Cetirizine Composition – Cetirizine 10 MG
Manufactured By – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription not Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 20
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Cetrizine?
- Cetrizine belongs to a group of drugs called as “antihistamines” and is primarily used in the prevention and treatment of allergic disorders.
- Cetrizine is most commonly used for the treatment of seasonal allergy, hay fever, itching caused by hives, sneezing, running nose etc.
- Cetrizine is available in two forms:
- 10mg Tablet
- Suspension form (1mg/ml oral solution)
Manufactured By – Knoll Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|New Cetrizine-Cold Suspension||Chlorpheniramine Maleate (2mg) + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (125mg) + Phenylephrine (2.5mg)|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy
How does Cetrizine work?
- Cetrizine is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of chemical messenger (histamine) involved in allergic reactions in your body.
- This brings about relieve in symptoms of allergy such as sneezing, running nose, watery eyes etc.
Cetrizine Price in India
|10 mg strip of Tablets||Rs 20.33|
How to Take Cetrizine?
- The dosage and duration of Cetrizine advised is based on your age, physical health, severity of condition and initial response to therapy.
- Cetrizine is extensively absorbed after oral administration and food has no effect on its absorption thus it can be taken with or without food or as advised. For patients with gastric problems, it is better to take it after food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time preferably bed time as it can cause sedation.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If you are using the suspension form, measure the dose with the help of a measuring cup. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- The medicine should not be stopped on your own without doctor’s advice or before the stipulated course of the therapy is completed.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Common Dosage for Cetrizine?
- Dosage is usually determined by your physician based on your condition. Do not take more than the recommended dose as it may increase the incidence of sedation at higher doses.
- The recommended therapeutic dosage for Cetrizine in adults is 5mg (one tablet/ 10ml oral solution) once daily in evening/night time.
- For patients above 65years of age and children, 2.5 mg (half tablet/5ml oral solution) once daily dose of Cetrizine is recommended.
- In patients suffering from kidney diseases, Cetrizine should be administered with caution and with altered dose as advised.
- In case if your condition persists or worsens after taking Cetrizine, discontinue the drug and inform your doctor.
When to Avoid Cetrizine?
- Cetrizine should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Patients undergoing haemodialysis
Side-effects of Cetrizine?
In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Feeling sick
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling of weakness
- Rare side effects of Cetrizine:
- Faster heart beat
- Abnormal liver function
- Blurred vision
- Reduction in blood platelets
In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs?
- Cetrizine may affect central nervous system and can produce a variety of effects including dizziness, sleepiness and fatigue.
- Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and renal (kidney disease) involvement should use Cetrizine with caution and under supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs of allergic reaction include:
Rashes/itching of skin
Shortness of breath
Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Cetrizine can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful. It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Cetrizine. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
Using these medicines along with Cetrizine can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Cetrizine is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Cetrizine starts showing its effects within few hours after its administration and the effect lasts up to almost 24 hours.
- However even if symptoms disappear, therapy with Cetrizine should always be continued until advised.
Is Cetrizine addictive?
Cetrizine is not addictive; however self medication and dependence to these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Cetrizine with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Cetrizine therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Cetrizine when pregnant?
- Cetrizine should only be taken in pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the potential risks as there are no evident and well controlled studies in pregnant females.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Cetrizine when feeding a baby?
- Cetrizine is excreted in human breast milk therefore it is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding.
- Consult your doctor for case specific recommendations if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Cetrizine?
- Cetrizine intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Cetrizine?
- Over dosage has been reported with Cetrizine.
- Symptoms of over dosage include: drowsiness in adults and initial restlessness followed by drowsiness inn children.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Cetrizine?
- A single dose of expired Cetrizine may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cetrizine?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.
Storage of Cetrizine:
Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
Do not freeze the medicine.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Cetrizine:
It is best to take Cetrizine in evening or at night to prevent sleepiness throughout the day which is a common side effect.