What is Dimethicone?
Dimethicone is silicone based oil which is also known as polydimethylsiloxane.
Properties of Dimethicone –
- Emulsifier – it helps keep other ingredients from separating
- Emollient – to make the surface of the skin more flexible and help the skin retain moisture
Save from: Myra Medicines Coupons | 1mg Coupons | Practo Coupons
Uses of Dimethicone
- Dimethicone is added in hair care products like
- Leave-in conditioner,
- And de-tangling products.
- Dimethicone is also used in a number of skin care products, like moisturizing creams, and in skin care products used for conditions such as eczema, diaper rashes, and other types of minor skin irritations.
Know more: Lopamide Uses
How does Dimethicone work?
Dimethicone works by acting as an emulsifier and helps keep other ingredients from separating. Dimethicone also acts as a moisturiser and helps retain moisture within the skin. It also works as an emollient and makes the surface of the skin more flexible and help the skin retain moisture.
Also read: Asparginase Composition | Glycerine Composition
How to use Dimethicone?
It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Read more: Doxolin Dosage | Lactulose Dosage
When To Avoid Dimethicone?
Do not use DIMETHICONE
- If you are allergic to Dimethicone
- If you have cuts/wounds/sores on your skin.
Side-effects of Dimethicone?
Side effects are rare. The side effects associated with Dimethicone may include burning sensation, itching or redness.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported are itching, red itchy bumps on skin, rashes.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- If you need to useother drugs on same area of skin it is advisable to leave a gap of few minutes between each application so as to avoid mixing of two drugs.
Know more: Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride Precaution
Shows Effects / Results In:
The time taken for Dimethicone to show its effect depends its intended use.
Store below 25°C and away from direct light and heat.
Pro Tips When Taking Dimethicone
- Always inform your doctor if you are allergic to any ingredients in Dimethicone.
- Avoid contact with eyes, mouth or nose. It is advisable to rinse with cold water in case of an accidental contact.
- Before applying Dimethicone, you must wash your hands thoroughly.
- Never cover the area being treated with bandage or any other airtight dressing unless advised by the physician.
Frequently asked questions
Is Dimethicone Addictive?
Can I have Dimethicone with alcohol?
No interactions with alcohol have been reported.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Dimethicone When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
You can use Dimethicone during pregnancy but it is still advisable to use it under doctor’s supervision.
Can I have Dimethicone when feeding a baby?
There are no known reports of effects of Dimethicone on a lactating mother.
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
The child’s skin should not come into direct contact with the area of skin treated with Dimethicone.
Can I drive after using Dimethicone?
What happens if I overdose on Dimethicone?
If you have applied an over-dose, it is advisable to wash the area with cold water and contact your consulting physician.
What happens if I use expired Dimethicone?
It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Dimethicone to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Dimethicone?
Always apply the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to apply the second dose after that – do not apply double dose.