Table of Contents
- What is Deriform?
- Uses of Deriform
- How does Deriform work?
- How to Take Deriform?
- Common Dosage for Deriform
- When to Avoid Deriform?
- Precautions While Taking Deriform
- Side-Effects of Deriform
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Deriform Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Deriform
- FAQs – 14 Important Questions Answered about Deriform
1What is Deriform?
Deriform is a bronchodilator medication which is used to relieve wheezing and coughing. It may also be used to relieve respiratory symptoms like breathlessness. However, this medicine is not recommended for pediatric use. (patients younger than 5 years of age). This medication is available in the form of respules.
Deriform Composition – arformoterol
Manufactured By – German remedies
Prescription – Available as OTC medicine
Form – respules for inhaling
Price – ₹28/strip (containing 2ml respules each)
Expiry/Shelf Life – The shelf life of unused Deriform respules can last upto 24 months or two years. It maybe safe to use them even after 12 months of expiry in some cases.
Type of Drug –Long acting β2 adrenergic agonist(LABA)
2Uses of Deriform
- The uses of deriform can be found prominently in the treatment of respiratory disorders. Usually, deriform is combined with another steroid and prescribed. Together they help in treating asthma attacks.
- Deriform is used in the treatment of COPD(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Deriform is used as a bronchodilating medication. When it is breathed in through the mouth, it helps in opening up of the bronchial tubes present in the lungs. These help to increase the flow of air to the lungs and therefore aids in the breathing process.
- Deriform also helps to relieve bronchospasm after exercising.
- Typical usage of the compound formoterol in deriform can be used to treat ulcerations in the duodenal region of the small intestine.
3 How does Deriform work?
Deriform works by catalyzing the conversion of ATP(Adenosine triphosphate) to cyclic AMP(CAMP). This helps the muscle present in the bronchus section to relax. It releases pro-inflammatory mast cell mediators(histamine)
4How to Take Deriform?
- Deriform is generally available as a powder-filled respule.
- It requires to be inhaled by mouth.
- Special kind of inhalers is present for the intake of deriform.
5Common Dosage for Deriform
- FOR ADULTS = As respule = 12mcg twice/day.
- In severe cases – max dose upto 24mcg twice/day.
- FOR CHILDREN – Use not recommended until absolutely necessary
Q. What happens if I overdose on Deriform?
Ans. Deriform is a sympathomimetic medication. Overdosage of deriform can cause serious problems like cardiac arrest. In some cases, it may even prove to be fatal. Overdosage may cause poisoning and other unintended side effects.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Deriform?
Ans. If you miss a dose of deriform, it is advised to miss that particular dose. After that, go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses of deriform at once or simultaneously.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Deriform?
Ans. It is better not to take expired medicine. However there has been instances where the medicine lasted upto 12 months even after its expiration date. The intake of a single dose of expired deriform is not likely to produce an adverse effect in the body. Maximum chances are the expired drug has more likely become ineffective.
Q. What is the onset time of Deriform?
Ans. The action of deriform starts after 15-30 mins after its intake. It is taken through the mouth which causes it to have quicker onset of actions
Q. Till When Does the Effect of Deriform Stay?
Ans. Deriform has effects which can last upto average duration of 12 hours after its intake. Compared to other medications the onset of action time is much quicker in deriform.
6When to Avoid Deriform?
- Any drug which causes hypersensitivity reaction in the body should be avoided at all costs.
- Allergic reactions maybe produced by deriform in which case you should consult with your doctor.
- Deriform should not be taken for acute severe asthma attacks. It is not a medication for chronic asthma.
7Precautions While Taking Deriform
- Deriform can cause mild forms of motion sickness and woozing.
- Long term usage of deriform can worsen asthma condition.
- List of potential benefits may or may not exceed that of potential risks involved. Therefore it is advised to use deriform with utmost caution.
Warnings When Taking Deriform
- Deriform should not be taken in acutely detoriating patients.
- Deriform is not ment for relief from acute symptoms.
- The recommended dose of deriform must not be exceeded to avoid overdose
- Due to intake of deriform spasmic activity may occur in the bronchial chamber which may proof to be life threatning.
- Deriform should be carefully used in patients with cardiovascular or convulsive disorders.
8 Side-Effects of Deriform
The adverse reactions produced by deriform are as follows-
- Diarrhea (Common)
- Dryness of the mouth, lack of moisture(Common)
- Nausea and vomiting(Common)
- Feelings of dizziness and wooziness.(Common)
- Insomnia or lack of sleep at night.(Common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Deriform?
Yes there has been instances of allergic reactions to deriform. In some case it causes too much sensitivity in the lungs. As a result bronchial chambers may expand and get blocked. Such instances should be avoided at all costs. In case of allergic reactions do not avoid, contact your health care professional as soon as possible.
What are the effects of Deriform on organs?
- The primary effects of deriform is seen in the respiratory system of the patient
- Deriform shows relaxation of bronchial chambers creating space for intake of more air
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
The ideal use of Deriform is to treat COPD(Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Deriform may be used to treat Emphysema.
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming deriform. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Deriform. We explore these in detail below. The terms “severe” and “mild” explain the severity of the effect of the interaction.
1. Food Interactions with Deriform
- Avoid salt or NaCl so that no more water is retained in the body. This can cause breathing difficulties to prolong further.
- Avoid any kind of drink or food which is acidic in nature. Failing to comply can result in a feeling of heartburnt.
- Aeriated drinks can contain a lot of sugar they will add calories unnecessarily. As a result, bloating of the body may occur
- Meat like bacon products can contain nitrates which should be avoided
2. Medicines Interactions with Deriform
- Deriform may react with other adrenergic group of drugs.
- Some drugs which are steroids may cause changes in ECG
- Diuretics may also effect ECG results.
- Anti-depressant medicines can cause the drug to drug interactions with deriform
3. Effects of Deriform on Lab Tests
- Improper dosage of deriform may cause it to react with other medication and show changes in ECG results and readings.
4. Deriform’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases –
- Already existing asthmatic condition cannot be cured with the use of deriform.
- Use with caution in patients having cardiovascular disorders/problems of the heart.
- Usage of deriform must also be avoided in patients with recurring convulsive disorders.
Q. Can I have Deriform with alcohol?
Ans. Interactions with alcohol are not known properly. This is because the accumulation of clinical data is insufficient. In case of any problems or complications please consult with your doctor.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid excessive amounts of salt while on this medication. This will cause water retention in the body and respiratory troubles to prolong further. Avoid soft drinks due to the presence of carbonated water. Nitrate containing red meat should be avoided. Acidic food items should also be avoided.
Q. Can I have Deriform when pregnant?
Ans. There is not enough clinical data in this field. However, animal studies have shown a considerable effect on the foetus. Given benefits may be the reason of use given the risks.
Q. Can I have Deriform when feeding a baby?
Ans. During breastfeeding, there is a risk of unwanted effects in the newborn baby when this medication is taken by the mother. It is advised to take deriform when absolutely necessary.
Q. Can I drive after taking Deriform?
Ans. Deriform may cause a feeling of wooziness. Therefore, it is not advised to take deriform just before driving or lifting heavy machinery. It has been reported to cause temporary shakiness.
10Deriform Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Deriform Variants||Deriform Composition||Deriform Price|
|Deriform 12mcg Respicap||Formoterol (12mcg)||Rs. 66.67|
|Deriform 12mcg Respules||Formoterol (12mcg)||Rs. 28|
Buy & Get minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupon Code | Myra Medicines Coupon Code
11Substitutes of Deriform
- Manufactured by – Cipla Ltd
- Price – Rs 21.52
Storage requirements for Deriform
- Keep in room temp.
- Keep away from the reach of children.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Avoid extreme temperature deviations and humid situations.
12FAQs – 14 Important Questions Answered about Deriform
Q. What is Deriform?
Ans. Deriform is a brochodilating medicine which helps in the treatment of COPD. It may also be used in the treatment of asthma and emphysema.
Q. What are the uses of Deriform?
Ans. To treat the following conditions: COPD, asthma attacks, emphysema. Deriform is used for dilation of bronchioles.
Q. What are the side effects of Deriform?
Ans. the side effects of deriform may increase the risk of asthma-related deaths in the general population of patients. Other side effects include diarrhea, dryness of mouth or oral cavity, dizziness and insomnia or lack of sleep.
Q. How effective is Deriform?
Ans. Deriform seems to be effective in usage. Adequate dosage for proper results is advised.
Q. How long does it take for Deriform to show results?
Ans. Deriform may take only 15-30minutes to give relief. This is because the drug is commonly taken in the form of respules
Q. Should Deriform be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Since the usage of deriform maybe required at unexpected times, it is permitted to use deriform in an empty stomach. The effect of deriform is seen more prominently on the lungs, not on the stomach as it is inhaled.
Q. Does Deriform make you drowsy?
Ans. There are reported cases of drowsiness caused by the intake of deriform. Therefore it is not advised to lift heavy machinery or drive.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 Deriform tablets?
Back to back dosing of deriform is not recommended at all More than adequate dosage of deriform can causes serious health implications. Overdosage may prove to be fatal. Therefore a gap between two dosages of deriform is recommended
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Please note that deriform uses spasmic activity on bronchioles momentarily. It is not used as an ideal solution for serious respiratory disorders.
Q. Does Deriform effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. There is no reported case of deriform affecting the menstrual cycle in women. Therefore it may be safe to conclude that there are no ill effects as per clinical data in this case.
Q. Is Deriform safe for children?
Ans. Deriform can be used as a periodic medicine in some cases. Please note that usage is recommended based on the necessity. When no other options are left derifrom maybe used.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Deriform?
- CNS effects: Dizziness, tremors, headache.
- Gastrointestinal: nausea and vomiting, stomach upsetting problems.
- Respiratory- tractinfections
- ENT: Changes in voice
- Muco Skeletal: Muscle crams
- Hypersensitivity reaction: Formation of hide on skin
Q. Is Deriform legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Q. Is there a generic variant for Deriform?
Ans. Alternatives include foratec 2ml respules by Cipla costing around Rs 26 per pack.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.