Table of Contents
- What is Champix?
- Uses of Champix
- How does Champix work?
- Champix Price in India
- How to take Champix?
- Common dosage of Champix
- When to avoid Champix & Precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Champix
- Effect on organs?
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Shows effects
- Storage Requirements for Champix
- Pro Tips when taking Champix
- Is Champix addictive?
- Can I have Champix with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Champix when pregnant?
- Can I have Champix when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Champix?
- What happens if I overdose on Champix?
- What happens if I eat expired Champix?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Champix?
- Similar Reads
Champix Composition – Varenicline (NA)
Manufactured By – Pfizer Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 1516
Quantity – 25 kit in 1 packet
What is Champix?
- Champix is a medication used to treat nicotine addiction.
- This drug reduces both craving for and decreases the pleasurable effects of cigarettes and other tobacco products.
Get Exciting Discounts upto 30%: Practo Coupon Codes | Netmeds Promo Codes
Uses of Champix
Champix is prescribed for:
Checkout: Benoquin Uses | Chlorhexidine Uses
How does Champix work?
- Champix competitively inhibits the ability of nicotine to bind to and activate the alpha-4 beta-2 receptor.
- This exerts mild agonistic activity at this site, though at a level much lower than nicotine and is presumed that this activation eases withdrawal symptoms.
Champix Price in India
|Specifics||Champix Price in India|
|Champix 1mg Tablet||Rs.1700|
How to take Champix?
Champix is administered orally in the form of tablet.
Read About: Captopril Composition
Common dosage of Champix
- The usual dose of Champix is 0.5 mg once a day for three days, then 0.5 mg twice a day for four days.
- After first 7 days, the dose is 1 mg twice per day which is called as maintenance dose.
When to avoid Champix & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Champix if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- This recommended is not for children under 18 year’s old or pregnant women.
- This medicine may sometimes lead to thoughts of suicide and occasional suicidal behavior, erratic behavior, and drowsiness among people.
- It may be associated with a small, increased risk of certain cardiovascular adverse events in people who have cardiovascular disease.
- It is recommended that people reduce the amount of alcohol they drink while receiving this medicine.
Also Read: Chlorhexidine Precaution | Champix Precaution
Side Effects of Champix
- Mild nausea
- Difficulty sleeping
- Change in taste
- Abdominal pain
Also Know: Buscopan Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Nausea, abdominal pain, flatulence, dyspepsia, vomiting, constipation, GI reflux disease, dry mouth, abdominal pain, diarrhea, abdominal distension, toothache, flatulence.
- Psychiatric reactions- Abnormal dreams, insomnia, sleep disorder, nightmare.
- Nervous system reactions- Headache, somnolence, dizziness, dyspepsia.
- Respiratory reactions- Nasopharyngitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, dyspnea, cough.
- Dermatologic reactions- Rash, pruritus.
- Metabolic reactions- Weight increased, decreased appetite, increased appetite, and anorexia.
- Cardiovascular reactions- Chest pain.
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Arthralgia, myalgia, back pain.
- Hepatic reactions- Liver function test abnormal.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Shortness of breath
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Antismoking drugs (Zyban, Aplenzin, Catapres)
Champix is a high-affinity partial agonist for nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtype that leads to the release of dopamine and therefore, has the capacity to reduce the feelings of craving and withdrawal caused by smoking cessation.
Storage Requirements for Champix
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Champix
- Champix is taken after food along with a glass of water.
- Consuming alcohol while receiving this medicine may cause mood disorders. Thus, avoid consuming it.
- Do not drive or perform any activity that may require mental alertness because of drowsiness caused by this drug.
Is Champix addictive?
Can I have Champix with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No; not until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Champix when pregnant?
Can I have Champix when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Champix?
What happens if I overdose on Champix?
Overdose of Champix may be fatal. Contact your doctor if experiencing any unusual symptoms.
What happens if I eat expired Champix?
Expired Champix may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Champix?
If you miss a dose of Champix, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.