Table of Contents
- What is Dicynene Injection?
- Uses of Dicynene Injection
- How does Dicynene Injection work?
- How to get Dicynene Injection administered?
- Common Dosage for Dicynene Injection
- When to Avoid Dicynene Injection?
- Precautions while getting Dicynene Injection administered
- Side-Effects of Dicynene Injection
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Dicynene Injection Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Dicynene Injection
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Dicynene Injection
- Authored by –
What is Dicynene Injection?
Used mainly to treat and manage bleeding from small vessels in conditions like bleeding in stools and urine, nasal bleeding (epistaxis). Diarrhoea, skin rash and fever are the common side effects.It should be totally avoided in the case of porphyria, the history of celiac disease and allergy to the drug.
Also Read in Hindi: About Dicynene Injection
Dicynene Injection Composition: Ethamsylate 250mg/2ml
Manufactured By: Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Form: Tablet and Injection
Price: Rs. 40.50 for 2ml Injection.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing.
Type of Drug: Haemostatic drug.
Uses of Dicynene Injection
Dicynene Injection is used to treat the following conditions:
- Epistaxis: Used to control bleeding from the nose, known as Epistaxis.
- Bleeding during delivery: Used to manage or control more than usual bleeding during delivery (child birth).
- Blood in stools: Used to treat or manage bleeding during stool passage due to various reasons.
- Bleeding disorders: Used to treat bleeding due to platelet or coagulation disorder or other conditions.
- Pre/Post surgical bleeding: Used to prevent bleeding before, during or after the surgery.
- Premature babies: Used in the cases of premature babies to prevent chances of periventricular hemorrhages.
- Menstruation: Used in cases of more than usual or heavy bleeding during menstruation.
- Blood in urine: Used to treat cases of patients suffering from bleeding while urinating.
How does Dicynene Injection work?
- Dicynene Injection contains Ethamsylate as its main active ingredient.
- Ethamsylate is haemostatic in nature and works by enhancing the process of clot formation and decreasing the bleeding time.
- Therefore, Dicynene Injection prevents and treats bleeding problems due to various conditions.
How to get Dicynene Injection administered?
- Dicynene Injection is usually available in the form of injection and tablets.
- Dicynene Injection is administered directly into the muscle by the doctor, nurse or other trained medical staff.
- Dicynene Injection can be administered intramuscularly or intravenously by trained medical staff.
- Dicynene tablets can be consumed orally with a glass of water with or without food, preferably with food in cases of patients with a history of gastric problems.
- The tablet should never be crushed or chewed instead it should be swallowed as a whole.
- The pack insert should be read thoroughly to have a better understanding about the drug.
Common Dosage for Dicynene Injection
- The dosage of Dicynene can be decided by the doctor depending on the weight, age, mental and physical status of the patient.
- The oral dose for menstrual bleeding is 500mg 4 times a day during menstruation.
- The oral dose for post-surgical bleeding control is 250-500mg every 4-6 hours or as stated by the doctor.
- Parenteral injection dose for treatment or prevention of periventricular haemorrhage in low birth weight neonates is 12.5mg/kg injection every 4-6 hours or as stated by the paediatrician.
- Pediatrician should always be consulted before administering pediatric dose.
- Self administration of Dicynene Injection without proper medical consultation should be avoided.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Dicynene Injection?
Overdose of Dicynene Injection does not occur usually as the healthcare provider will always give you the correct dose but medical help should be taken immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a scheduled shot of Dicynene Injection?
Try adhering to the dosing schedule of injection and in case you miss a dose, always consult the doctor.
Q. What happens if I get expired Dicynene Injection administered?
Expired Dicynene Injection might not exhibit the desired effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Dicynene Injection and till when does the effect of Dicynene Injection stays?
- The effect of oral Dicynene tablet can be seen within 4-5 hours of oral intake.
- Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient depending on the reaction of the patient’s body to the drug.
When to Avoid Dicynene Injection?
Do not get Dicynene Injection administered if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy/hypersensitivity to Dicynene Injection.
- Bleeding disorders: In cases of bleeding disorders like porphyria.
- Bronchial Asthma: In cases of patients with bronchial asthma.
