Table of Contents
- 1 What is Deflox?
- 2 Uses of Deflox Tablet
- 3 Deflox Composition
- 4 How does Deflox work?
- 5 Deflox Prices in India
- 6 How to Take Deflox
- 7 Common Dosage of Deflox Tablet
- 8 When to Avoid Deflox Tablet & Precautions to Take?
- 9 Side Effects of Deflox Tablet
- 10 What Are The Effects of Deflox Tablet on Organs?
- 11 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 12 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 13 Shows Effects/ Results In
- 14 Storage Requirements for Deflox Tablet
- 15 Pro Tips When Taking Deflox Tablet
- 16 FAQs
- 17 Is Deflox addictive?
- 18 Can I have Deflox Tablet with alcohol?
- 19 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 20 Can I have Deflox Tablet when pregnant?
- 21 Can I have Deflox Tablet when feeding a baby?
- 22 Can I drive after taking Deflox Tablet?
- 23 What happens if I overdose on Deflox?
- 24 What happens if I eat expired Deflox?
- 25 What happens if I miss a dose of Deflox?
What is Deflox?
Deflox is a broad-spectrum antibiotic belonging to a subclass, fluoroquinolone. It is available in tablet form for oral administration. It is used to treat a variety of bacterial conditions such as bronchitis, pneumonia, gonococcal infection, and certain types of infectious diarrhoea.
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy promo code | Myra Medicines promo code
Uses of Deflox Tablet
Deflox Tablet is prescribed for:
- Skin and soft tissue Infection
- Urinary tract infections
- Gynecological infections
- Infectious diarrhea
Read More: Clopam Composition | Colimex composition | Combivir composition
The active ingredient of Deflox is “Ofloxacin”.
How does Deflox work?
- Deflox works by inhibiting an enzyme (DNA Gyrase) required for the bacterial DNA to replicate.
- This leads to the inhibition of cell division and multiplication and growth, resulting in the eventual death of the bacteria.
Deflox Prices in India
|Strip of 10 tablets of 200mg||Rs. 60|
|Strip of 10 tablets of 500mg||Rs. 89|
How to Take Deflox
- Deflox is administered orally in the form of tablets, with or without food.
- Deflox tablets should be directly swallowed with water in one go without chewing, crushing or breaking it.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at evenly spaced intervals to maintain a certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
Common Dosage of Deflox Tablet
- The recommended dose of Deflox for adults may range from 200 to 800 mg per day in divided doses. The most common dose being 400mg Deflox Tablet every 12 hourly.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
When to Avoid Deflox Tablet & Precautions to Take?
- Avoid the use of Deflox Tablet if you are allergic to it or to any other component present in it.
- Deflox Tablet is not recommended for use in patients with a history of myasthenia gravis.
- Be cautious while receiving this medicine, if you have undergone a transplant of kidney, heart, or lung.
- Usage of this medicine without sufficient proof of a bacterial infection should be avoided. It may increase the risk of development of bacteria that are drug resistant.
- Use of Deflox may cause blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, etc. in some patients, thus avoid driving a vehicle.
- Deflox Tablet may make you sensitive towards the sun.
- The use of Deflox is not recommended in patients less than 18 years of age.
Side Effects of Deflox Tablet
Some of the reported side effects of Deflox Tablet are:
- Abdominal pain
- headache difficulty in sleeping (insomnia)Confusion
- Painful urination
- Decreased appetite
- Joint pain
- Change in taste
- Excessive air or gas in the stomach (Flatulence)
Read More: Coxib side effects | Cycladol side effects | Demelan side effects
What Are The Effects of Deflox Tablet on Organs?
- Cardiovascular reactions-Fluid retention, changes in blood pressure, palpitations and dilatation of blood vessels.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Indigestion.
- Genitourinary reactions- Burning, irritation, pain and rash of the female genitalia, painful menstrual period, painful urination.
- Central nervous system reactions- Seizures, anxiety, cognitive change, depression, hallucinations, tingling, fainting, tremor, and confusion.
- Respiratory reactions- Respiratory arrest, cough, and runny nose.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Symptoms of allergic reactions from Deflox Tablet are:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of face or throat or hands
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions when consuming Deflox Tablet:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- Antidiabetic drugs
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Shows Effects/ Results In
- Deflox inhibits the growth of bacterial DNA leading to their death.
- The effect of Deflox Tablet can be seen within 1 to 3 hours of administration.
Storage Requirements for Deflox Tablet
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store it at room temperature between 25-30°C.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips When Taking Deflox Tablet
- Deflox is active against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. However, overuse or unnecessary usage of Ofloxacin may cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of the antibiotic.
- Even if you begin to feel better in a few days of treatment with Deflox, it is advisable that you complete the entire course of treatment. If the medicine is stopped in between, the symptoms might return or may get worsened. Also, chances of bacterial resistance to the drug may increase.
Is Deflox addictive?
Can I have Deflox Tablet with alcohol?
The interaction of alcohol with Deflox Tablet is unknown.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid dairy products and calcium rich products as it might affect the absorption of the drug.
Can I have Deflox Tablet when pregnant?
Yes; only if benefit outweighs the risks as animal studies have shown adverse effects on foetus
Can I have Deflox Tablet when feeding a baby?
Deflox is excreted in human milk so it should be avoided in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Deflox Tablet?
Deflox Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness, decreased alertness as a side effect, in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving.
What happens if I overdose on Deflox?
An overdose of Deflox may cause dizziness or drowsiness.
What happens if I eat expired Deflox?
An expired drug may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use an expired drug.