Table of Contents
- 1 What is Cosentyx?
- 2 What does Cosentyx contain?
- 3 Uses of Cosentyx
- 4 How Does Cosentyx Work?
- 5 How to Take Cosentyx?
- 6 Cosentyx Price In India
- 7 Common Dosage for Cosentyx?
- 8 When to Avoid Cosentyx?
- 9 Side-Effects of Cosentyx
- 10 Effects of Cosentyx (Secukinumab) on Organs?
- 11 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 12 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 13 Effects/Results After Consuming Cosentyx
- 14 FAQs
- 15 Is Cosentyx addictive?
- 16 Can I have Cosentyx with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Cosentyx (Secukinumab) when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Cosentyx when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Cosentyx (Secukinumab)?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Cosentyx?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Cosentyx?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Cosentyx?
- 24 Storage Requirements for Cosentyx
- 25 Pro Tips When Taking Cosentyx (Secukinumab)
What is Cosentyx?
Cosentyx is an immunosuppressant drug which suppresses your immune system for treatment of certain disease.
Manufactured By – Novartis
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Med Life | Coupons For 1Mg
What does Cosentyx contain?
Cosentyx contains secukinumab as the active ingredient.
Uses of Cosentyx
Cosentyx (Secukinumab) is used in the treatment of:
- Plaque psoriasis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
Other medicine's to read: Humulin Uses
How Does Cosentyx Work?
In certain disease conditions, your body produces an excess amount of a protein (interleukin-17A). Cosentyx acts by recognizing this protein and blocking its action thereby controlling the symptoms associated with these diseases.
How to Take Cosentyx?
- Fill the syringe with the prescribed quantity of Cosentyx (Secukinumab) and inject it under the skin of arms, thighs, hips, or lower stomach.
- You must regularly change the site of injection.
- You can administer Cosentyx on an empty or full stomach.
Cosentyx Price In India
|150 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 400.00|
Common Dosage for Cosentyx?
Cosentyx is generally prescribed once daily for 4 weeks. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Cosentyx?
Avoid Cosentyx (Secukinumab) if:
- You are allergic to any component of Cosentyx
- You have tuberculosis infection
- You have an infection that keeps coming back
- You have recently received or about to receive vaccination
- You are about to undergo a surgery
- You have latex allergy
Side-Effects of Cosentyx
Some of the reported side effects of Cosentyx (Secukinumab) are:
- Fever and chills
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Abdominal pain
- White patches in the mouth
- Eye infections
- Athlete’s foot
Also Read: Leflunomide Side Effect | Xeljanz Side Effect
Effects of Cosentyx (Secukinumab) on Organs?
Long-term use of Cosentyx is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Cosentyx are:
- difficulty breathing, and
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions with Cosentyx:
Effects/Results After Consuming Cosentyx
The full effect of Cosentyx (Secukinumab) can be observed within 1 week of administration. Your disease symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Cosentyx addictive?
Cosentyx (Secukinumab) is not addictive in nature
Can I have Cosentyx with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Cosentyx (Secukinumab). Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Cosentyx causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Cosentyx (Secukinumab) when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Cosentyx if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Cosentyx when feeding a baby?
This drug is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take Cosentyx while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Cosentyx (Secukinumab)?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Cosentyx. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Cosentyx?
An overdose of Cosentyx will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Cosentyx?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Cosentyx (Secukinumab), the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cosentyx?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Cosentyx
- Always store Cosentyx (Secukinumab) at a temperature between 2 to 8 degree Celsius
- Do not freeze this medication
- Keep Cosentyx away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Cosentyx (Secukinumab)
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Cosentyx if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- This medication increases your risk of getting an infection so take proper precautions in your day to day life and when around other people with the infection.
- Your doctor must know your complete medical history before prescribing Cosentyx.
Other medicine's to read: Xifaxan | Zinc Sulphate | Zyprexa