What is Dexorange Syrup?
Dexorange is predominantly used to prevent or treat Iron, Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid deficiencies. Dark colored stools and bitter taste in mouth due to iron content in the drug is the common side effect of dexorange. It should be totally avoided in case of allergic reactions or sensitive patients and in patients with gastric problems.
Dexorange Composition: : Ferric Ammonium Citrate(equivalent to elemental iron 32.8mg) 160mg, Cyanocobalamin(Vitamin B12) 7.5mcg, Folic acid 0.5mg, Alcohol (95%) 0.87ml
Manufactured By: Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
Prescription: Required (also available as OTC)
Form: Capsules and Syrup
Price: Rs 117.11 for 30 capsules and Rs 120.07 for 200ml Syrup.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturingType of Drug: Multivitamin and Multi mineral (Nutritional Supplement).
Also read in Hindi: Dexorange
Uses of Dexorange Syrup
Dexorange Syrup serves a dual purpose as it works for pain as well as fever. It is prescribed for the following:
- Immunity Booster: Used as a source for boosting the immunity in cases of patients with low immunity.
- Anaemia: Used in cases of Anaemia like Iron Deficiency Anaemia that occurs because of inadequate iron intake and excessive loss of blood and in cases of Megaloblastic Anaemia due to Vitamin B12 and Iron Deficiency.
- Weakness: Used in cases of general weakness as it nourishes the body with the required amount of iron, folic acid and Vitamin B12.
- Pregnancy: Used to prevent or treat Pregnancy induced Anaemia as body demands more nutrients during pregnancy.
- Lactation: Used in cases of lactating/nursing mothers as the body demand increases in such cases.
- Appetite loss: Used to increase the appetite in patients with low appetite.
- Post surgical cases: Used for post surgical cases and patients in debilitated states.
Also read: Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Uses | Dolonex Dt Uses
How Does Dexorange Syrup Work?
- Dexorange is basically a composition of Ferric Ammonium Citrate which has between 16.5% and 18.5% of iron.
- It exerts haematinic action as iron is an essential part for Haemoglobin formation. Dexorange is given orally as a source of iron to replenish the iron stores inside the body.
- The Ferric form inside Dexorange is converted into ferrous form and is absorbed in ferrous form. Although, it is absorbed poorly in healthy individuals (about 10%) but in patients of iron deficiency anaemia up to 60% of the dose is absorbed.
How to Take Dexorange Syrup ?
- Dexorange should be taken as per the advised dose by the physician only. The duration and dosage is managed as per the age, medical condition and the response of every individual to the treatment.
- Dexorange Syrup should preferably be taken after meals or as recommended by the physician but it is always recommended to take it at a fixed time daily so that the amount of drug is present inside the body at all times.
- If one is taking Dexorange for iron deficiency anaemia, it can be taken 1hour before the meals as well because iron is well absorbed on empty stomach.
- Dexorange capsules are advised to be swallowed as a whole instead of chewing or crushing it.
- Dexorange syrup is taken more than one dose per day or as advised by the physician but it is advisable to keep a strict time gap between two doses.
- In order to measure the prescribed dose, a medication-measuring cup inside the package of the drug or a proper measuring device should be used instead of using a household spoon.
- Before consuming Dexorange syrup, it should be shaken up properly to have a homogenous mix of medication
- If it is taken as over the counter (OTC) product, the label should be checked thoroughly for directions before use.
Common Dosage for Dexorange Syrup
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The most recommended adult dose is one to two tablespoon following a meal whereas in children, dose as advised by the paediatrician is administered.
- Advisable for patients with liver and kidney disease to consult with their physician before using Dexorange syrup.
- In case of missed dose, consume it as soon as possible, but it should be avoided in case it is already time for the next dose. Do not take double the dose to avoid overdose
- In case of persistence of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately
On this page:
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. What is the onset time of Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. Till When Does The Effect of Dexorange Syrup Stay?
- Warnings When Taking Dexorange Syrup
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Dexorange Syrup?
- What Are The Effects of Dexorange Syrup on Organs?
- 1. Food Interactions with Dexorange Syrup
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Dexorange Syrup
- 3. Effects of Dexorange Syrup on Lab Tests
- 4. Dexorange Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Dexorange Syrup with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Dexorange Syrup when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Dexorange Syrup when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Dexorange Syrup?
- Storage Requirements for Dexorange Syrup
- Q. What is Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. What are the uses of Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. What are the side effects of Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. How effective is Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. How long does it take for Dexorange Syrup to show results?
- Q. Should Dexorange Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Dexorange Syrup make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 Dexorange Syrup Tablets?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Dexorange Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Dexorange Syrup safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Dexorange Syrup?
- Q. Is Dexorange Syrup legal in India?
Q. What happens if I overdose on Dexorange Syrup?
Dexorange should always be consumed as per the prescribed dose. Overdose can lead to some serious undesirable effects. The doctor or trained medical staff should be immediately consulted in case of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Dexorange Syrup?
Dexorange should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Dexorange Syrup?
Expired Dexorange may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Dexorange Syrup?
Dexorange can take first few weeks to show its desired effect after oral administration.
Q. Till When Does The Effect of Dexorange Syrup Stay?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual and also depends on the severity of the condition being treated.
When to Avoid Dexorange Syrup?
Do not Consume Dexorange Syrup in the following scenarios:
- Liver disorders: In known cases of Liver dysfunction or diseases, Dexorange should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Kidney Diseases: In known cases of Kidney disease, Dexorange should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Allergy: If there is any known allergy/hypersensitivity to any of its components.
- Drug intolerance: In cases of intolerance of any individual towards Dexorange.
