Table of Contents
- What is Chloramphenicol?
- Uses of Chloramphenicol
- How Does Chloramphenicol Work?
- How to Take Chloramphenicol?
- Chloramphenicol Price In India
- Common Dosage for Chloramphenicol?
- When to Avoid Chloramphenicol?
- Side-Effects of Chloramphenicol
- Effects of Chloramphenicol on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Chloramphenicol
- Is Chloramphenicol addictive?
- Can I have Chloramphenicol with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Chloramphenicol when pregnant?
- Can I have Chloramphenicol when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Chloramphenicol?
- What happens if I overdose on Chloramphenicol?
- What happens if I eat expired Chloramphenicol?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Chloramphenicol?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Chloramphenicol
What is Chloramphenicol?
Chloramphenicol is an antibacterial medication used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Chloramphenicol is generally used for serious bacterial infections in which other antibacterials cannot be used.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Medicines | Medlife Medicines
Uses of Chloramphenicol
- Serious bacterial infections
- Infections of the eyes and ears
- Bacterial meningitis
Also Read: Artesunate Uses | Ampicillin Uses | Amphotericin B Uses
How Does Chloramphenicol Work?
Bacteria produce some proteins to carry out their vital functions. Chloramphenicol suppresses the synthesis of these proteins by bacteria thereby disturbing their survival and spreading. Chloramphenicol doesn’t directly kill the bacteria but stops it growth and hence prevents further spreading of infection.
How to Take Chloramphenicol?
Take Chloramphenicol as a whole with a glass of water. Remember not to crush, chew or break this medicine while consuming it. If you are prescribed with injectable form then you consult your doctor or nurse for your dose administration. Chloramphenicol must be consumed on an empty stomach.
Chloramphenicol Price In India
|500 mg Strip of 10 Capsules||Rs 682.50|
Common Dosage for Chloramphenicol?
Chloramphenicol is most commonly prescribed once or twice daily. Your dosage and frequency may vary depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Azathioprine Dosage | Calciumgluconate Dosage | Cefotaxime Dosage
When to Avoid Chloramphenicol?
Avoid Chloramphenicol if:
- You are allergic to chroramphenicol
- You have minor infections
- You have genetic blood disorder (Porphyria)
- You have bone marrow suppression
Side-Effects of Chloramphenicol
- Red blood cells shortage
- Intestinal or colon inflammation
- Gray syndrome in newborns
- Inflammation of the optic nerve
- Weakness and numbness
- Mental confusion
- Eye irritation
Effects of Chloramphenicol on Organs?
Chloramphenicol is not suitable for patients with kidney or liver impairment. It may cause damage to these organs and your doctor may adjust your dose.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the allergic reactions associated with Chloramphenicol capsule are rashes and itching of skin, swelling of any part of face, tongue or throat, and shortness of breath.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- BCG vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine
- Cholera vaccine
Effects/Results After Consuming Chloramphenicol
The effects of Chloramphenicol can be seen within 1 to 2 hours of oral administration.
Things to Know About Chloramphenicol
Is Chloramphenicol addictive?
No, Chloramphenicol capsule is not addictive in nature.
Can I have Chloramphenicol with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Chloramphenicol. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
It is advised to avoid food rich in Iron and B12 content. Your doctor may advise you regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Chloramphenicol when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Chloramphenicol if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Chloramphenicol when feeding a baby?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Chloramphenicol if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I drive after taking Chloramphenicol?
It is generally safe to drive while on Chloramphenicol. However, if you feel any side effects that may decrease your alertness then it is not wise to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Chloramphenicol?
Taking more medication than prescribed is not going to heal you faster. In fact overdose will result in severe side effects.
What happens if I eat expired Chloramphenicol?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Chloramphenicol, the chances of harm are very less. Always check the label for expiry date before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Chloramphenicol?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not try to compensate for the missed dose by taking a double dose.
- Store the oral formulation between 25 to 30 degree Celsius
- Store the injectable in a refrigerator but do not freeze it
- Protect this drug from direct sunlight and moisture
- Avoid storing oral formulations in bathroom or moisture-prone areas.
Pro Tips When Taking Chloramphenicol
- Complete the full course of Chloramphenicol even if your symptoms have disappeared.
- For best results always consume Chloramphenicol either an hour before or 2 hours after having a meal.
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Chloramphenicol if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Your doctor must know your medical history and allergies if any, before prescribing Chloramphenicol.
Also read about other medicine's: Ceftazidime | Supradyn