Skip to Content
- What is Diphenhydramine?
- Uses of Diphenhydramine
- How Does Diphenhydramine Work?
- How to Take Diphenhydramine?
- Diphenhydramine Price in India
- Common Dosage for Diphenhydramine
- Precautions – When to Avoid Diphenhydramine?
- Side-Effects of Diphenhydramine
- Effects of Diphenhydramine on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Diphenhydramine
- Storage Requirements about Diphenhydramine
- Pro Tips When Taking Diphenhydramine
- FAQs – Things to Know About Diphenhydramine
- Is Diphenhydramine addictive?
- Can I have Diphenhydramine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Diphenhydramine when pregnant?
- Can I have Diphenhydramine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Diphenhydramine?
- What happens if I overdose on Diphenhydramine?
- What happens if I eat expired Diphenhydramine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Diphenhydramine?
- When Was Diphenhydramine Made?
What is Diphenhydramine?
Diphenhydramine is sold under the brand name Benadryl. It is an antihistamine drug. Diphenhydramine is used as a common medication for allergies.
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd
Uses of Diphenhydramine
- Diphenhydramine is used as local anaesthetics.
- It is also used to treat symptoms of common cold, Parkinson’s diseases, nausea, and insomnia.
- Diphenhydramine is taken orally or injected in vein or muscle.
Also Read: Estradiol Uses | Folic Acid Uses
How Does Diphenhydramine Work?
Diphenhydramine is used to prevent allergic reactions. It blocks the production of certain natural substances such as histamine, which forms allergic reactions.
How to Take Diphenhydramine?
- Swallow the tablet wholly.
- Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Diphenhydramine can be taken on an empty stomach and with food.
Diphenhydramine Price in India
|Diphenhydramine (100 ml)||Rupees 45.00|
Also Read: Adderall Price | Diltiazem Price | Duloxetine Price
Common Dosage for Diphenhydramine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For insomnia, the initial dose is about 76 per day.
- For motion sickness, it is from 25 to 50mg to be taken 3 to 4 times per day.
- For cold symptoms, it is between 38mg and 76mg to be taken twice a day.
Also read about other medicine Dosage: Hydroxychloroquine Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Diphenhydramine?
While taking Diphenhydramine you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Diphenhydramine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Diphenhydramine.
Side-Effects of Diphenhydramine
Some common side effects of Diphenhydramine are:
- Weakness or tiredness
- Cough or stuffy nose
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Rashes or itching
- Loss of hearing
- Dark coloured urine
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
Also Read: Hydrochlorothiazide Side Effect
Effects of Diphenhydramine on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will have more damaging effects while consuming Diphenhydramine as it is metabolized in the liver.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Diphenhydramine are:
- Antidepressant drugs,
- anxiety drugs,
- sleeping pills,
- tranquilizers and
- other antihistamines.
Effects/Results after Consuming Diphenhydramine
Diphenhydramine will show its effect within 2 hours and lasts up to 7 hours. But you should consume this medication for 4 to 5 months for full recovery.
Storage Requirements about Diphenhydramine
Diphenhydramine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Diphenhydramine
- Diphenhydramine should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking this drug as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Diphenhydramine.
FAQs – Things to Know About Diphenhydramine
Is Diphenhydramine addictive?
No. But it can cause adverse effects when it is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Diphenhydramine with alcohol?
No. Having this drug with alcohol will cause dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty in concentration by affecting the nervous system.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are recommended by your doctor.
Can I have Diphenhydramine when pregnant?
Diphenhydramine is not reported to have any side effects on mother or baby in the time of pregnancy.
Can I have Diphenhydramine when feeding a baby?
Taking Diphenhydramine while breastfeeding can cause serious side effects on the baby as it may pass through the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Diphenhydramine?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Diphenhydramine?
It would cause dizziness, drowsiness, and agitations.
What happens if I eat expired Diphenhydramine?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Diphenhydramine?
If you miss a dose of Diphenhydramine take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Diphenhydramine Made?
Diphenhydramine was made in the year 1946 by George Rieveschl.