- Gastritis: In cases of atrophic gastritis.
Precautions While Taking Dexorange Syrup
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Dexorange should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Dexorange should be taken as advised by the physician to have desired effects and drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two doses to avoid overdose of drug.
Warnings When Taking Dexorange Syrup
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead increased risk of side effects.
- The Doctor should always be informed if you are consuming any other nutritional supplement with same composition.
Side-Effects of Dexorange Syrupbiflam
The side effects associated with Dexorange Syrup used for different treatments are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (Less common)
- Indigestion (Less common)
- Diarrhea (Less common)
- Bitter taste in the mouth due to its iron content (Common)
- Dark colored stool due to ferric ammonium citrate (Common)
- Anxiety (less common)
- Depression (Rare)
- Rashes & itchiness on the skin (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Dexorange Syrup?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Dexorange are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness (less common)
- Fever (rare)
What Are The Effects of Dexorange Syrup on Organs?
- Dexorange should be used with extra caution in patients with liver or kidney disorders.
- It helps increasing the iron content in the body and thus leading to increased RBCs (red blood cells) production.
Drug Interactions With Dexorange Syrup to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Dexorange. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Dexorange. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Dexorange Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided apart from alcohol as it may cause liver damage
2. Medicines Interactions with Dexorange Syrup
- All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (Mild)
- Colchicine (Mild)
- Chloramphenicol (Mild): Long term use of Chloramphenicol might decrease effect of Iron on new blood cell formation.
- Neomycin (Moderate)
- Methotrexate (Moderate)
- Barbiturates (Mild)
3. Effects of Dexorange Syrup on Lab Tests
Dexorange can affect the haemoglobin level laboratory test results.
4. Dexorange Syrup’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases or atrophic gastritis.
Q. Can I have Dexorange Syrup with alcohol?
No, Dexorange can interact with alcohol to produce undesirable effects like drowsiness or excessive calmness. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Dexorange
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided when consuming Dexorange Syrup.
Q. Can I have Dexorange Syrup when pregnant?
Yes, there have been no reports of Dexorange causing ill effects on the foetus. But always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Dexorange Syrup when feeding a baby?
Dexorange might cause dizziness or drowsiness in some patients and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
Q. Can I drive after taking Dexorange Syrup?
Dexorange might cause dizziness or drowsiness in some patients and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
Dexorange Syrup Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Dexorange Syrup Variants||Dexorange Syrup Composition||Dexorange Syrup Price (Rs.)|
|Dexorange Syrup||Ferric Ammonium Citrate 160MG + Cyanocobalamine7.5MCG + Folic Acid 0.5MG + Alcohol (95%) 0.87ML||Rs. 120.07 for 200 ml syrup.|
|Dexorange Capsule||Ferric Ammonium Citrate 160 MG + Vitamin B12 7.5MCG + Folic Acid 0.5 MG + Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 20.61MG||Rs. 117.11 for 200 ml|
|Dexorange Paediatric Syrup||Ferric Ammonium Citrate + Folic Acid + Cyanocobalamin||Rs. 66.80 for 60ml syrup|
Buy & Get 20% Discount: 1Mg Coupon Codes | Medlife Coupon Codes
Substitutes of Dexorange Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Dexorange:
- Manufactured by – Albert David Limited.
- Price – Rs. 73 for 10 Tablets
- Manufactured by – Cachet Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 17 for 10 Capsules
- Manufactured by – Merind Ltd
- Price – Rs. 95 for 200 ml
- Manufactured by – Inga Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Price – Rs. 46.6 for 225 ml
Storage Requirements for Dexorange Syrup
- Dexorange should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at room temperature, away from direct heat or light.
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 13 Important Questions Answered about Dexorange Syrup
Q. What is Dexorange Syrup?
Ans. Dexorange syrup is an oral supplement used mainly for the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia (microcytic hypochromic anaemia) and deficiency of vitamin B12. Dexorange provides iron to the body in its elemental form (ferric ammonium citrate) which helps to restore iron deficiency at a quick pace thus leading to faster replenishment of iron stores inside the tissues and correction of anaemia.
Q. What are the uses of Dexorange Syrup?
Ans. Used mainly for the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia (microcytic hypochromic anaemia) and deficiency of vitamin B12
Q. What are the side effects of Dexorange Syrup?
Ans. The most common side effects of Dexorange Syrup are Nausea, Vomiting, Indigestion, Diarrhea, Bitter taste in the mouth due to its iron content, Dark coloured stool due to ferric ammonium citrate, Anxiety, Depression and Rashes & itchiness on the skin.
Q. How effective is Dexorange Syrup?
Ans. Dexorange Syrup is effective as a painkiller due to elemental form iron properties. However as an antipyretic, there are other medicines which perform better when used to treat fever.
Q. How long does it take for Dexorange Syrup to show results?
Ans. Dexorange shows its effect within first few weeks of starting administration of drug.
Q. Should Dexorange Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Yes, Dexorange can be taken empty stomach, especially in cases of Iron deficiency anaemia as iron gets absorbed well on empty stomach but in cases of stomach disorders it is better to consume Dexorange after meals to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Dexorange Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Dexorange might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intake of 2 Dexorange Syrup Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Dexorange toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Dexorange should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Dexorange.
Q. Does Dexorange Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Dexorange Syrup safe for children?
Ans. It is advisable to consult a paediatrician before administering Dexorange in children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Dexorange Syrup?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Dexorange.
Q. Is Dexorange Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal and manufactured by Sanofi India Ltd.
Similar Reads –
You can use latest coupons and offers from below mentioned stores and avail CashKar Cashback:
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.