Table of Contents
- 1 What is Dolamide?
- 2 Uses of Dolamide
- 3 How Dolamide works?
- 4 Dolamide Price in India
- 5 How to take Dolamide?
- 6 Common dosage for Dolamide
- 7 When to avoid Dolamide?
- 8 Drug interactions to be careful about
- 9 Side effects of Dolamide
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 What Are The Effects of Dolamide on Organs?
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Dolamide
- 13 Storage requirements
- 14 Pro Tips:
- 15 FAQs
- 15.1 Is it addictive?
- 15.2 Can I have Dolamide with alcohol?
- 15.3 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 15.4 Can I have Dolamide when pregnant?
- 15.5 Can I have Dolamide when feeding a baby?
- 15.6 Can I drive after taking Dolamide?
- 15.7 What happens if I overdose on Dolamide?
- 15.8 What happens if I eat expired Dolamide?
- 15.9 What happen if I miss a dose of Dolamide?
Dolamide Composition – Nimesulide (100mg) + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (325mg)
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 68
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Dolamide?
- Dolamide is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which reduces pain, fever and signs of inflammation like swelling, redness
- Dolmide contains Nimesulide and Paracetamol as its chief ingredients
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Uses of Dolamide
Dolamide relieve pain, reduce swelling and ease inflammation in conditions affecting the joints, muscles and tendons including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Acute gout
- Ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis affecting spine and large joints)
- Sprains and strains
- Soft tissue sports injuries
- Frozen shoulder, Dislocations
- Tendonitis (inflammation of tendon for example tennis elbow)
- Bursitis (inflammation of sacs filled with lubricating fluid in joints)
- Dental pain
- Muscle pain
- Painful menses
Dolamide may also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
How Dolamide works?
- Dolamide works by obstructing the production of enzyme called as Cyclo-oxygenase which helps in Prostaglandin synthesis
- Synthesis of Prostaglandins in the body is associated with symptoms like pain, fever, swelling etc.
- Therefore by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, Dolamide helps in relieving all associated symptoms (pain, swelling etc)
Dolamide Price in India
|Ranbaxy Labs Dolamide Tablet – Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 68|
|Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Dolamide Tablet – Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 62|
How to take Dolamide?
- Dolamide tablets are usually taken two or three times a day or as directed by your doctor
- These tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed
- They should be taken with food as taking empty stomach may cause gastric side effects
Common dosage for Dolamide
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Use the lowest possible dose for shortest duration whenever possible to reduce the risk of adverse effects when on Dolamide therapy
- The most recommended adult dose being 100 twice a day depending upon the severity of symptoms
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately
When to avoid Dolamide?
- Allergy – Dolamide is not recommended if you have a known allergy of medicines belonging to NSAIDs. Severe allergic conditions like Asthma and itching can be triggered in such cases
- Peptic Ulcer – in patients suffering from peptic ulcer, Dolamide can cause severe swelling and bleeding in the stomach, colon and anus
- Dolamide is not recommended for relieving pain after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Patients suffering from asthma
- Patients suffering from severe liver disease
- Patients suffering from severe kidney disease
- Children under 12 years of age
Drug interactions to be careful about
Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Dolamide include:
- Anti-convulsants (e.g. valproic acid),
- Anti-Fungals (e.g. Ketoconazole),
- Anti-Tuberculous Drugs (e.g. Isoniazid),
- Amoxicillin/Clavulanic Acid
- Other Nsaids, Including Aspirin
- Salicylic Acid
Side effects of Dolamide
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Heart burn
- Dry mouth
- Skin rash
- Dry skin
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Dolamide is not recommended if you are allergic to any of its active ingredient or other NSAIDs. Possible allergic reactions reported are-
- Rashes on skin
- Discoloration of the skin on the face or neck
- Irregular heartbeat
- Swelling of face, neck
- Loss of consciousness
What Are The Effects of Dolamide on Organs?
- It can cause fatal liver disease. Patients with pre-existing liver diseases should use this drug with caution and under supervision of their doctor
- In stomach it can cause ulcers which lead to serious bleeding from stomach or intestine
Effects/Results After Consuming Dolamide
- It depends on the dosage and age of the patient and severity of the problem
- It shows its full effect in 30 minutes. Slowly leads to relief in pain
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture
- Do not freeze
- Dolamide and other NSAIDs can increase the chance of heart attack in patients already suffering from heart disease when taken for longer durations
- Dolamide should be cautiously used in patients with pre-existing peptic ulcer as it can cause bleeding in the stomach or intestine
- NSAIDs should only be prescribed at lowest dose possible and for shortest time
- The government has banned the pediatric use of the common fever and pain drug Nimesulide present in Dolamide for its adverse effects on the liver
Is it addictive?
No habit forming tendencies have been reported with this medicine.
Can I have Dolamide with alcohol?
- Daily use of alcohol while using this medicine may increase your risk for stomach bleeding and liver toxicity
- Refrain from alcohol consumption while taking Dolamide
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food product observed.
Can I have Dolamide when pregnant?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant
- During pregnancy, you must avoid taking Dolamide
- It is not recommended for use during pregnancy as it can harm the foetus or interference with normal delivery
Can I have Dolamide when feeding a baby?
Dolamide is not recommended for use in lactating women.
Can I drive after taking Dolamide?
- Dolamide Tablet may causes side effects like dizziness, headache, drowsiness and light-headedness in few patients
- In such patients, driving and operating heavy machinery should be avoided
What happens if I overdose on Dolamide?
Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects. Symptoms of over dosage include:
- Stomach discomfort
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately
What happens if I eat expired Dolamide?
- Avoid taking expired medicine. If you have taken accidentally and you are feeling any discomfort rush to the doctor immediately for medical assistance
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug
What happen if I miss a dose of Dolamide?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose