What is Daflon?
Used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like piles (haemmoroids) and varicose veins. Indigestion and abdominal pain are the major side effects of Daflon when consumed in more than recommended dose. Daflon should never be used in cases of bleeding disorders and kidney impairment.
Daflon Composition: Diosmin 450 Mg + Other flavonoids like hesperidin 50 Mg
Manufactured By: Serdia Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd
Price: Rs 114 for 10 tablets
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: anti haemorrhoidal drug
Uses of Daflon
Daflon is used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like:
- Varicose Veins: Used in cases of large swollen veins of extremities i.e. leg or arms (Varicose veins).
- Venous Stasis: Used to treat cases of blockage of blood flow through veins (Venous stasis).
- Lymphedema: Used to treat localized fluid retention leading to swelling (Lymphedema).
- Haemorrhoids: Used most commonly in cases of Haemorrhoids (Piles).
- Stasis Dermatitis: Used to treat cases of skin changes as a result of circulatory changes or fluid buildup.
- Leg Ulcers: Used to treat Leg ulcers caused by poor circulation.
Also Read: Crocin Uses | Biluma Cream Uses
How does Daflon work?
- Daflon reduces venous stasis by prolonging the vasoconstrictor effect of nor-epinephrine which is a chemical mediator and increases the venous tone and improves the flow of blood.
- Furthermore, it increases the lymphatic drainage by increasing the lymphatic flow by decreasing the diameter of lymphatic vessels and intra lymphatic pressure.
What are the effects of Daflon on organs?
- Helps to cure the cases of varicose veins by increasing the blood flow
- No harmful effect as such is seen on any organ.
How to take Daflon?
- Daflon is available in film-coated tablets
- Daflon tablets are usually taken via mouth with or without food.
- The tablets should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- The drug should be taken with an equally spaced time interval between two doses at fixed timings so that a particular amount of drug is always present in the body.
- It is not advisable to use Daflon as an Over the counter drug.
- The therapy with Daflon should not be prolonged for more than 3 months due to the risk of adverse events or dependency unless advised by the doctor.
Common Dosage for Daflon
- The dosage of the drug can be decided by the doctor as per the Weight, Age, Mental status of the patient, Severity of the condition being treated
- The Most common dose recommended is one 500 mg tablet twice a day or one 1000mg tablet once a day after meals.
- In cases of Acute haemorrhoids, 6 tablets per day for 4 days are advised followed by 4 days tablets a day for 3 days.
- In case of persistence of symptoms, medical advice should be taken immediately.
On this page:
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Daflon?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Daflon?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Daflon?
- Q. Onset time of Daflon and till when does the effect of Daflon stay?
- Warnings When Taking Daflon
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Daflon?
- 1. Food Interactions with Daflon
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Daflon
- 3. Effects of Daflon on Lab Tests
- 4. Daflon’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Daflon with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Daflon when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Daflon when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Daflon?
- Storage requirements for Daflon
- Q. What is Daflon?
- Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Daflon to show results?
- Q. Should Daflon be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Daflon make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Daflon Tablets?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Daflon affect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Daflon safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms/diseases that I should consider before taking Daflon?
- Q. Is Daflon legal in India?
Q. What happens if I overdose on Daflon?
An overdose of any drug may increase the chances of serious side effects. Therefore, it is advisable to strictly adhere to the prescribed dose of the drug and immediately consult the medical team in case of any signs of drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Daflon?
One should consume the missed dose as soon as he/she remembers but try to avoid taking the missed dose if it’s time for the next dose as it may lead to a drug overdose.
Missing a dose is not recommended and one should strictly adhere to the dosing schedule.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Daflon?
A single dose of expired Daflon is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Daflon and till when does the effect of Daflon stay?
- The onset of effect or result of the drug depends on the severity and the dosage of the drug.
- Few patients show the decreased severity of symptoms after taking Daflon for at least one to three weeks
- Onset of action and relief in symptoms vary with every patient and condition being treated.
Other medicine's dosages: Crocin Advance | Cremaffin | Combiflam
When to Avoid Daflon?
Do not Consume Daflon:
- Allergy: In cases of allergic history or present condition of allergy to Daflon or any synthetically derived nutritional supplement.
