Table of Contents
- What is Delcon Tablet?
- Uses of Delcon Tablet
- How does Delcon Tablet work?
- How to take Delcon Tablet?
- Common Dosage for Delcon Tablet
- Precautions While Taking Delcon Tablet
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Delcon Tablet Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Delcon Tablet
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Delcon Tablet
- Authored By –
1What is Delcon Tablet?
It is a medicine which is used to prevent or treat allergic conditions like Common cold, watery eyes and hay fever. Shallow breathing, dry mouth and blurred vision are some of the side effects seen observed with this drug. It should be totally avoided in case of hypertension, patients with liver, heart or breathing problems.
Delcon Tablet Composition: Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Phenylephrine 10mg.
Manufactured By:Veritaz Healthcare.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Form:Tablet, syrup and drops.
Price: Rs 33.90 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Decongestant + Antiallergic
Read more: Avva Composition
2Uses of Delcon Tablet
Delcon Tablet serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Rhinitis: Used to treat cases of allergic rhinitis.
- Cough: Used to treat coughing.
- Intraocular tension: Used to treat patients with increased intraocular tension as Delcon exhibits the mydriatic property.
- Insect stings: Used in cases of Insect stings.
- Pruritis: Used to treat pruritis of allergic origin
- Nasal congestion: Used in cases of nasal congestion as it contains decongestant.
- Allergy: Used to provide symptomatic relief of allergy in patients.
- Urticaria: Used in cases of urticaria.
- Watery eyes: Used to treat watery eyes by blocking the secretions.
- Hypotension: Used to treat cases of hypotension.
Know more: Defcort Uses
3How does Delcon Tablet work?
- Delcon Tablet contains Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine as its active ingredient.
- Phenylephrine is a decongestant and it works by constricting the blood vessels which leads to decreased blood flow and decreased swelling of the nose and hence relieves nasal congestion by providing relief while breathing.
- Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine (antiallergic) in nature and works by blocking the actions of histamine, which are responsible for causing allergic reaction and symptoms like runny nose, watery eyes etc.
- Blocking the histamines, Chlorpheniramine ultimately helps relieving the symptoms.
4How to take Delcon Tablet?
- Delcon Tablet can be taken via mouth with or without food preferably with food if there is a known history of stomach problems as food prevents any potential gastric irritation caused by the drug when taken empty stomach.
- Before consuming syrup, the bottle should be shaken up well to have a homogenous mixture of drug.
- After opening the syrup bottle, it should not be kept for prolonged time for use.
- Always use a measuring cup for dose administration as it helps in accurate drug dose intake.
- Delcon Tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Delcon Tablet
- Delcon Tablet dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common adult dose of Delcon tablet is a single 10mg tablet once a day or twice a day depending on the condition being treated.
- Common dose of Delcon syrup for children of 2-6 years of age is 2.5-5ml every 12 hours.
- Common dose of Delcon syrup for children of 6 years and above is 5-10ml every 12 hours.
- In case of children below 2 years, it is advisable to consult a Paediatrician.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
What happens if I overdose on Delcon Tablet?
Overdose of Delcon Tablet can cause serious undesirable effects. Always adhere to the prescribed dose only and in case of overdose, immediately inform the doctor or trained medical staff.
What happens if I miss a dose of Delcon Tablet?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
What happens if I eat expired Delcon Tablet?
Expired Delcon Tablet might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
What is the onset time of Delcon Tablet?
- The effect of Delcon Tablet can be seen within 1 hour of oral administration of drug.
- Duration of action is 12-24 hours.
Till when does the effect of Delcon Tablet stay?
- Time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
- Complete prescribe dose should be taken.
Read more: Belar Dosage
When to Avoid Delcon Tablet?
Do not Consume Delcon Tablet if:
- Seizures: In cases of patients with seizures.
- Heart disorders: In cases of patients suffering from heart disorders like coronary artery disease.
- Breathing disorder: In cases of patients suffering from breathing disorders.
- Liver disorder: In cases of patients suffering from moderate to severe liver disorder.
- Allergy: In cases of hypersensitivity/ allergy
- Glaucoma: In cases of narrow angle Glaucoma
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy
- Lactating mother: In cases of lactating mother
- Overactive thyroid: In cases of patients suffering from overactive thyroid.
- Hypertension: In cases of patients having from high blood pressure (hypertension)
6Precautions While Taking Delcon Tablet
- Liver/ Kidney impairment: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney or liver impairments.
- Stomach problems: Delcon Tablet should be used with extra caution in patients with stomach problems.
- Pregnancy/ Lactation: It should be avoided or given with caution in cases of pregnant and lactating women.
Warnings When Taking Delcon Tablet
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to strictly adhere to the prescribed dose.
Read more: Cremalax Side Effects
Side-Effects of Delcon Tablet
The side effects associated with Delcon Tablet are:
- Nausea (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Shallow breathing (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Palpitations (less common)
- Blurred vision (less common)
- Constipation (less common)
- Swelling of face (common)
- Restlessness (common)
- Stomach ache (less common)
- Bronchospasm (less common)
- Flatulence (common)
- Diarrhoea (less common)
- Blood disorders (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Liver dysfunction (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Delcon Tablet?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Breathing difficulty
- Swelling of face,lip
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Delcon Tablet on organs?
Delcon Tablet should be used with caution in patients with heart, liver impairment as it can affect the liver and heart.
7Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Delcon Tablet. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Delcon Tablet. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Delcon Tablet
Grapefruit juice or grapefruit food item to be avoided.
2. Medicine Interactions with Delcon Tablet
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (mild)
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Antipsychotics (moderate)
- Digoxin (mild)
- Sedatives (moderate)
- Anti Hypertensive (mild)
3. Effects of Delcon Tablet Lab tests
Delcon Tablet doesn’t affect any lab tests as such.
4. Delcon’s Interactions with Diseases/Pre-existing Condition
Breathing problems and coronary artery disease.
Can I have Delcon Tablet with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Delcon Tablet may cause undesirable effects like drowsiness, dizziness or liver damage (when taken in higher doses in patients with liver impairment). The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Delcon Tablet.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with food item has been reported yet.
Can I have Delcon Tablet when pregnant?
No, it should be avoided in pregnancy as harmful effects of the drug on foetus were seen in animal studies. Always inform the doctor before taking Delcon Tablet in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Delcon Tablet when feeding a baby?
Lactating mothers should use it only when necessary and the drug should be used with caution under the doctor’s guidance.
Can I drive after taking Delcon Tablet?
Delcon Tablet can cause drowsiness or dizziness. Therefore, driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided in such cases after 24 hours of taking the drug.
Read more: Benoquin Precaution
8Buyer’s Guide – Delcon Tablet Composition, Variant and Price
|Delcon Plus Tablet||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Paracetamol 325mg + Phenylephrine 10mg||Rs. 39.90 for 10 tablets|
|Delcon Plus 60ml Syrup||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Paracetamol 125mg + Phenylephrine 5mg/5ml||Rs. 56.30 for 1 pack|
|Delcon 15ml Drops||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Phenylephrine 5mg/ml||Rs. 58.40 for 1 pack|
|Delcon Syrup||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Phenylephrine 2.5mg/5ml||Rs. 43.84 for 1 pack|
Save using: Myra Medicines Coupon Code | 1mg Coupon Code | Practo Coupon Code
9Substitutes of Delcon Tablet
The following are alternative drugs for Delcon Tablet:
- Flucold 15ml Drops: Manufactured by Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Kolq C 15ml Drops: Manufactured by Blue Cross.
- Noxcon 15ml Drops: Manufactured by Atlanta Biotec.
- T-Minic 15ml Drops: Manufactured by GSK.
Storage requirements for Delcon Tablet
- Store the Delcon Tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
- Avoid freezing the medicine
Also check out: Colospa Price
10FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Delcon Tablet
Q. What is Delcon Tablet?
Ans. Delcon Tablet is a combination drug that contains Chlorpheniramine and Phenylephrine as its main active ingredients. Delcon belongs to the class of anti allergic drug used to prevent or treat symptoms like cold, running nose and watery eyes.
Q. How long does it take for Delcon Tablet to show results?
Ans. The effect of Delcon Tablet can be seen within 1 hour of oral administration of the drug. The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
Q. Should Delcon Tablet be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Delcon Tablet should not be taken empty stomach as it can lead to gastric irritation.
Q. Does Delcon Tablet make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Delcon Tablet may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Delcon Tablet doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Delcon Tablet should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Delcon Tablet.
Q. Does Delcon Tablet effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Delcon Tablet safe for children?
Ans. Delcon Tablet is safe and can be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician. Variants of same drug are available in the market for paediatric population.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Delcon Tablet?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Delcon Tablet.
Q. Is Delcon Tablet legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
11Authored By –