Table of Contents
- 1 What is Dettol?
- 2 Uses of Dettol
- 3 How does Dettol work?
- 4 Dettol Price In India
- 5 How to take Dettol?
- 6 Common dosage of Dettol
- 7 When to avoid Dettol & Precautions to take?
- 8 Side Effects of Dettol
- 9 Effect on organs?
- 10 Reported allergic reactions?
- 11 Drug interactions to be careful about?
- 12 Shows effects
- 13 Storage Requirements for Dettol
- 14 Pro Tips when taking Dettol
- 15 FAQs – Things to Know About Dettol
- 16 Is Dettol addictive?
- 17 Can I have Dettol with alcohol?
- 18 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 19 Can I have Dettol when pregnant?
- 20 Can I have Dettol when feeding a baby?
- 21 Can I drive after taking Dettol?
- 22 What happens if I overdose on Dettol?
- 23 What happens if I eat expired Dettol?
- 24 What happens if I miss a dose of Dettol?
Dettol Composition – 4.8% Dettol Admix + Pine Oil + Isopropanol
Manufactured By – Reckitt Benckiser
Prescription – Prescription not Required
Form – Liquid
Price – Rs 37.49
Quantity – 110 ML in a Bottle
What is Dettol?
- Dettol is an antiseptic and disinfectant which is used for skin disinfection and cleaning surgical instruments.
- Dettol is also used within a number of household disinfectants and wound cleaner.
- It is considered as the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system by WHO.
Buy & Get Up to 30% OFF: Pharmeasy Coupons | Myra Medicines Coupons
Uses of Dettol
Dettol is prescribed for:
- Disinfecting surgical instruments in hospital
- Wound-cleansing applications
- Household antiseptics
Also Read: Duphalac Uses
How does Dettol work?
- As a phenol antiseptic, molecules present in Dettol binds to certain proteins on the cell membrane of bacteria, and disrupts the membrane so as to allow the contents of the bacterial cell to leak out.
- This allows Dettol to enter the bacterial cell to bind further with more proteins and enzymes to disable the cell’s functioning.
- At particularly high concentrations, the protein and nucleic acid content of targeted bacterial cells become coagulated and cease to function, leading to rapid cell death.
Also Read: Diamox Composition
Dettol Price In India
|110 ml Bottle of Liquid||Rs. 24.14|
|110 ml Bottle of Liquid||Rs. 36.00|
|210 ml Bottle of Liquid||Rs. 64.00|
|550 ml Bottle of Liquid||Rs. 156.00|
|1 Ltr. Bottle of Liquid||Rs. 249.00|
|50 ml Bottle of Instant Hand Sanitizer||Rs. 86.00|
|200 ml Bottle of Instant Hand Sanitizer||Rs. 83.00|
|900 ml Bottle of Instant Hand Sanitizer||Rs. 95.00|
|Packet of 125mg Soap||Rs. 165.00|
How to take Dettol?
- Dettol is administered topically in the form of liquid.
- It also comes as an antibacterial soap.
Common dosage of Dettol
Dettol is applied on the affected area or wound using a cotton swab, once or twice a day.
Also Read: Digene Dosage
When to avoid Dettol & Precautions to take?
Avoid using Dettol if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
Also Read: Dextrose Precaution
Side Effects of Dettol
Dettol may cause mild skin irritation.
Also Read: Duolin Side Effects
Effect on organs?
No adverse reaction has been reported yet.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, throat, hands or legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
No drug interactions are known.
Dettol is effective against gram positive area and it disrupts the cell wall due to its phenolic nature.
Storage Requirements for Dettol
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Dettol
- Clean the affected area before application of Dettol.
- Use a cotton swab and pour the liquid in it for application.
FAQs – Things to Know About Dettol
Is Dettol addictive?
Can I have Dettol with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Dettol when pregnant?
Can I have Dettol when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Dettol?
What happens if I overdose on Dettol?
Overdose of Dettol is not possible since it is designed to be used topically.
What happens if I eat expired Dettol?
Expired Dettol may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Dettol?
If you miss a dose of Dettol, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.