Table of Contents
- What is Dolo 650?
- Uses of Dolo 650
- How does Dolo 650 work?
- How to take Dolo 650?
- Dolo 650 Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Dolo 650?
- Precautions While Taking Dolo 650:
- Side-Effects of Dolo 650:
- Buyer’s Guide – Dolo 650 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Dolo 650
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Dolo 650
- Authored By –
1What is Dolo 650?
Dolo 650 is mainly used to treat different kind of pain (moderate to severe) and fever. Liver toxicity and Toxic epidermal necrolysis are the major side effects at high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney disease, heart problems and gastric ulcers.
Dolo 650 Composition: Paracetamol 650 mg
Manufactured By: Micro Labs Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but available as OTC drug.
Form: Tablets, syrup.
Price: Rs 28.05 for 15 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antipyretic and analgesic
2Uses of Dolo 650
Dolo 650 serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Fever: Used in cases of fever (all ages with dose modification)
- Pain management: Used for mild to moderate pain management
- Joint Pain: Used to manage the pain of hip, hand, and knee in cases of osteoarthritis
- Back Pain: Used to treat lower back pain
- Migraine: Used for treatment of migraine headache
- Post operative pain: Used for post operative pain management (in adjunct with other NSAIDs)
- Dental pain: Used to manage dental pain.
- Post delivery: Used to manage postpartum pain (Post delivery pain)
3How does Dolo 650 work?
- Dolo 650 contains Paracetamol as its active ingredient.
- Paracetamol is a NSAID and work by blocking the Cyclo-oxygenase enzymes that are responsible for prostaglandins production.
- Prostaglandins are responsible for the symptoms like pain, swelling and fever and blocking the Cyclo-oxygenase enzyme eventually blocks Prostaglandins production which leads to diminish the symptoms like pain, swelling and fever.
4How to take Dolo 650?
- Dolo 650 is usually available in tablet form for administration.
- Dolo 650 tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, with or after food to prevent any gastric irritation.
- Dolo 650 tablets should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Dolo 650 can be taken after 4-6 hours in a day depending on the severity of the condition with a maximum dose not exceeding more than 4g in a day for adults
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5Dolo 650 Common Dosage
- Dolo 650 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose is 0.5- 1g every 4-6 hours with a maximum dose not exceeding more than 4g day in normal individuals and not more than 2g a day for alcoholics.
- In children up to 2 months: 60mg a day
- In children of 3 months to 1 year: 60-120 mg every 4-6 hours in a day
- In children of 1- 5 years: 120-250 mg every 4-6 hours a day.
- In children of 6-12 years of age: 250-500mg every 4-6 hours in a day
- It is also advisable to consult a paediatrician before administering Dolo650 to Paediatric population.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Dolo 650?
Acute overdose of Dolo 650 can cause symptoms like abdominal pain, nausea, profuse sweating and vomiting. Liver damage is the most fatal outcome of Paracetamol overdose. Consult the doctor or the medical staff immediately in case of Dolo 650 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Dolo 650?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Dolo 650?
Expired dose of Dolo 650 is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Dolo 650?
- Effects/result of Dolo 650 can be seen within 1 hour of consuming the drug.
- A gap of at least 4-6 hours should be maintained between two doses of Dolo 650
Q. till when does the effect of Dolo 650 stays?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Also Read: Avil Dosage | C Tax-O Dosage | CTor Dosage
6When to Avoid Dolo 650?
Do not Consume Dolo 650 if:
- Allergy: If there is any known history of allergy to Dolo 650 or its constituents.
- NSAID allergy: If there is any known history of allergy to Aspirin or any other Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) like Aspirin, Diclofenac, etc.or any other present condition.
- Asthma attack: If any known history of consuming Dolo 650 Tablets or Aspirin or any other NSAID and suffering from asthma attack, irritation of nose, swelling on face, itchy red protuberances on the skin or bleeding in the stomach in past.
- Gastric irritation: If there is any known history of gastric ulcer or any known history of stomach bleeding
- Liver disorder: If there is a known history or present severe kidney or liver disease.
- Heart diseases: If there is a known history of heart disease/heart failure/stroke.
- Breathing problems: If the patient is suffering from asthma or other breathing problems
- Blood disorder: If the history of easy bleeding or one is suffering from porphyria (a blood disorder)
7Precautions While Taking Dolo 650:
- Caution: The drug should not be administered in patients with renal or liver disease without doctor’s consultation.
- Empty stomach: Never consume the drug empty stomach to avoid gastric irritation
- Caution: It should be used with caution in patients with history of cardiovascular diseases and coagulation disorders.
- Dose alteration: Consuming high dose without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Dolo 650
- If the known history of heart diseases, avoid this drug or other NSAID unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Prolonged use should be avoided.
- Dolo 650 dose should never be altered without medical consultation.
8Side-Effects of Dolo 650:
The side effects associated with Dolo 650 are:
- Liver toxicity (in case of overdose) (common)
- Steven Johnson syndrome (less common)
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (less common)
- Gastric irritation (common)
- Dyspepsia (common)
- Rashes (common)
- Renal damage (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Dolo 650?
- In case of any allergic signs like itching, redness and rashes, wheezing, vomiting, immediate medical help should be taken.
- Patients allergic to Dolo 650 or other NSAID should avoid the drug.
What are the effects of Dolo 650 on organs?
- Dolo 650 can affect hepatic and renal functions therefore, extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
- Dolo 650 may affect the CVS (cardio vascular system) and cause heart problems
- Dolo 650 can cause gastric bleeding on prolonged use.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Dolo 650. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Dolo 650. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Dolo 650
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Dolo 650
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Ketaconazole (anti fungals) (mild)
- Warfarin (blood thinner) (moderate)
3. Effects of Dolo 650 on Lab Tests
Dolo 650 does not affect any lab test as such.
4. Dolo 650’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, heart diseases, gastric ulcer
Q. Can I have Dolo 650 with alcohol?
No. As Dolo 650 can interact with alcohol and can also lead to gastric bleeding and liver damage. Always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Dolo 650 when pregnant?
Yes, as it is considered safe during pregnancy but the doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving for case specific recommendations.
Paracetamol in pregnancy increases the child’s risk for asthma.
Q. Can I have Dolo 650 when feeding a baby?
It is known to be secreted in human milk and it is better to avoid or use this drug with caution in nursing/lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Dolo 650?
Dolo 650 doesn’t affect the ability to drive. However, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness/ dizziness occur.
9Buyer’s Guide – Dolo 650 Composition, Variant and Price
|Dolo 650 Variants||Dolo 650 Composition||Dolo 650 Price (Rs.)|
|Dolo 250mg 60ml suspension||Paracetamol 250mg/5ml||Rs. 38.30 for 1 pack|
|Dolonex 1ml Injection||Piroxicam 20mg/ml||Rs. 19.80 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% off: Practo Coupons | Pharmeasy Coupons | 1mg Coupons
10Substitutes of Dolo 650
The following are alternative drugs for Dolo 650:
- Crocin 650 tablet:
- Manufactured by GSK
- Price- Rs. 29
- Calpol 650 tablet:
- Manufactured by Glaxo
- Price- Rs. 29.02
- Dolopar 650mg tablet:
- Manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd
- Price- Rs. 29.06
- Pararite 650 tablet:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price- Rs. 14
Storage requirements for Dolo 650 Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at temperature below 30OC
- Keep it in a place where it is out of children’s reach.
You may read about - Azee 500 | Bandy Plus | Betnovate N
11FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Dolo 650
Q. What is Dolo 650?
Ans. Dolo 650 is multipurpose drug which belongs to the group of NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) as it contains Paracetamol as its main ingredient.Paracetamol being anti pyretic and analgesic in nature is used for management of moderate to severe pain, fever, pain of arthritis, headache etc.
Q. What are the uses of Dolo 650 ?
Ans. Paracetamol being anti pyretic and analgesic in nature is used for management of moderate to severe pain, fever, pain of arthritis, headache etc.
Q. What are the side effects of Dolo 650 ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Dolo 650 are Liver toxicity (in case of overdose), Steven Johnson syndrome, Toxic epidermal necrolysis, Gastric irritation, Dyspepsia
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Dolo 650 to show results?
Ans. Effects/result of Dolo 650 can be seen within 1 hour of consuming the drug.
Q. Should Dolo 650 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Dolo 650 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach irritation.
Q. Does Dolo 650 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Dolo 650 may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Dolo 650 doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Dolo 650 toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Dolo 650 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Dolo 650.
Q. Does Dolo 650 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Dolo 650 safe for children?
Ans. Dolo 650 should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Dolo 650?
Ans. Any liver disorder, heart disease, allergic reactions, asthma and gastric irritation are to be taken into consideration before taking Dolo 650.
Q. Is Dolo 650 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
12Authored By –