Table of Contents
- What is Clopidogrel
- Uses of Clopidogrel
- How does Clopidogrel work?
- Clopidogrel Price In India
- How to Take Clopidogrel?
- Common dosage for Clopidogrel?
- When to Avoid Clopidogrel?
- Side-effects of Clopidogrel?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Effect on organs
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Is Clopidogrel Addictive?
- Can I have Clopidogrel with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Clopidogrel When Pregnant?
- Can I have Clopidogrel when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Clopidogrel?
- What happens if I overdose on Clopidogrel?
- What happens if I eat expired Clopidogrel?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Clopidogrel?
- Storage Requirements for Clopidogrel
- Pro Tips When Taking Clopidogrel
What is Clopidogrel
- Clopidogrel belongs to group of drugs called as anti-platelet drugs which prevent formation of blood clots in blood vessels.
- Clopidogrel is available in tablet form for oral use in two doses: 75mg and 300mg.
- Clopidogrel is commonly used for prevention of heart attack and stroke in patients with pre-existing cardiac problems, blood circulation disease.
Manufactured By – Sinsan Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Medicines | Pharmeasy Medicines
Uses of Clopidogrel
- It can also be used in combination therapy with other drugs like aspirin to prevent clot formation especially after certain procedures like placement of stents.
Also Read: Carbamazepine Uses | Cephalexin Uses
How does Clopidogrel work?
- Clopidogrel works by inhibiting the platelet aggregation by reducing the stickiness of platelets.
- Clopidogrel is thus taken to reduce the chances of formation of clot and ensure smooth blood flow in patients suffering from myocardial diseases and stoke.
Clopidogrel Price In India
|75 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 39.05|
Also Read: Clotrimazole Price | Atorvastatin Price
How to Take Clopidogrel?
- Take Clopidogrel tablet as advised by your doctor. Do not take more than the recommended dose as it may have adverse effects.
- Clopidogrel tablets are usually well absorbed orally and can be taken with or without food.
- Swallow it as a whole without crushing or chewing it.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- It is always advised to tell your doctor in case if you have a planned surgery or dental extraction in the near future as the drug might need to be stopped or the dose altered.
- When on Clopidogrel therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug and
- It might increase the likelihood of cardiovascular events (heart diseases)
Common dosage for Clopidogrel?
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
Health status/medical condition of the patient
Severity of the condition
Reaction to the first dose
History of allergy/drug reactions
- The most usually recommended dose of Clopidogrel in patients with recent stoke or myocardial infarction is 75mg tablet once daily without a loading dose.
- In cases of acute coronary syndrome, single 300mg tablet of Clopidogrel initially as loading dose followed by 75mg once daily as maintenance dose.
- It is not recommended for paediatric use.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
When to Avoid Clopidogrel?
Clopidogrel should not be used in:
Patients allergic to Clopidogre
Patients with gastric ulcer or GI bleeding
Patients with Active pathological bleeding like intracranial haemorrhage
Patients with bleeding disorders(haemophilia, purpura)
Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis
Patients suffering from liver diseases
Patients undergoing surgery or dental extractions
Patients taking other anticoagulants like warfarin
Side-effects of Clopidogrel?
- Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients.
- More commonly observed side effects may include:
- Increased bleeding tendency
- Skin rash/ itching
- Abdominal pain
- Nose bleeds
- Few patients might experience severe bleeding in form of:
- Blood in urine
- Black stool
- Coughing up blood
- Unexplained bleeding or bruises
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Also read about other medicine Side Effect: Amikacin Side Effect
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Although Clopidogrel is used to prevent blood clots but an allergic reaction to Clopidogrel might occur.
- Symptoms of possible allergic reactions include: itchy skin, rashes, swelling especially on face, lips & throat, difficulty in breathing or swallowing and loss of consciousness.
Effect on organs
- Dose adjustment might be needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Clopidogrel should be administered with caution.
- Patients with bleeding disorders, gastric ulcer, GI bleed, intracranial haemorrhage and other active pathological bleeding should avoid taking Clopidogrel.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- It is always better to inform your physician of all the drugs, vitamin supplements used along with Clopidogrel.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Some of the common drugs which interact with Clopidogrel include:
- Omeprazole, pantoprezole
- Using all these medicines along with Clopidogrel can influence the potency of these medicines and also can increase the risk of adverse effects.
- It is advisable not to modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time taken for Clopidogrel to show its effect depends upon dose of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Effects of the drug can be seen within 2 hours of oral administration and may last up to 12 hours. Do not stop the drug on your own without doctor’s consent.
Is Clopidogrel Addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Clopidogrel with alcohol?
- Interaction of Clopidogrel when administered with alcohol is unknown. Consult your doctor before consumption of alcohol when on Clopidogrel.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No such interaction with any food product observed.
Can I have Clopidogrel When Pregnant?
- The medicine should be used with great caution during pregnancy and only when and as advised by your doctor.
- The benefits and risks of administering clopidogrel should be discussed prior to administration of Clopidogrel tablets.
Can I have Clopidogrel when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- It is unknown whether Clopidogrel is excreted in breast milk or not. Thus it should only be taken if and as advised by your doctor.
Can I drive after taking Clopidogrel?
- Clopidogrel Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive.
- However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect, in such cases it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Clopidogrel?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects like prolonged bleeding time and subsequent bleeding complications.
- In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Clopidogrel?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Clopidogrel to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Clopidogrel?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.
Storage Requirements for Clopidogrel
- Clopidogrel tablets should be stored away from direct heat and light and at temperature below 40 degrees.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pet.
Pro Tips When Taking Clopidogrel
- Clopidogrel should not be stopped suddenly without doctor’s advice as it may increase the risk of heart disease.
- Even if the drug is stopped for treatments like dental treatment or surgery, it should be re-initiated as soon as possible.
- While on Clopidogrel, it is advisable to monitor the patient for signs of Purpura (reduced platelet count)
Other medicine to read: Acyclovir