Skip to Content
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Cyclopam?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Cyclopam?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Cyclopam?
- Q. Onset time of Cyclopam and till when does the effect of Cyclopam stay?
- Warnings When Taking Cyclopam
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Cyclopam?
- 1. Food Interactions with Cyclopam
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Cyclopam
- 3. Effects of Cyclopam on Lab Tests
- 4. Cyclopam’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Cyclopam with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Cyclopam when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Cyclopam when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Cyclopam?
- Storage requirements for Cyclopam Tablets
- Q. What is Cyclopam?
- Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Cyclopam to show results?
- Q. Should Cyclopam be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Cyclopam make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Cyclopam doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Cyclopam effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Cyclopam safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Cyclopam?
- Q. Is Cyclopam legal in India?
What is Cyclopam?
Used predominantly to prevent or treat abdominal pain and fever. Dehydration and dry mouth are the major side effects at repetitive high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of obstructive gastrointestinal diseases.
Cyclopam Composition – Paracetamol + Dicyclomine
Manufactured by – Indoco Remedies Ltd.
Prescription – To be sold by prescription as it belongs to schedule ‘H’ but it is also available as OTC
Form – Tablets and Syrups
Price – Rs 45 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life – 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug – Antispasmodic and Antipyretic.
Uses of Cyclopam
Cyclopam is used in the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Pain: Used as a pain reliever in different types of pain like Stomach ache, joint pain, toothache, ear pain, and headache.
- Menstrual Cramps: Used as an effective pain reliever during menstruation (periods).
- Intestinal Cramps: Used as a pain reliever in cases of intestinal cramps.
- Fever: Used to treat fever as it contains Paracetamol, which is antipyretic in nature.
- Cold: Used to treat symptoms of cold as Cyclopam exhibits anticholinergic action and blocks the secretions and control the symptoms.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Used to treat conditions like Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
How does Cyclopam work?
- Cyclopam is basically a composition of Paracetamol and Dicyclomine.
- Paracetamol is analgesic and antipyretic in nature. Paracetamol blocks the COX enzymes and eventually blocks the Prostaglandins secretion, responsible for pain and fever and other inflammatory signs.
- Paracetamol blocks the prostaglandins and in turn lowers the body temperature and also relieves pain.
- Dicyclomine is anticholinergic in nature and shows antispasmodic action. It relaxes the smooth muscles of intestine and stomach and helps to relieve the abdominal cramps and pain.
- Dicyclomine also works for symptoms of flu as it blocks the secretions of the body.
What are the effects of Cyclopam on organs?
- Cyclopam should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disorders.
- Dose alteration/adjustment may be required in such cases.
How to take Cyclopam?
- Cyclopam is usually available in tablets and syrup form.
- Cyclopam tablets are usually consumed orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or after food preferably with food in cases of stomach upset.
- The tablets should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- It is advisable to take Cyclopam at a fixed time with an appropriate time interval between two doses.
- If taking Cyclopam syrup, the bottle should be shaken up well before use to have a homogenous mixture and a measuring cup should be used to consume the prescribed dose.
- It is advisable for the patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of how to handle the drug.
Common Dosage for Cyclopam
- Cyclopam dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient and Condition being treated.
- The common dose of Cyclopam is a single tablet 4 times a day with a maximum dose of not more than 80mg in a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
- It is advisable to consult with a paediatrician before administering Cyclopam in children as a precautionary measure.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Cyclopam?
Cyclopam dosage should be strictly consumed as per the prescription by the doctor.
An overdose of Cyclopam can cause symptoms like dry skin, severe thirst, and dizziness. In such cases, immediate medical help should be taken to avoid undesirable effects.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Cyclopam?
Cyclopam should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of the missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Cyclopam?
Expired Cyclopam may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Cyclopam and till when does the effect of Cyclopam stay?
- Cyclopam can reach its peak effect within 30 minutes to 1 hour of oral administration of the drug.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
When to Avoid Cyclopam?
Do not Consume Cyclopam if:
- Liver disorders: In known cases of Liver dysfunction or diseases, Cyclopam should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Kidney Diseases: In known cases of Kidney disease, Cyclopam should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Cyclopam or any of its ingredients.
- Heart diseases: In known history of patients with heart failure and stroke.
