Table of Contents
- What is Disprin?
- Uses of Disprin
- How does Disprin work?
- How to take Disprin?
- Common Dosage for Disprin
- When to Avoid Disprin?
- Precautions While Taking Disprin
- Side-Effects of Disprin
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Disprin Composition, Variant and Price
- Storage requirements for Disprin Tablets
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Disprin
- Authored By –
1What is Disprin?
Used predominantly as a pain reliever in cases of mild to moderate cases of pain and also as a blood thinner in low doses. Gastric bleeding and irritation at repetitive high doses are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in the case of Gastric ulcers, Liver or kidney diseases and prior to surgical procedures.
Disprin Composition: Acetylsalicylic Acid/Aspirin 350mg
Manufactured By: Reckitt Benckiser.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC.
Price: 4.70 (10 tablets)
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: NSAID and Anticoagulant
2Uses of Disprin
Disprin serves a multi-purpose as it works as a pain reliever, and treats cases of fever and inflammatory signs and also works as an anticoagulant (blood thinner). It is used for the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Pain: Used as a pain reliever as it belongs to the class of NSAIDs.
- Menstrual Cramps: used in cases of cramps during menstruation.
- Heart diseases: Used as a blood thinner in low doses in cases of heart problems.
- Fever: Also used in mild cases of fever.
- Toothache: Used in cases of dental pain and also to provide relief in cases of headache.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Used to treat inflammation and pain in cases of rheumatoid arthritis (muscular pain and tender joints).
3How does Disprin work?
- Disprin works by inhibiting the Cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes which further inhibits the production of Prostaglandins which are responsible for the inflammatory signs like pain, redness or swelling.
- Blocking Prostaglandins helps to relieve symptoms like pain, swelling, and redness at the site of injury.
- Disprin contains Aspirin as its main ingredient, which is also anticoagulant in nature and helps to keep the blood thin and increases its flow through narrow blood vessels.
4How to take Disprin?
- Disprin is usually available in tablet form.
- Tablets are usually administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or after food instead of an empty stomach as acidic contents of the empty stomach may affect the pharmacological activity of the tablet and can even affect the stomach adversely.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- Disprin effervescent tablets are easily dissolved in water and can be consumed easily.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
Also Read: Diclofenac Sodium | Dicyclomine Hydrochloride | Drotin Ds
5Common Dosage for Disprin
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common adult dose of Disprin is 300-600mg every 4-6 hours with a maximum dose of not more than 4g a day or as stated by the doctor.
- The common dose of Disprin in children above 12 years of age is 350mg per day or as stated by the doctor.
- The common dose of Disprin in children of 4-12 years of age is 75-100 mg/kg in divided doses or as stated by the doctor.
- It is advisable to administer Disprin in children only after proper consultation with the paediatrician.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Disprin?
Overdose of Disprin can increase the chances of side effects like stomach upset and bleeding in a few cases. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Disprin overdose and gastric emptying (gastric lavage) is to be performed as a treatment measure.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Disprin?
Disprin may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Disprin should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Disprin?
A single dose of expired Disprin is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Disprin and till when does the effect of Disprin stay?
- Disprin Tablets reaches its effect or shows the result in about 5-10 minutes after oral administration.
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Disprin.
Also Read: Dexorange Dosage | Dexamethasone Dosage | Deriphylline Dosage
6When to Avoid Disprin?
Do not Consume Disprin Tablets:
- High Blood Pressure: In known cases of Hypertension as Disprin can lead to sodium and water retention and can further lead to increased blood pressure.
- Asthma: In known cases of Disprin or other NSAIDs induced asthma attack, irritation, and swelling of nose and face or current condition of Asthma.
- Gastric Problems: In known cases or history of stomach or intestinal ulcer, as Disprin can lead to increased risk of bleeding in the stomach.
- Liver Diseases: In cases of the past or current condition of Liver problems or diseases.
- Blood Disorders: In cases of blood disorders like Hemophilia, where blood does not clot easily.
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy, especially during the last three months as it can lead to bleeding.
- Gout: In cases of present condition or history of Gout.
