What is Digoxin?
Digoxin is sold under the brand name Lanoxin. It belongs to the cardiac glycosides medication class. Digoxin is used to treat various heart diseases such as atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and heart failure.
Manufactured By – Samarth Pharma Pvt Ltd
Other variants and composition –
|Digoxin 50Mcg 30Ml Elixir||Digoxin 50 MCG /ML|
|Diroxin 100Mg Tablet||Ofloxacin 100 MG|
Uses of Digoxin
- Digoxin is used to make stronger and regular rhythmic heartbeat.
- In the case of heart failure, it is used to help pump blood.
- It helps to control the fast heartbeat which occurs due to atrial fibrillation.
- Digoxin is used on myocardial tissues by controlling ventricular response rate.
How Does Digoxin Work?
- Digoxin works on the cardiac muscles directly.
- It slows down the rate of increased heartbeat.
- Digoxin increases the force of heart muscle contraction for every heart beat which in turn pumps the blood efficiently around the body.
How to Take Digoxin?
- Take Digoxin with a full glass of water.
- Measure the liquid form of Digoxin correctly before taking it.
- It is also available in injection form.
- Digoxin should be taken at a regular time on a daily basis.
Common Dosage for Digoxin
- The dosage may differ for different conditions.
- Heart failure: Liquid form for adults-10 to 15 mcg/kg and for children it is about 30 to 45mcg/kg.
- In tablet form for adults -0.125 to 0.5mcg/kg and for children, it should be recommended by the doctor.
Precautions – When to Avoid Digoxin?
While taking the Digoxin you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t take food such as green leafy vegetables
- Don’t take Digoxin along with other diabetes or certain medications.
- Avoid Digoxin if you feel nausea
Side-Effects of Digoxin
Some common side effects of Digoxin are:
- Mood change
- Allergies like rashes or irritation
- Loss of appetite
- Vision problems like blurred vision
Effects of Digoxin on Organs
High dosage of Digoxin may affect kidney, by increasing renal blood flow and increased rate of glomerular filtration. A mild diuretic has also been reported.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Adverse effects will show when Digoxin interacts with:
- Cyclosporine, and
- It causes moderate side effects with Aminoglycosides and
Effects/Results after Consuming Digoxin
Digoxin will show its effect within a few days but it should be taken for months to see the result completely.
Storage Requirements about Digoxin
Digoxin can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light. You should also keep it from freezing.
Pro Tips When Taking Digoxin
- Digoxin should not be taken more or less than the prescribed dosage.
- It may be taken with or without food.
- Record your heartbeat and blood pressure daily.
FAQs – Things to Know About Digoxin
Is Digoxin addictive?
There are some reports of Digoxin addiction by released by the FDA.
Can I have Digoxin with alcohol?
No. Having Digoxin with alcohol will cause confusion and lack of balance.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grape juice, Green leafy vegetables, tyramine containing food substances, etc.
Can I have Digoxin when pregnant?
Though there are no reports proving birth risk while taking Digoxin, you should only take Digoxin if it is prescribed. It is better to take advice from your doctor.
Can I have Digoxin when feeding a baby?
It is reported that Digoxin can pass through the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Digoxin?
Some people may experience fainting, dizziness or blurred vision. So it is always safe to avoid driving after taking Digoxin.
What happens if I overdose on Digoxin?
It would cause arrhythmias, a heart failure condition which can even cause death.
What happens if I eat expired Digoxin?
It might not be effective and sometimes it may cause some dangerous effects on the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Digoxin?
If you miss a dose of Digoxin take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Digoxin made?
Digoxin was first isolated in 1930′ from Digitalis Lanata.