine is not addictive; however self medication and dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Cetirizine with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Cetirizine therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Cetirizine when pregnant?
- Cetirizine should only be taken in pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the potential risks as there are no evident and well controlled studies in pregnant females.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Cetirizine when feeding a baby?
- Cetirizine is excreted in human breast milk, therefore, it is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding.
- Consult your doctor for case specific recommendations if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Cetirizine?
- Cetirizine intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Cetirizine?
- Overdosage has been reported with Cetirizine.
- Symptoms of over dosage include: drowsiness in adults and initial restlessness followed by drowsiness inn children.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Cetirizine?
- A single dose of expired Cetirizine may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cetirizine?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.
Storage Requirements for Cetirizine
- Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Cetirizine
It is best to take Cetirizine in evening or at night to prevent sleepiness throughout the day which is a common side effect.