- Bleeding disorders: In cases of bleeding disorders like Haemophilia, purpura, it should be avoided.
- Kidney Impairment: In cases of patients with kidney impairment.
Precautions While Taking Daflon
- Allergic reactions: In case of an allergic reaction, seek medical help immediately.
- Dose Alteration: Do not alter the dose as per your convenience without medical guidance
- Empty stomach: Daflon should be taken preferably with or after food to avoid any undesirable effects.
- Inform the doctor: Keep your doctor informed about any other concomitant medication
Warnings When Taking Daflon
- Dose alteration as per your convenience should be avoided.
- Always inform your doctor in case of any of these allergic reaction symptoms
Side-Effects of Daflon
The side effects associated with Daflon used for different treatments are:
- Nausea – Common
- Vomiting – Common
- Indigestion – Less common
- Diarrhoea – Less common
- Abdominal pain – Common
- Dizziness – Less common
- Headache – Less common
- Skin rash – Less common
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Daflon?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Daflon are:
- Red protuberances on skin – less common
- Swelling of eyes, face, lips, mouth or tongue – less common
- Rashes. – less common
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
A patient should be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Daflon. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Daflon. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Daflon
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Daflon
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician ut of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
There have been very few rare reports of drug interaction with Daflon but the doctor should always be informed about any concomitant medication.
Dose alteration as per your convenience should be avoided.
3. Effects of Daflon on Lab Tests
no particular lab tests are affected by Daflon but it is advisable to consult your treating doctor before going for any lab investigation
4. Daflon’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Dialysis, bleeding disorders.
Q. Can I have Daflon with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects when Daflon is taken with alcohol. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Daflon.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, but smoking or chewing tobacco should be avoided
Q. Can I have Daflon when pregnant?
It should only be given to pregnant ladies when absolutely necessary and the benefits outweigh the risks. Therefore, always notify the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Daflon when feeding a baby?
Daflon should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers as the effects of its constituents on quantity and quality of milk production is unknown.
Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Daflon?
Yes, as Daflon does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occurs after taking Daflon.
Other Medicine's Side Effects: Colicaid Drops | Cobadex Forte | Chymoral Forte
Buyer’s Guide – Daflon Composition, Variant and Price
|Daflon Variants||Daflon Composition||Daflon Price|
|Daflon 500 MG Tablet||Diosmin 500 MG||Rs. 125 for 10 tablets.|
|Daflon 1000 MG Tablet||Diosmin 900 MG||Rs. 200 for 10 tablets.|
Substitutes of Daflon
The following are alternative drugs for Daflon:
- Venex 500mg:
- Manufactured by – Elder Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 48.3
- Venusmin 450mg:
- Manufactured by – Walter Bushnell
- Venex 300 mg:
- Manufactured by – Elder Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 29.6
Storage requirements for Daflon
- The drug should be stored below 25°C and should be kept in a cool, dry place and away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Keep the drug in a place, where it is out of reach of children.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Daflon
Q. What is Daflon?
Ans. Daflon is basically a drug derived from plants. It belongs to a group of drugs called Flavonoids (a group of natural substances found in fruits, flowers and vegetables) and are thought to provide various health benefits. It basically consists of Diosmin, which is a plant chemical found in citrus fruits mainly. It is used to treat various blood vessels disorders like varicose veins, haemorrhoids, etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Daflon to show results?
Ans. The onset of effect or result of the drug depends on the severity and the dosage of the drug.
Few patients show the decreased severity of symptoms after taking Daflon for at least one to three weeks
Q. Should Daflon be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Yes, it can be taken one empty stomach however; it is preferable to consume Daflon with or just after having meals to avoid any stomach distress.
Q. Does Daflon make you drowsy?
Ans. Daflon may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Daflon Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Daflon toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Yes, it is necessary to complete the whole prescribed dose of Daflon even if the symptoms disappear.
One should never stop Daflon without consulting with the doctor.
Q. Does Daflon affect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Daflon safe for children?
Ans. Daflon is not advisable to be administered to children and neonates unless advised by the paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms/diseases that I should consider before taking Daflon?
Ans. Any bleeding disorders or renal impairment are to be taken into consideration before taking Daflon
Q. Is Daflon legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.