Table of Contents
- What is Clarithromycin?
- Uses of Clarithromycin
- How Does Clarithromycin Work?
- How to Take Clarithromycin?
- Clarithromycin Price In India
- Common Dosage for Clarithromycin?
- When to Avoid Clarithromycin?
- Side-Effects of Clarithromycin
- Effects of Clarithromycin on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Clarithromycin
- Is Clarithromycin addictive?
- Can I have Clarithromycin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Clarithromycin when pregnant?
- Can I have Clarithromycin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Clarithromycin?
- What happens if I overdose on Clarithromycin?
- What happens if I eat expired Clarithromycin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Clarithromycin?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Clarithromycin
What is Clarithromycin?
Clarithromycin tablet is an antibacterial medicine. It is used for prevention and treatment of many types of bacterial infections.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Discount Code | Medlife Discount Code
Uses of Clarithromycin
Clarithromycin is used as an antibacterial in a variety of conditions like:
- Infections of tonsils
- Infections of sinus
- Infections of ear
- Infections of nose
- Infections of throat
- Infections of skin and soft tissues
- Infections of windpipe and lungs
- Stomach ulcers (along with other medications)
Also Read: Cyclosprine Uses | Danazol Uses | Dapsone Uses
How Does Clarithromycin Work?
Clarithromycin mainly acts by stopping the bacterial growth in your body. Bacteria produce certain proteins to carry out its vital functions and growth. Clarithromycin stops the protein synthesis mechanism in bacteria.
How to Take Clarithromycin?
Clarithromycin tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. Clarithromycin may be taken with or without food. Your doctor may advise you to take it with food or milk to reduce abdominal discomfort.
Clarithromycin Price In India
|500 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 190|
|125 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 72|
|250 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 110|
Also Read: Chlorpheniramine Maleate Price
Common Dosage for Clarithromycin?
Clarithromycin is available in 250mg and 500mg tablet dose. It is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition
Also Read: Cotrimoxazole Dosage | Cisplatin Dosage
When to Avoid Clarithromycin?
Avoid Clarithromycin if:
- You are allergic to clarithromycin, erythromycin or azithromycin etc.
- You have low levels of potassium or magnesium in the blood
- You have abnormal heart rhythm
- You have an irregular heartbeat
- You are suffering from coronary artery disease
Side-Effects of Clarithromycin
- Abdominal pain
- Altered taste
- Injection site pain
Effects of Clarithromycin on Organs?
Clarithromycin tablet is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Clarithromycin tablet are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Anti-migraine medications
Effects/Results After Consuming Clarithromycin
Clarithromycin starts its action within 1 hour of administration and it has an average duration of action of about 8 to 12 hours. Your infection will stop spreading and will resolve after taking Clarithromycin tablet.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT CLARITHROMYCIN
Is Clarithromycin addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported for Clarithromycin.
Can I have Clarithromycin with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Clarithromycin. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must avoid foods which are tyramine-rich like smoked fish and meats, cheese and some types of beer. Further, consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Clarithromycin when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Clarithromycin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Clarithromycin when feeding a baby?
Clarithromycin is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Clarithromycin?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Clarithromycin. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Clarithromycin?
Overdose of Clarithromycin will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Clarithromycin?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Clarithromycin tablet, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Clarithromycin?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Clarithromycin at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Clarithromycin away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Clarithromycin
- Always take Clarithromycin on a full stomach or with a glass of milk to avoid stomach upset.
- If your diarrhea doesn’t stop after discontinuing this medication or if you find blood in your stools, immediately consult your doctor.
- Maintain a minimum gap of 2 hours between consumption of antacids and Clarithromycin.
- You should immediately discontinue this medication if you have any symptom of Hepatitis like appetite loss, jaundice, dark urine and stomach tenderness.
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Clarithromycin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
Also read about other medicine: Cyclophosphamide