- Obstruction: In known cases of obstructive gastrointestinal diseases.
- Others: In cases like ulcerative colitis, reflux esophagitis, Glaucoma, and Myasthenia gravis.
Precautions While Taking Cyclopam
- Alcohol: Do not consume Cyclopam with alcohol as it can affect the liver.
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, it occurs after taking Cyclopam should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two doses to avoid toxicity, at least 4-6 hours between two doses.
Warnings When Taking Cyclopam
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to increased risk of side effects.
- Cyclopam should not be administered in patients with autonomic neuropathy and hiatal hernia.
Side-Effects of Cyclopam
The side effects associated with Cyclopam are:
- Nausea – Common
- A headache – Less common
- Dizziness – Less common
- Acute toxicity – rare
- Dryness – Common
- Lethargy – Common
- Heat stroke – Less common
- Tachycardia – Less common
- Drowsiness – Common
- Confusion – Rare
- Coma – Rare
- Sleeplessness – Less Common
- Psychosis – Rare
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Cyclopam?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Cyclopam are:
- Rashes – less common
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue – less common
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Cyclopam. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Cyclopam. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Cyclopam
No particular food item to be avoided apart from alcohol as it may cause liver damage
2. Medicines Interactions with Cyclopam
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Narcotic painkillers ex. Meperidine
- Antiarrhythmic agents ex. Quinidine
- Antipsychotic drugs
3. Effects of Cyclopam on Lab Tests
Cyclopam doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Cyclopam’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver, kidney or heart diseases and obstructive gastrointestinal diseases.
Q. Can I have Cyclopam with alcohol?
No, Cyclopam can interact with alcohol to produce undesirable effects and can even cause liver damage in severe cases. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Cyclopam.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided while taking cyclopam.
Q. Can I have Cyclopam when pregnant?
No, Cyclopam should be used during pregnancy only when absolutely necessary and the benefits outweigh the risk. Always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Cyclopam when feeding a baby?
No, Cyclopam is not recommended in lactating mothers and always notify the doctor in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Cyclopam?
One should avoid taking Cyclopam while driving if it causes drowsiness or dizziness and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
Also Read: Darolac Side Effect | Dapoxetine Side Effect | CYPON Syrup Side Effect
Cyclopam Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Cyclopam Variants||Cyclopam Composition||Cyclopam Price|
|Cyclopam Plus tablet||Dicyclomine 20mg + Mefenamic Acid 250mg + Paracetamol 500mg||Rs. 79.85 for 15 tablets|
|Cyclopam 10ml Injection||Dicyclomine 10mg/ml||Rs. 20.47 for 1 pack|
|Cyclopam MF tablet||Mefenamic Acid 250mg + Dicyclomine 10mg||Rs. 44.15 for 10 tablets|
|Cyclopam 60ml Suspension||Dicyclomine 10mg + Simethicone 40mg/5ml.||Rs. 78.65 for one pack|
|Cyclopam 10ml drops||Dicyclomine 10mg + Simethicone 40mg/ml.||Rs. 37 for 1 pack.|
Substitutes of Cyclopam
The following are alternative drugs for Cyclopam:
- Colimex tablet:
- Manufactured by – Wallace.
- Price – Rs. 20.55
- Colinol Tablet:
- Manufactured by- Vivimed labs ltd.
- Price – Rs. 33
- Colipen Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Penta Pharma
- Price – Rs. 80
- Spasmid tablet:
- Manufactured by – Pavlova Lab
- Price – Rs. 36
Storage requirements for Cyclopam Tablets
- Cyclopam Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at a temperature below 25O C.
- The drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Cyclopam
Q. What is Cyclopam?
Ans. Cyclopam is a multipurpose drug that contains Paracetamol and Dicyclomine as its active ingredient and is used to treat spasmodic pain and fever.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Cyclopam to show results?
Ans. Cyclopam shows its effect within 30minutes to 1 hour of administration of the drug.
Q. Should Cyclopam be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Cyclopam should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Cyclopam make you drowsy?
Ans. Cyclopam might cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Cyclopam doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of at least 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Cyclopam toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Cyclopam should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Cyclopam.
Q. Does Cyclopam effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Cyclopam safe for children?
Ans. Cyclopam should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Cyclopam?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Cyclopam.
Q. Is Cyclopam legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.