Table of Contents
- What is Cetzine?
- Uses of Cetzine
- How does Cetzine work?
- How to take Cetzine?
- Cetzine Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Cetzine?
- Precautions While Taking Cetzine:
- Side-Effects of Cetzine:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Cetzine Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Cetzine
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Cetzine
- Authored By –
1What is Cetzine?
It is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions Common cold, skin allergies and watery eyes etc. Somnolence (altered sleep pattern) is the major side effect seen with Cetzine. It should be totally avoided in cases of renal impairment and allergic reactions
Cetzine Composition: Cetrizine 10 mg
Manufactured By: Dr Reddys Laboratories Ltd
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but is also available as OTC
Form: Tablet and syrup.
Price: Rs. 17.30 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiallergic
2Uses of Cetzine
Cetzine serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Common cold: Used in cases of Common cold
- Running nose: Used to manage running nose
- Watery eyes: Used to treat Watery eyes
- Seasonal allergy: Used to treat and manage seasonal allergy
- Hay fever: Used to treat Hay fever
- Others: Used to treat sneezing, skin allergy and Itching caused by Hives
Also Read: Cefoperazone Sulbactam Uses | Cefpodoxime Proxetil Uses | Ceftum 500 Uses
3How does Cetzine work?
- Cetzine contains Cetrizine as its active ingredient.
- Cetrizine is an antihistamine/antiallergic and works by blocking the chemical messenger known as histamine, which are responsible for the allergic reactions like itching, sneezing etc.
- Cetzine helps in treating the allergic symptoms by blocking the histamines.
4How to take Cetzine?
- Cetzine is present in the form of tablets and in the form of syrup (Cetzine syrup).
- Cetzine tablet can be taken by mouth with a glass of water with or without food as food has no effect on its absorption.
- Cetzine tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- In you are consuming Cetzine suspension, bottle should be shaken up well before consumption and a measuring cup should be used.
- Cetzine tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Cetzine Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Cetzine tablet is a single 10mg tablet once or a 5mg tablet twice a day as stated by the physician.
- Dose for children of 6-12 years of age is 2.5mg once daily.
- Common Paediatric dose of Cetzine for children of 6months to 5 years is 1.25mg once a day.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
- Paediatrician should be consulted when administering paediatric dose.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Cetzine?
Overdose of Cetzine can cause serious undesirable effects and can lead to complications in some cases. Gastric lavage is performed in cases of overdose, by the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Cetzine?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Cetzine?
Expired Cetzine might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Cetzine?
The effect of Cetzine depends on the condition being treated and the duration of action may last up to 24 hours.
Q. Till when does the effect of Cetzine stays?
Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
6When to Avoid Cetzine?
Do not Consume Cetzine if:
- Elderly: In cases of elderly patients above the age of 65 years.
- Renal impairment: In cases of patients with kidney (renal) impairment dose alteration may be required.
- Dialysis: In cases of patient undergoing hemodialysis
- Liver disease: In cases of patient with liver diseases or impairment.
- Allergy: In cases of patient allergic to the drug or its component or other drugs like hydroxyzine, meclozine, cyclizine.
7Precautions While Taking Cetzine:
- Kidney impairment: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney impairments.
- Caution: Cetzine should be used with extra caution in elderly patients
Warnings When Taking Cetzine
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to take the drug at night as it can cause sleepiness.
- The drug must be used with caution in patients with liver and renal impairment
Read more about other medicine dosage: Candid B Cream | Caripill | Cefixime
8Side-Effects of Cetzine:
The side effects associated with Cetzine are:
- Somnolence (altered sleep pattern or drowsiness) (common)
- Fatigue (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Nasopharyngitis (less common)
- Fever (less common)
- Cough (common)
- Epistaxis (bleeding from nose) (less common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Cetzine?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips (less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Cetzine on organs?
- Cetzine should used with caution in patients with liver and kidney impairment.
- Cetzine affects Central nervous system and can cause drowsiness, sleepiness.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Cetzine. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Cetzine. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Cetzine
No particular food item is to be avoided
2. Medicines Interactions with Cetzine
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Sleeping pills (moderate)
- Narcotic analgesics (moderate)
- Muscle relaxants (mild)
- Anti depressants (moderate)
- Anti anxiety drugs (mild)
3. Effects of Cetzine on Lab Tests
Cetzine should not be consumed before taking any skin allergy tests.
4. Cetzine’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Q. Can I have Cetzine with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Cetzine may cause drowsiness/sleepiness. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Cetzine.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
Q. Can I have Cetzine when pregnant?
Cetzine during pregnancy should be taken only if necessary and advised by the doctor. The doctor should always be informed if you are pregnant or planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Cetzine when feeding a baby?
No, lactating mothers should not consume Cetzine because it is excreted in human milk.
Therefore, the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Cetzine?
Cetzine affects the Central nervous system and can cause drowsiness or sleepiness. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs after taking Cetzine
Side Effects of Other medicines: Cefuroxime Axetil | Cheston Cold
10Buyer’s Guide – Cetzine Composition, Variant and Price
|Cetzine 60ml Syrup||Cetrizine 5mg /5ml||Rs. 37.70 for 1 pack.|
|Cetzine A Tablet||Cetrizine 5mg + Ambroxol 60mg||Rs. 44.70 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Upto 35% Discount: Saveonmedical | Practo
11Substitutes of Cetzine
The following are alternative drugs for Cetzine:
- CTZ 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Psychotropics India Ltd
- Price – Rs 16.35
- Avil NU 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Sanofi India Ltd
- Price – Rs. 17.36
- Cope 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Price – Rs. 17.31
- Cetirite Tablet:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price – Rs. 15.3
Storage requirements for Cetzine
- Store the Cetzine tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Cetzine
Q. What is Cetzine?
Ans. Cetzine is a single component drug that contains Cetrizine as its main active ingredient. Cetzine belongs to the class of antihistamines or antiallergic drugs. It is being used in cases of allergic reactions like runny nose, skin allergies etc.
Q. What are the uses of Cetzine?
Ans. It is being used in cases of allergic reactions like runny nose, skin allergies etc.
Q. What are the side effects of Cetzine?
Ans. The most common side effects of Cetzine are Somnolence (altered sleep pattern or drowsiness), Fatigue, Dry mouth, Nasopharyngitis, Fever, Cough, Epistaxis (bleeding from nose), Diarrhoea
Q. How long does it take for Cetzine to show results?
Ans. The effect of Cetzine depends on the condition being treated and the duration of action may last up to 24 hours.
Q. Should Cetzine be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Cetzine should not be taken empty stomach to prevent stomach upset.
Q. Does Cetzine make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Cetzine does cause drowsiness/sleepiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Cetzine doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Cetzine should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Cetzine.
Q. Does Cetzine effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Cetzine safe for children?
Ans. Cetzine is not to be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken. Variant of same drug is available for paediatric population.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Cetzine?
Ans. Any kidney disease or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Cetzine.
Q. Is Cetzine legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –