Table of Contents
- 1 What is Dexona?
- 2 Uses of Dexona
- 3 How does Dexona work?
- 4 Dexona Price in India
- 5 How to take Dexona?
- 6 Common dosage of Dexona
- 7 When to avoid Dexona & Precautions to take?
- 8 Side Effects of Dexona
- 9 Effect on organs?
- 10 Reported allergic reactions?
- 11 Drug interactions to be careful about?
- 12 Shows effects
- 13 Storage Requirements for Dexona
- 14 Pro Tips when taking Dexona
- 15 FAQs – Things to Know About Dexona
- 16 Is Dexona addictive?
- 17 Can I have Dexona with alcohol?
- 18 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 19 Can I have Dexona when pregnant?
- 20 Can I have Dexona when feeding a baby?
- 21 Can I drive after taking Dexona?
- 22 What happens if I overdose on Dexona?
- 23 What happens if I eat expired Dexona?
- 24 What happens if I miss a dose of Dexona?
Dexona Composition – Dexamethasone 0.5 MG
Manufactured By – Zydus Healthcare Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 6.12
Quantity – 30 tablets in 1 strip
What is Dexona?
- Dexona is a corticosteroid or precisely a glucocorticoid, prescribed for certain conditions associated with decreased adrenal gland function.
- It is similar to the steroidal hormone produced by the adrenal glands.
- Dexona treats internal and external swelling associated with diseases like asthma, colitis, arthritis, severe skin allergies etc.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Coupons | Medlife Coupons
Uses of Dexona
- Joint inflammation
- Eye or Ear inflammation
- Chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting
- Bacterial Meningitis
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Cerebral edema
How does Dexona work?
Dexona is a steroid and works by decreasing the release of certain substances that cause swelling or inflammation.
Dexona Price in India
|Strip of 20 Tablets||Rs. 4.08|
|Strip of 30 Tablets||Rs. 6.12|
|4mg packet of 2ml Ampules||Rs. 5.98|
|8mg Ampule of 1 Injection||Rs. 8.32|
Also Read: Dextrose Price
How to take Dexona?
- Dexona is administered orally in the form of tablet or liquid.
- It is also administered intramuscularly or intravenously.
- This medicine is usually taken along with food.
Also Read: Digene Composition
Common dosage of Dexona
The recommended dosage is 0.5 to 40mg per day.
Also Read: Duolin Dosage
When to avoid Dexona & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Dexona if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Dexona is not recommended for use if you have fungal infection affecting an internal organ in the body.
- Not recommended for use in patients suffering cerebral malaria.
- If the patients has an active untreated infection, Dexona is not prescribed.
- Caution is advised in patients with a pre-existing electrolyte imbalance disorder as this medicine is known to cause imbalances in the levels of minerals like calcium, potassium, and sodium in the body.
- Dexona can cause perforations and bleeding in the gut especially when high doses are consumed.
- Caution is advised in patients with myocardial infarction, ocular herpes infection, scleroderma, threadworm infection.
- Dexona should be used with caution if the patient is suffering from diseases like cirrhosis, diverticulitis, myasthenia gravis, peptic ulcer disease, and kidney diseases.
- Large dose of this medicine can alter the levels of electrolytes and may cause unexpected changes in blood pressure levels.
- Sudden withdrawal of this medicine can cause withdrawal symptoms.
- In pediatric patients there is a risk of growth abnormalities, brittle bones, and other developmental problems while receiving this medicine.
- Dexona may delay the process of wound healing.
- Do not get vaccinated, especially live vaccine while on treatment with this medicine.
Also Read: Diamox Precaution
Side Effects of Dexona
- Loss of vision or blurred vision
- Black or tarry stools
- Unusual tiredness and weakness
- Agitation and anxiety
- Increased hair growth
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Easy bruising and bleeding
Also Read: Duphalac Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Cardiovascular reactions- Slow or fast heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, poor blood circulation, heart enlargement, heart failure, high blood pressure, heart attack.
- Dermatological reactions- Pimples, skin inflammation, redness, dry skin, impaired wound healing, and increased sweating.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Abdominal distention, elevation in serum liver enzyme levels, liver enlargement, increased appetite, nausea, inflammation of pancreas and ulcer.
- Metabolic reactions- Fluid imbalance.
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Cell death in thighbone, loss of muscle mass, muscle weakness, joint inflammation and vertebral compression fractures.
- Central nervous system reactions- Convulsions, depression, emotional instability, headache, sleeplessness, mood swings, nerve disease, tingling and personality changes.
- Ocular reactions- Increased eye pressure.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Swelling of face, lips, throat or hands
- Shortness of breath
Drug interactions to be careful about?
Concomitant use of following drugs with Dexona is not recommended:
- Live attenuated vaccines
The effect of Dexona can be observed within a 10 to 30 minutes after administration and lasts on the basis of administration and intended use.
Storage Requirements for Dexona
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Dexona
- Sudden mood changes while receiving this medicine need to be reported to a doctor.
- Alcohol consumption should be limited or avoided to help prevent stomach ulcers.
- Dexona is more potent than prednisolone.
FAQs – Things to Know About Dexona
Is Dexona addictive?
Can I have Dexona with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grapefruit juice.
Can I have Dexona when pregnant?
Can I have Dexona when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Dexona?
What happens if I overdose on Dexona?
Overdose of Dexona may cause thinning of the skin, easy bruising and bleeding, body fat deposits, impotence.
What happens if I eat expired Dexona?
Expired Dexona may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Dexona?
If you miss a dose of Dexona, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.