Table of Contents
Almonds (Badam) are easily available and have always been the first choice for anyone who wants to include a nut in their dietary regime. These mostly sweet nuts ae packed with a great nutritional value. They are beneficial in increasing Vitamin E levels and lowering cholesterol. They are also a rich source of protein, minerals, fiber and other antioxidants. But should we consume it as a whole, or is peeling its skin off more beneficial? Read further to know a few facts on how soaking almonds and peeling its skin off almonds works better for your health.
Some amazing facts about Almonds
- The almond tree is native to regions from the Middle East, Turkey, India and Pakistan
- Historically, they are assumed to have been around for 19,000 years
- Almonds can be sweet or bitter, the bitter ones are slightly broader and shorter than sweet almonds
- Various forms of this nut like oil, milk, flour and syrup are used worldwide for cookery
- They are known to have amazing benefits for skin, hair and overall health
How Does Soaking Almonds Help?
Taking your mother’s suggestion to soak almonds must have been a right one. This is because the brown peel of almonds contain tannin and phytic acid which hinder nutrient absorption. Soaking almonds and peeling off its skin leads to better absorption of nutrients and doesn’t make you feel heavy. Ayurveda and Chinese medicine also swear by the benefits of soaking almonds overnight and having the peeled almonds the next morning.
Benefits of Having Soaked Almonds
- Helps in digestion of fats
- Curbs appetite by keeping your full and aids in weight loss
- Benefits heart health and lowering cholesterol
- Good source of antioxidants and Vitamin E which prevents aging and inflammation
- Regulates blood pressure
- Revitalizes the skin and adds lustre
- Improves hair growth and shine
- Might decrease chances of birth defect in babies
- Improves brain functioning
- Might be a remedy for diabetes as it controls blood sugar levels
How to Soak Almonds?
It is best to soak a handful of nuts overnight or for 8 hours and have them in the morning. Keep them covered in half a cup of water, drain and peel the skin off. If you need to maintain a stock of these almonds, soak some more, repeat the process and dry them completely. You can keep them stored in an air tight container for at least a week.
Different Ways to Use Almonds
- Almond milk, paste or syrup can be used in making delicious desserts
- Almonds can be shredded and added as a dressing over sweets like kheer, ladoos, chocolates
- They can be added as a whole to salads
- They can be made into smoothies with added ingredients
- For a skin care routine, they can be made as a paste and scrubbed on skin
- Almond oil can be used for massage
- A hair mask can also be made with almond paste
- Almond oil can be applied to the scalp to prevent dandruff and frizz
- Almond oil can also be used on eyebrows and lashes for better growth
Save Money When Buying Almonds By Using
Other Stories About Almonds
- Benefits of Almond for Skin
- Benefits of Almonds For Hair
- Benefits of Almonds
- Nutrition Value of Almonds
- Benefits of Almond For your Face