- Coeliac disease: In cases of patients with coeliac disease.
- Fibroids: In cases of patients with fibroids in the womb.
Precautions while getting Dicynene Injection administered
- Fever: Avoid taking the injections in a high fever.
- Pregnancy: Do not take the Dicynene Injection shot during pregnancy.
- Injection site: Avoid taking injection if the site is swollen or painful.
Warnings when getting Dicynene Injection administered
- There should be a spaced time interval between all the doses.
- Always consult the doctor or qualified healthcare professional for Dicynene Injection shots.
Side-Effects of Dicynene Injection
The side effects associated with Dicynene Injection are:
- High fever (common)
- Skin rash (common)
- Low Blood pressure (common)
- Stomachache (common)
- Headache (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Pain or tenderness at the injection site(common)
- Lightheadedness (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Dicynene Injection?
- Dicynene Injection is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like
- Rashes (common)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
- Swelling of face and eyes (common)
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Dicynene Injection on organs?
- There has been no report of adverse effects of Dicynene Injection on any organ.
- Doctor should always be consulted before administering Dicynene Injection to patients with any organ impairment.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when getting Dicynene Injection administered. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while administering Dicynene Injection. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Dicynene Injection
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Dicynene Injection
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Vitamin B1 supplement: vitamin B1 is inactivated by sulphite present in the Dicynene injection (moderate)
- Dextran: Dicynene should be injected first.
3. Effects of Dicynene Injection on Lab Tests
Dicynene Injection does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Dicynene Injection’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any allergy to the drug or sulphite and bronchial asthma
Q. Can I consume alcohol after administration of Dicynene Injection?
Avoid alcohol consumption with Dicynene Injection. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Dicynene Injection.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I get Dicynene Injection administered when pregnant?
No, it should not be administered during pregnancy especially during first trimester. Always inform the doctor before taking Dicynene Injection in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I get Dicynene Injection administered when feeding a baby?
Lactating mothers should not use it unless necessary and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after administration of Dicynene Injection?
Dicynene Injection does not affect the ability to drive. However, one must avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if headache or dizziness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Dicynene Injection Composition, Variant and Price
|Dicynene Variants||Dicynene Composition||Dicynene Price|
|Dicynene 250mg Tablet||Ethamsylate 250mg||Rs. 146.00 for 10 Tablets|
|Dicynene 500mg Tablet||Ethamsylate 500mg||Rs. 262.00 for 10 Tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: 1mg | Netmeds | Myra Medicines
Substitutes of Dicynene Injection
The following are alternative drugs for Dicynene Injection:
- Hemsyl 2ml injection:
- Manufactured by – Indoco Remedies Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 31.18
- K-Stat Injection:
- Manufactured by – Mercury.
- Price – Rs. 31.5
- Ethasyl 250mg Injection:
- Manufactured by – FDC Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 50
- Ethawk 2ml Injection:
- Manufactured by – Wockhardt.
- Price – Rs. 25.18
Storage requirements for Dicynene Injection
- Store the Dicynene Injection at 2-8O C temperature.
- Do not freeze the injection.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Dicynene Injection
Q. What is Dicynene Injection?
Ans. Dicynene Injection is a drug that contains Ethamsylate and is used to treat conditions like nasal bleeding, heavy menstrual bleeding, etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Dicynene Injection to show results?
Ans. The effect of Dicynene Injection varies as per every individual body’s reaction to the drug.
Q. Should Dicynene Injection be administered on an empty stomach?
Ans. Dicynene Injection should not be administered empty stomach to be on the safer side.
Q. Does Dicynene Injection make you drowsy?
Ans. No, Dicynene Injection may not necessarily cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the administration of 2 Dicynene Injection doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Dicynene Injection should be administered as prescribed by the doctor and the doctor should be the one to decide when to stop the drug.
Q. Does Dicynene Injection effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it helps to control heavy bleeding during menstruation but the drug should not be taken before the menstruation begins and one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems.
Q. Is Dicynene Injection safe for children?
Ans. Dicynene Injection should be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Dicynene Injection?
Ans. Bronchial asthma or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Dicynene Injection.
Q. Is Dicynene Injection legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
Authored by –