What is Chlorpromazine?
- Chlorpromazine is an antipsychotic medication.
- This drug is primarily used to treat psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and other uses include bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, nausea and vomiting, anxiety before surgery, and hiccups that do not improve following other measures.
Buy Smart & Save Money: Myra Medicines Promo Code | 1mg promo Code
Uses of Chlorpromazine
Chlorpromazine is prescribed for:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Preoperative sedation
- Intractable Hiccups
Read About: Cimetidine Uses
How does Chlorpromazine work?
- Chlorpromazine is a phenothiazine and antipsychotic agent with anti-emetic activity.
- This drug exerts its antipsychotic effect by blocking postsynaptic dopamine receptors in cortical and limbic areas of the brain, thereby preventing the excess of dopamine in the brain.
- This results to a reduction in psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations and delusions.
- Chlorpromazine drug appears to exert its anti-emetic activity by blocking the dopamine receptors in the chemical trigger zone in the brain, thereby relieving nausea and vomiting.
Read About: Conversyl Tablet | Czam Tablet
Chlorpromazine Price in India
|Specifics||Chlorpromazine Price in India|
|Chlorpromazine 25mg/ml Injection||Rs. 2.14|
|Chlorpromazine 10mg Tablet||Rs. 4.04|
|Chlorpromazine 25mg Tablet||Rs. 6.27|
|Chlorpromazine 50mg Tablet||Rs. 8.99|
|Chlorpromazine 100mg Tablet||Rs. 12.24|
How to take Chlorpromazine?
- Chlorpromazine is administered orally in the form of a tablet, capsule and liquid, with or without food.
- This also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the large muscle.
Also Read: Fesovit Composition
Common dosage of Chlorpromazine
- Dose is usually based on patient’s condition.
- The recommended dose range is 100 to 800mg per day.
When to avoid Chlorpromazine & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Chlorpromazine if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Chlorpromazine medicine should be started at low doses and increased gradually.
- This drug is not recommended in patients with central nervous system depression disorders.
- Chlorpromazine drug should be discontinued immediately if the patient develops neuroleptic malignant syndrome characterized by an increase in the body temperature, muscle rigidity, altered consciousness.
- This drug may cause involuntary movements of tongue, lips, and face.
- Increase in the blood glucose levels in the body is possible when receiving this drug.
- Chlorpromazine reduce the blood cell count, especially WBC (neutrophils).
- The safety of Chlorpromazine is not established in the children less than 6 months of age.
- Abrupt withdrawal of this drug may cause withdrawal symptoms like nausea, headache, diarrhea, dizziness, and irritability.
- This drug is not recommended in patients with dementia-related psychosis as it increases the risk of heart diseases like heart failure and infectious diseases like pneumonia.
Also Know: Contractubex Precaution | Cyproheptadine Precaution
Side Effects of Chlorpromazine
- Uncontrolled body movements
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Skin rash
- Difficulty in breathing
- Muscle stiffness
Know About: Cordarone Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Central nervous system reactions- Agitation, insomnia, depression and convulsions.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Dry mouth and constipation.
- Genitourinary reactions- Absence of menstrual cycle, breast enlargement in males and urinary retention.
- Other reactions- Allergic skin reactions, increased sugar, weight gain and dilatation of pupil.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, throat, hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Antidiabetic medicines
The effect of this medicine can be observed in 30 to 60 minutes and lasts for an average duration of 4 to 6 hours.
Storage Requirements for Chlorpromazine
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store it at temperature between 15-30°C.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Chlorpromazine
- This drug causes dizziness and lightheadedness which can increase the risk of falling.
- Get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position to avoid falling.
Is Chlorpromazine addictive?
Can I have Chlorpromazine with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Chlorpromazine when pregnant?
Can I have Chlorpromazine when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Chlorpromazine?
What happens if I overdose on Chlorpromazine?
Overdose of Chlorpromazine may cause dry mouth, bloating or stomach cramps, feeling restless or agitated, fever, muscle stiffness, jerky muscle movements, changes in heart rate, or seizure (convulsions).
What happens if I eat expired Chlorpromazine?
Expired Chlorpromazine may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Chlorpromazine?
If you miss a dose of Chlorpromazine, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.