Table of Contents
- What is Diltiazem?
- Uses of Diltiazem
- How Does Diltiazem Work?
- How to Take Diltiazem?
- Diltiazem Price in India
- Common Dosage for Diltiazem
- Precautions – When to Avoid Diltiazem?
- Side-Effects of Diltiazem
- Effects of Diltiazem on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Diltiazem
- Storage Requirements about Diltiazem
- Pro Tips When Taking Diltiazem
- FAQs – Things to Know About Diltiazem
- Is Diltiazem addictive?
- Can I have Diltiazem with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Diltiazem when pregnant?
- Can I have Diltiazem when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Diltiazem?
- What happens if I overdose on Diltiazem?
- What happens if I eat expired Diltiazem?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Diltiazem?
- When Was Diltiazem Made?
What is Diltiazem?
Diltiazem is a nondihydropyrdine which blocks the calcium channel. The brand names under which Diltiazem is available are Cartia, Tiazac, Taztia. It is also an antianginal drug and antiarrhythmic drug. Diltiazem is used as a common medication for the treatment of hypertension and angina pectoris.
Manufactured By – Micro Labs Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Promo Code | Medlife New User Offer
Uses of Diltiazem
- Diltiazem is used to treat some types of arrhythmia.
- It is used to relax smooth muscles and lowers the blood pressure.
- It is used as preventative medicine for migraine.
- Diltiazem also lowers the heart rate.
Also Read: Furosemide Uses | Hydrochlorothiazide Uses | Hydroxychloroquine Uses
How Does Diltiazem Work?
As Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker, it relaxes the smooth muscles so that the heart doesn’t pump hard to pass the blood. It is also used in the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.
How to Take Diltiazem?
- Swallow the tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break the extended released capsule.
- Take Diltiazem with a full glass of water.
Diltiazem Price in India
|Diltiazem (Volume of 10)||Rs 33.00|
Also Read: Duloxetine Price | Estradiol Price | Folic Acid Price
Common Dosage for Diltiazem
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For hypertension, the initial doses range from 120 to 240mg per day and the maximum dose is 540mg per day.
- For atrial fibrillation, 0.25 mg/kg IV as a first bolus.
Precautions – When to Avoid Diltiazem?
While taking Diltiazem you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Diltiazem along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Diltiazem.
Side-Effects of Diltiazem
Some common side effects of Diltiazem are:
- Light headedness
- Stomach upset
- Sore throat
- Flushing tiredness
- Stuffy nose
Also Read: Adderall Side Effect | Diphenhydramine Side Effect
Effects of Diltiazem on Organs
Diltiazem increases the number of liver enzymes which can cause liver injury.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Diltiazem are simvastatin, etc., The drugs which may show moderate side effects are:
- Neurontin, etc.,
Effects/Results after Consuming Diltiazem
Diltiazem will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks but you should follow this medication according to the doctor’s advice for full recovery.
Storage Requirements about Diltiazem
Diltiazem can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Diltiazem
- Diltiazem should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Diltiazem as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Diltiazem.
FAQs – Things to Know About Diltiazem
Is Diltiazem addictive?
No. But Diltiazem can cause adverse effects when it is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Diltiazem with alcohol?
No. Having Diltiazem with alcohol will cause an increase in the blood pressure, dizziness, and tiredness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items such as grapefruit and high fibre diet.
Can I have Diltiazem when pregnant?
Diltiazem is recommended during pregnancy as it causes no side effects in the baby. Although you can take advice from your doctor.
Can I have Diltiazem when feeding a baby?
Taking Diltiazem while breastfeeding can cause serious side effects in infants according to the amount of the drug absorbed and passed through the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Diltiazem?
You should avoid driving if you experience impairment in thinking and reactions.
What happens if I overdose on Diltiazem?
It would cause an asystolic arrest and even coma.
What happens if I eat expired Diltiazem?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Diltiazem?
If you miss a dose of Diltiazem take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Diltiazem Made?
Diltiazem was made in the year 1986.