Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ciplox 500?
- 2 Uses of Ciplox 500
- 3 How to Take Ciplox 500?
- 4 Ciplox 500 Price In India
- 5 Common Dosage for Ciplox 500
- 6 Precautions – When to Avoid Ciplox 500 MG Tablet?
- 7 Side-effects of Ciplox 500 MG Tablet
- 8 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 9 What Are The Effects of Ciplox 500 on Organs?
- 10 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 11 Shows Effects / Results In
- 12 Storage Requirements for Ciplox 500
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Ciplox 500 MG Tablet
- 14 FAQs
- 15 Is Ciplox 500 MG Tablet Addictive?
- 16 Can I have Ciplox 500 with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Ciplox 500 When Pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Ciplox 500 MG Tablet when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Ciplox 500?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Ciplox 500 MG Tablet?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Ciplox 500?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Ciplox 500 MG Tablet?
Ciplox Composition – Ciprofloxacin (500mg)
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 38.34
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Ciplox 500?
Ciplox 500 belongs to “Quinolone” group of antibiotics which are considered to have bactericidal (bacterial killing) property. It kills the bacteria by inhibiting the synthesis of DNA (genetic material) and thus preventing its further multiplication.
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Ciplox 500 in Hindi
Other variants and compositions
|Ciplox TZ Tablet||Ciprofloxacin (500mg) + Tinidazole (600mg)|
|Ciplox 500 Tablet||Ciprofloxacin (500mg)|
|Ciplox D Eye/Ear Drops||Ciprofloxacin (0.3%w/v) + Dexamethasone (0.1%w/v)|
|Ciplox Eye/Ear Drops||Ciprofloxacin (0.3% w/v)|
|Ciplox OZ 500mg/500mg Tablet||Ciprofloxacin (500mg) + Ornidazole (500mg)|
|Ciplox 250 Tablet||Ciprofloxacin (250mg)|
|Ciplox TZ H Tablet||Ciprofloxacin (250mg) + Tinidazole (300mg)|
|Ciplox 750 Tablet||Ciprofloxacin (750mg)|
|Ciplox Eye Ointment||Ciprofloxacin (0.3% w/w)|
Uses of Ciplox 500
It is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections. Active ingredient of Ciplox 500 tablet is Ciprofloxacin.
Ciplox 500 is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc. Overuse or unnecessary usage of Ciplox 500 tablet may cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of the antibiotic.
Ciplox 500 is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Infectious diarrhea
- Typhoid (Enteric fever)
- Inhalational anthrax
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis
- Urinary tract infections
- Infections of skin and soft tissue
- Acute sinusitis
- Bone and joint infections
- Intra-abdominal infections
Ciplox 500 may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: CYPON Syrup Uses | Dapoxetine Uses
How to Take Ciplox 500?
In order to reduce antibiotic resistance and increase the effectiveness of Ciplox 500, it is advisable that all antibacterial therapies including Ciplox 500 should be selected based on culture and susceptibility information (a particular antibiotic should only be used to treat or prevent infections that are strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria).
Ciplox 500 tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be directly swallowed with water in one go without crushing. They can be taken with or without food. However, administration of Ciplox 500 tablet with food has shown a decreased incidence of gastric side effects. Remember to take plenty of fluids while you are taking Ciplox 500mg course.
For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain a certain amount of drug in the body all the time. Dosage regimen should be adjusted according to individual patient needs, type of infection or as advised by the doctor.
When on Ciplox 500 therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug and
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to this drug thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Ciplox 500 Price In India
|500 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 38.34|
|Ciplox 500 OZ:500mg/500mg Strip of 100 Tablets||Rs 79.5|
Also Read: Cyra-D Price
Common Dosage for Ciplox 500
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- Ciplox 500 is usually taken either with food or immediately after food. Dosage depends upon the condition of the patient. The most usually recommended dose of Ciplox 500 in adults is 500-750 mg 12 hourly.
