Table of Contents
- 1 What is Dapsone?
- 2 Uses of Dapsone
- 3 How Does Dapsone Work?
- 4 Dapsone Price In India
- 5 How to Take Dapsone?
- 6 Common Dosage for Dapsone?
- 7 When to Avoid Dapsone?
- 8 Side-Effects of Dapsone
- 9 Effects of Dapsone on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Dapsone
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Dapsone addictive?
- 15 Can I have Dapsone with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Dapsone when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Dapsone when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Dapsone?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Dapsone?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Dapsone?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose Dapsone?
- 23 Storage Requirements for Dapsone
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Dapsone
What is Dapsone?
Dapsone is an antibacterial agent which acts by killing the bacteria or stopping their growth in your body.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Medicines
Uses of Dapsone
Dapsone is used in the treatment of:
- Dermatitis herpetiformis (itchy skin rash with bumps and blisters)
- Bacteriologically negative tuberculoid
- Hansen’s disease
- Prevention of infections due to HIV
- As a gel for acne
How Does Dapsone Work?
Dapsone acts by stopping the growth of bacteria thereby killing them. This leads to the healing of your infections.
Dapsone Price In India
|100 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 232.56|
Also Read: Chlorthalidone Price | Cisplatin Price
How to Take Dapsone?
Dapsone tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it.
Common Dosage for Dapsone?
Dapsone is generally prescribed one to two times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Clarithromycin Dosage | Cotrimoxazole Dosage | Cyclophosphamide Dosage
When to Avoid Dapsone?
Avoid Dapsone if:
- You are allergic to any component of Dapsone
- You have liver disease
- You have a blood disorder
- You have heart disease
- You have lung disease
- You have very severe diabetes
Side-Effects of Dapsone
Some of the reported side effects of Dapsone are:
- Low blood cells
- Sore throat
- Pale skin
- Red spots on the skin
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
Other medicine Side Effect's: Cyclosprine Side Effect | Danazol Side Effect
Effects of Dapsone on Organs?
Dapsone is not safe for patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Dapsone are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Dapsone:
Effects/Results After Consuming Dapsone
The effect of Dapsone starts within one day of administration but it is firmly advised to complete the full course to see the best effect.
Is Dapsone addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported for Dapsone.
Can I have Dapsone with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Dapsone. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Dapsone when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Dapsone if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Dapsone when feeding a baby?
Dapsone is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Dapsone?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Dapsone. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Dapsone?
An overdose of Dapsone will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Dapsone?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Dapsone, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose Dapsone?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for the next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Dapsone
- Always store Dapsone at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Dapsone away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Dapsone
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Dapsone if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Maintain a 2-hour gap when taking antacids along with this medication.
- Complete the full course of Dapsone even if your symptoms disappear.
- Do not try to take this medication for conditions not prescribed by your doctor.
Other medicine to read: Chlorpheniramine Maleate