What is Chlorthalidone?
Chlorthalidone is a water pill usually given to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention in the body.
What is Chlorthalidone used for?
Chlorthalidone is used in the treatment of:
- High blood pressure
- Fluid retention in the body
- Heart failure
- Kidney stone
- Diabetes insipidus (Type 1 diabetes)
- Electrolyte disturbances
How Does Chlorthalidone Work?
Chlorthalidone belongs to a diuretic class of medications which acts by removing excess water and electrolytes in the body through urine. Chlorthalidone also dilates the blood vessels thereby decreasing pressure on them resulting in lower blood pressure.
How to Take Chlorthalidone?
Chlorthalidone tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You may consume Chlorthalidone on an empty or full stomach.
Common Dosage for Chlorthalidone?
Chlorthalidone is generally prescribed once daily or once in two days. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Chlorthalidone?
Avoid Chlorthalidone if:
- You are allergic to any component of Chlorthalidone
- you have urinating difficulty
- you are suffering from gout
- you have liver disease
- you have low potassium levels
- you have asthma
- you are allergic to sulfa drugs
Side-Effects of Chlorthalidone
Some of the reported side effects of Chlorthalidone are:
- Increased uric acid in the blood
- Decreased potassium level in the blood
- Glucose intolerance
- Altered blood lipids
- Muscle weakness
- Stomach upset
- Muscle pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dry mouth
Effects of Chlorthalidone on Organs?
Long-term use of Chlorthalidone is not safe for patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Chlorthalidone are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Chlorthalidone:
- Lithium-containing drugs
- Insulin or diabetes medicines
- Blood pressure lowering drugs
Effects/Results After Consuming Chlorthalidone
The effect of Chlorthalidone can be observed within 2 to 3 hours of administration. The average duration of action of this drug is between 24 to 72 hours.
Is Chlorthalidone addictive?
Chlorthalidone does not cause addiction.
Can I have Chlorthalidone with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Chlorthalidone. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Chlorthalidone causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must avoid high salt or low potassium diet while on Chlorthalidone. You must consult your doctor regarding other foods to be avoided.
Can I have Chlorthalidone when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Chlorthalidone if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Chlorthalidone when feeding a baby?
Chlorthalidone is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Chlorthalidone?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Chlorthalidone. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Chlorthalidone?
An overdose of Chlorthalidone will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Chlorthalidone?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Chlorthalidone, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Chlorthalidone?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for the next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Chlorthalidone
- Always store Chlorthalidone at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Chlorthalidone away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Chlorthalidone
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Chlorthalidone if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- It is better to consume this medication in the morning to avoid nighttime urination.
- Your doctor must know medical history before prescribing Chlorthalidone.