What is Domperidone?
Domperidone belongs to group of drugs called as “anti-emetics” which are used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
Manufactured By – Medley Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Domperidone
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy
Uses of Domperidone
- Domperidone is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Fullness of stomach
- Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Domperidone may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
How does Domperidone work?
- Domperidone works by blocking Dopamine receptors. (Dopamine is chemical released by neurons).
- It increases the intestinal movements and helps the stomach get rid of food quickly thus reducing the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
Domperidone Price in India
|Bottle of 100 Tablets||Rs 17.1|
How to Take Domperidone?
- Domperidone is available in various forms:
- Domperidone 10mg tablet
- Domperidone oral suspension
- Domperidone baby oral drops
- Domperidone tablets are usually well absorbed orally and should be administered 15-30 minutes prior to the meal.
- Absorption of the drug is delayed if Domperidone is taken along with or after meals.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole with plenty of fluids without crushing or chewing it.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at evenly spaced intervals (if taking more than 1 tablet in a day) to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- When taken as syrup, a medication measuring device and not a household spoon should be used to measure the prescribed dose. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Common dosage for Domperidone
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The most usually recommended dose of Domperidone is one 10mg tablet 30 minutes prior to meals whenever the need be. The maximum dose that can be taken is up to 30mg per day.
- Avoid use of Domperidone in children.
- Domperidone should be used with caution in elderly patients and those suffering from kidney and liver diseases. Dose adjustment as advised by the physician is advised in such patients.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Doxt SL Dosage | Drotaverine Dosage | ECONORM Dosage
Precautions- When to Avoid Domperidone
Domperidone should not be used in:
- Patients allergic to its ingredients.
- Patients suffering from kidney disease or on dialysis.
- Patients suffering from liver diseases
- Patients with gastro-intestinal haemorrhage, intestinal perforation
- Patients with cardiac problems (heart failure, irregular heart rate)
- Patients with tumour in Pituitary gland.
Side-effects of Domperidone
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients.
Few commonly observed side effects may include:
- Dry mouth
- Breast tenderness
- Skin rash
- Irregular menstrual cycle in females
- Reduced libido
- Lactation disorder
- In such cases, inform your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Reported Allergic Reactions
Although Domperidone is used for treatment of nausea and vomiting but an allergic reaction to Domperidone might occur (although very rare).
Possible allergic reactions reported include:
- Itchy skin
- Swelling especially on face, lips & throat
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing and
- Loss of consciousness.
Effect on organs
- Domperidone should be used with caution under medical supervision in patients
- with risk of cardiac arrest or cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart beat).
- In patients with moderate to severe liver and kidney disease, Domperidone should be used with caution and after dose adjustment by the physician.
- Patients with intestinal disorders like internal bleeding, perforation of stomach or intestine should use this medicine with great caution.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Domperidone include:
- Antibiotics like Erythromycin, Levofloxacin
- Anti-fungal like Ketoconazole, Fluconazole
- Using all these medicines along with Domperidone can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
- Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed. Consult your doctor before administering any of the above mentioned drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time taken for Domperidone to show its effect depends upon dose of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Most patients show decreased severity of symptoms within few hours.
- Do not take Domperidone for longer than 7 days without consulting your doctor.
Also read about other medicine's side effect: Dytor Plus | Duphaston | dulcoflex
Storage Requirements for Domperidone
- Domperidone should be stored away from direct heat and light and at temperature below 40 degrees.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pet.
Pro Tips When Taking Domperidone
Domperidone may affect proper functioning of heart in patients suffering from cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beat) and heart failure especially in elderly thus medical supervision is recommended.
Is Domperidone Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Domperidone with alcohol?
- Interaction of Domperidone when administered with alcohol is unknown.
- Consult your doctor before consumption of alcohol when on Domperidone.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid use of alcohol when administering Domperidone tablets.
Can I have Domperidone When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Domperidone tablets are unsafe to use in pregnancy.
- The benefits and risks should be discussed prior to administration of Domperidone tablets.
Can I have Domperidone when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- It is unknown whether Domperidone is excreted in breast milk or not and its effect on fetus.
- Thus as a precautionary measure, Domperidone should be avoided in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Domperidone?
- Domperidone Tablet usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect.
- In such cases it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Domperidone?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects.
- Symptoms of over-dosage: convulsions, altered consciousness, disorientation etc.
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What ha pens if I eat expired Domperidone?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Domperidone to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Domperidone?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.
- Long term use of Domperidone may lead to irregular menstrual cycle and breast tenderness in women and gynecomastia (swollen male breast tissue) in men.