What is Dapoxetine?
- Dapoxetine belongs to group of drugs called as “selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor”
- It helps to improve control over ejaculation and also increases the time it takes to ejaculate during intercourse.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Dapoxetine in Hindi
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1mg
Uses of Dapoxetine
- It is used most commonly for the treatment of premature ejaculation in men.
Also Read: Darolac Uses | CYPON Syrup Uses | Cyclopam Syrup Uses
How does Dapoxetine work?
- Premature ejaculation is thought to be mediated by Serotonin (a chemical/ neurotransmitter involved in nerve signalling).
- Low level of Serotonin in certain areas of brain is the primary cause of premature ejaculation.
- Dapoxetine inhibits the reuptake of Serotonin in neurons (nerve cells) and thus substantially potentiate the effect of Serotonin subsequently on pre and post synaptic receptors in nerve cells.
- Thus Dapoxetine works by increasing the level of Serotonin which prolongs the sexual activity without premature ejaculations and also provides good control over ejaculation.
Dapoxetine Price In India
|30 mg Strip of 6 Tablets||Rs 144|
Also Read: Cyra-D Price | Cyclopam Price
How to Take Dapoxetine?
- Dapoxetine is available as 30mg and 60mg tablet.
- Dapoxetine tablets are usually well absorbed orally and achieve its peak plasma concentration in 1.5hours after dosing.
- Patients are advised to take the dosage as needed 1-3 hours before sexual intercourse.
- Dapoxetine tablet can be taken with or without food or as advised.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole with plenty of fluids without crushing or chewing it.
- Do not take more than one tablet in 24 hours. It is not intended for daily use.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Common dosage for Dapoxetine?
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The most usually recommended dose of Dapoxetine is one 30mg tablet 1-3 hours prior to intended sexual activity. Treatment should not be initiated directly with 60mg tablet.
- The dose should only be increased to 60mg only when response to 30mg Dapoxetine is not sufficient.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- Avoid use of Dapoxetine in children.
- Dapoxetine should be used with caution in elderly patients above 65 years and those suffering from kidney and liver diseases.
- In such patients, dose of Dapoxetine should be adjusted as advised by the physician.
- In case of any adverse effects, seek medical attention immediately.
Precautions – When to Avoid Dapoxetine?
Dapoxetine should not be used in:
- Patients allergic to its ingredients.
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis.
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients with cardiac problems (heart failure, irregular heart rate, valvular heart disease)
- Patients with bleeding disorders
- History of syncope (fainting)
- History of severe depression
- History of seizures
- In severe Alcoholics
Side-effects of Dapoxetine?
- Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients.
- Few commonly observed side effects may include:
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Reduced libido
- Dry mouth
In such cases, inform your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Also Read: Ciplox 500 Side Effect | Cefixime 200 Side Effect | Calpol Side Effect
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Although Dapoxetine is used for treatment of premature ejaculation but an allergic reaction to Dapoxetine might occur (although very rare).
- Possible allergic reactions reported include:
- Itchy skin
- Swelling especially on face, lips & throat
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing and
- Loss of consciousness.
Effect on organs
- Dapoxetine should be used with caution under medical supervision in patients with risk of cardiac arrest or cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart beat) and other heart problems.
- In patients with moderate to severe liver and kidney disease, Dapoxetine should be used with caution and after dose adjustment by the physician.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Dapoxetine include:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors like isocarboxazid
- Anti-fungal like Ketoconazole, Fluconazole
Using all these medicines along with Dapoxetine can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed. Consult your doctor before administering any of the above mentioned drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time taken for Dapoxetine to show its effect depends upon dose of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Most patients show effect within 1-3 hours of intake.
Storage Requirements for Dapoxetine
- Dapoxetine should be stored away from direct heat and light and at temperature below 40 degrees.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pet.
Pro Tips When Taking Dapoxetine –
- Do not take Dapoxetine along with alcohol and other recreational drugs as it might increase the severity of adverse effects.
- Dapoxetine should not be used more than once in 24 hours.
Is Dapoxetine Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Dapoxetine with alcohol?
Dapoxetine should not be used with alcohol and other recreational drugs as it increases the risk of severe adverse effects like:
- Severe drowsiness
- Slow reflexes
- Altered judgment
- Increased chances of syncope(fainting)
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid use of alcohol and other recreational drugs when administering Dapoxetine tablets.
Can I have Dapoxetine When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Dapoxetine tablets are not indicated for use by women. Even if they are taken, they are unsafe during pregnancy.
Can I have Dapoxetine when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- It is unknown whether Dapoxetine is excreted in breast milk or not and its effect on foetus.
- Thus as a precautionary measure, Dapoxetine should be avoided in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Dapoxetine?
- Dapoxetine Tablet affects the ability to drive and use heavy machinery.
- Patients on Dapoxetine may experience dizziness, altered judgment, syncope, blurred vision etc.
- Such patients should avoid driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Dapoxetine?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Dapoxetine?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Dapoxetine to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Dapoxetine?
The dosage regimen of this medicine is not fixed. It is only taken when the need be hence missing a dose is unlikely.