What is Cyclosporine?
Cyclosporine is an immunosuppressant medication which lowers down your immune power.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo
Uses of Cyclosporine
- To prevent organ rejection after a transplant
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Bone marrow transplant
- Atopic dermatitis
- Nephrotic syndrome
Also Read: Danazol Uses | Dapsone Uses
How Does Cyclosporine Work?
Cyclosporine works by suppressing the increase of white blood cells thereby lowering the power of your immune system. It lowers the defense system of your body so that there is no rejection of transplanted organs.
How to Take Cyclosporine?
Cyclosporine tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. If you are prescribed with injection form then your doctor or nurse should give you the injection directly into your blood vessels. Remember to take Cyclosporine only on a full stomach.
Cyclosporine Price In India
|25 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 108.00|
|50 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 216.00|
|100 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 490.00|
Also Read: Clarithromycin Price
Common Dosage for Cyclosporine?
Cyclosporine is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Other medicine's Dosage: Chlorthalidone Dosage | Cisplatin Dosage
When to Avoid Cyclosporine?
Avoid Cyclosporine if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have a kidney disorder
- You have liver impairment
- You have high blood pressure
- You have recently undergone radiotherapy
Side-Effects of Cyclosporine
- Increased blood pressure
- Appetite loss
- Increased hair growth
- Kidney damage
Effects of Cyclosporine on Organs?
Long term use of Cyclosporine is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Cyclosporine are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Potassium level increasing drugs
- Drugs affecting kidneys
- Birth control pills
Effects/Results After Consuming Cyclosporine
The effect of Cyclosporine can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your disease symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Cyclosporine
Is Cyclosporine addictive?
Cyclosporine is not addictive in nature
Can I have Cyclosporine with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Cyclosporine. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Cyclosporine causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Cyclosporine when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Cyclosporine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Cyclosporine when feeding a baby?
Cyclosporine is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Cyclosporine?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Cyclosporine. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Cyclosporine?
Overdose of Cyclosporine will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Cyclosporine?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Cyclosporine, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Cyclosporine?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Cyclosporine at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the injectable form of cyclosporine in refrigerator
- Keep Cyclosporine away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Cyclosporine
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Cyclosporine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Avoid any type of vaccination while on Cyclosporine.
- Avoid contact with people with bacterial or viral infections as you are more prone to get one while on this medication.
- Cyclosporine makes you more vulnerable to infections so take precautions.
Also Read: Cotrimoxazole | Cyclophosphamide | Chlorpheniramine Maleate