- The recommended dose in children is 10-20mg/kg/day depending upon the severity of the infection. This may be administered as one single daily dose or may be given in two divided doses every 12 hours.
- In patients suffering from kidney problems or on dialysis, the dosage of Ciplox 500 may need to be reduced.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent. In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Also Read: Cefixime 200 Dosage | Calpol Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Ciplox 500 MG Tablet?
Ciplox 500 should not be used with:
- If you are allergic to Ciplox 500
- If you are allergic to other drugs belonging to quinolone family like Levofloxacin, Ofloxacin, Gatifloxacin etc
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Epileptic patients (patients experiencing seizures)
- Patients having a history of tendon problem (pain or swelling of the tendon)
- Patients having myasthenia gravis (abnormal weakness of muscles)
- Patients with a heart problem or long QT interval (heart’s electrical cycle)
- Patients taking tizanidine (type of muscle relaxant)
Side-effects of Ciplox 500 MG Tablet
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. More commonly observed side effects of Ciplox 500 may include:
- Altered taste sensation
- Skin rash
In very few cases, patients might complain of some serious side effects like:
- Signs of tendonitis, tendon rupture: pain, swelling, stiffness around joints
- Exacerbation of myasthenia gravis (abnormal weakness of muscles)
- Prolongation of QT interval (heart’s electrical cycle)
- Phototoxicity (susceptibility of skin to light)
- Central nervous system effects like nervousness, depression, confusion
- Nerve symptoms: numbness, burning sensation, tingling
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Also Read: Cyclopam Syrup Side Effect
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Ciplox 500 MG Tablet is used to treat bacterial infections, still an allergic reaction to Ciplox 500 might occur. Possible allergic reactions reported include:
- itchy skin,
- swelling especially on face, lips & throat,
- difficulty in breathing or swallowing and
- loss of consciousness.
What Are The Effects of Ciplox 500 on Organs?
- Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Ciplox 500 should be administered with caution.
- Tendonitis and tendon rupture
- Effect on the central nervous system as explained above.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use. You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval. Some of the common drugs which interact with Ciplox 500 MG Tablet include:
- Vitamin or mineral supplement containing zinc, cacium or magnesium
Using all these medicines along with Ciplox 500 can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed. Consult your doctor before administering any of the above mentioned drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In
The time taken for Ciplox 500 MG Tablet to show its effect depends upon the dose and course of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
Some patients might show the decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Storage Requirements for Ciplox 500
- Ciplox 500 tablets should be stored away from direct heat and light and at a temperature below 40 degrees.
- Keep it away from children and pet.
Pro Tips When Taking Ciplox 500 MG Tablet
- Even if you begin to feel better in a few days of treatment with Ciplox 500, it is advisable that you complete the entire course of treatment.
- If the medicine is stopped in between, the symptoms might return or may get worsened. Also, chances of bacterial resistance to the drug may increase.
Is Ciplox 500 MG Tablet Addictive?
No such tendancy has been reported.
Can I have Ciplox 500 with alcohol?
The effect of alcohol with Ciplox 500 MG Tablet is not clear. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Calcium rich foods, including dairy products (such as milk, yogurt) or calcium-enriched juice, can affect the absorption of this medication.
- Take this medication at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after eating magnesium/ aluminium antacids.
- Patients receiving Ciplox 500 MG Tablet should remain adequately hydrated to prevent the formation of highly concentrated urine.
Can I have Ciplox 500 When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. The medicine should be used with great caution during pregnancy as it may have adverse effects on the foetus
Can I have Ciplox 500 MG Tablet when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child. Ciplox 500 is excreted in human milk so always consult your paediatrician before consuming Ciplox 500 while lactating.
Can I drive after taking Ciplox 500?
Ciplox 500 Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect, in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Ciplox 500 MG Tablet?
It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Ciplox 500?
It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Ciplox 500 MG Tablet to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ciplox 500 MG Tablet?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if its already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.