- Severe heart failure: In cases of patients with severe heart failure.
7Precautions While Taking Disprin
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Disprin empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Disprin should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of the drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Disprin
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to Gastric bleeding and liver damage.
- Disprin is not advisable in bleeding disorders.
- Patients in whom Aspirin or other NSAIDs induce symptoms of asthma, rhinitis or urticaria should not be administered Disprin.
8Side-Effects of Disprin
The side effects associated with Disprin Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Stomach upset (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Confusion (less common)
- Increased chances of bleeding (common)
- Drowsiness (less common)
- Irritability (common)
- Vomiting (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Disprin?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Disprin tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Sudden wheeziness. (less common)
What are the effects of Disprin tablets on organs?
- Disprin affects the liver directly and therefore, it is advised to consult and doctor and consume Disprin only after medical consultation to protect liver form any potential damage.
- Disprin also affects the gastric lining. Therefore, it is advised to take precautions and proper consultation.
- High doses of Disprin can lead to heart failure and gastric bleeding.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Disprin. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Disprin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Disprin
No particular food item to be avoided apart from alcohol as it may cause liver damage
2. Medicines Interactions with Disprin
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Mifepristone: a drug used to terminate pregnancy and if taken with Disprin, can be proven less effective. (mild)
- Metoclopramide: drug used to treat nausea and vomiting can lead to increased effects of Disprin if taken concomitantly. (mild)
- Absorbents or Antacids like Aluminium hydroxide can reduce the effects of Disprin. (mild)
- Antidepressants like Citalopram or Fluoxetine. (moderate)
- Sibutramine (drug for weight loss) (mild)
- Valsartan or Losartan (antihypertensive) (moderate)
- Phenytoin and Valproate (antiepileptic): Disprin can increase the effects of these drugs. (moderate)
- Zafirlukast (used to treat asthma) (moderate)
- Acetazolamide (mild)
- Cilostazol (mild)
3. Effects of Disprin on Lab Tests
Disprin should be avoided before Thyroid function tests
4. Disprin’s Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver diseases or asthma, gastric ulcers or bleeding disorder like Hemophilia.
Q. Can I have Disprin with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects when Disprin is taken with alcohol. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Disprin.
Q.Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Disprin when pregnant?
No, Disprin should be avoided during pregnancy especially in the third trimester that is near the term of pregnancy as it may lead to bleeding. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Disprin when feeding a baby?
No, as Disprin is not recommended in lactating mothers and the doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Disprin?
Yes, as Disprin does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Disprin.
10Buyer’s Guide – Disprin Composition, Variant and Price
|Disprin Variant||Disprin Composition||Disprin Price|
|Disprin Plus 500mg Tablet||Paracetamol 500mg||Rs. 10.62 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount from: Netmeds Medicines | Pharmeasy Medicines
11Storage requirements for Disprin Tablets
- Disprin Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at a temperature below 25o C
- The drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Disprin
Q. What is Disprin?
Ans. Disprin is a solo drug containing Aspirin as its main ingredient. It serves a dual purpose as it has got both anti coagulative (blood thinning) and anti-inflammatory properties. It is used mostly to prevent or treat different types of pain.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Disprin to show results?
Ans. Disprin shows its effect in 5-10 minutes of administration of drug.
Q. Should Disprin be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Disprin should not be taken empty stomach as it is a NSAID and may cause stomach irritation and bleeding in few cases when taken on empty stomach.
Q. Does Disprin make you drowsy?
Ans. Disprin might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Disprin Tablets?
Ans. The ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Disprin toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Disprin, when taken for heart problems due to its anticoagulant property, should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Disprin.
Q. Does Disprin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it can affect the menstrual cycle as it can lead to easy and prolonged bleeding. Always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Disprin safe for children?
Ans. Disprin is not to be administered in paediatric population without proper consultation. Therefore, Paediatrician should always be consulted in such cases.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Disprin?
Ans. Any bleeding disorder, Gastric irritation, and liver problems are to be taken into consideration before taking Disprin
Q. Is Disprin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –