Table of Contents
- What is Domstal?
- Uses of Domstal
- How does Domstal work?
- How to take Domstal?
- Domstal Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Domstal?
- Precautions While Taking Domstal:
- Side-Effects of Domstal:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Domstal Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Domstal
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Domstal
- Authored By –
1What is Domstal?
Domstal is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like vomiting, nausea, acidity and heartburn. Convulsion and urinary retention are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver and cardiac diseases.
Domstal Composition: Domperidone 10 mg
Manufactured By: Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’ but it is available as OTC
Form: Tablet, capsule, drops and Suspension.
Price: Rs 21.52 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiemetic
2Uses of Domstal
Domstal serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- Gastroparesis: Used to treat Idiopathic or diabetic gastroparesis (prevents stomach emptying)
- GERD: Used in cases of Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease (GERD) as it prevents backward reflux of gastric contents.
- Heartburn: Used to treat conditions like heartburn or acidity as it neutralizes the acid content
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Motion sickness: Used in patients with motion sickness.
- Bloating & Flatulence: Used in cases of intestinal gas and bloating.
- Upper Abdominal pain: Used in cases of upper abdominal pain caused by gas formation in the stomach.
- Functional dyspepsia: Used in cases of functional dyspepsia.
- Lactation: Used to promotes lactation ( by inhibiting dopamine).
3How does Domstal work?
- Domstal contains Domperidone as its active ingredient.
- Domperidone acts by inhibiting Dopamine receptors and works on the chemoreceptor trigger zone (in the brain stem) that mediates nausea and vomiting
- Domperidone also helps by preventing the back reflux (flow) of the food into the oesophagus (food pipe)
4How to take Domstal?
- Domstal is available in the tablet and syrup and drops form
- Domstal tablet is usually taken via mouth with a glass of water preferably before meals as food can lead to delayed absorption of the drug.
- The tablet should never be chewed or crushed but should be consumed as a whole.
- If consuming the syrup, bottle should be shaken up well before use and measuring cup should be used to consume the prescribed drug dose.
- The leaflet present in the pack should be read thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Domstal Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common adult and adolescent dose(children above 12 years of age) of Domstal tablet is a single dose of 10-20mg three to four times a day depending upon the condition, with the maximum dose not more than 80mg per day
- Common paediatric dose (infants and children below 12 years) is 0.25-0.50 mg/kg three to four times a day with maximum dose not more than 2.4mg/kg/ day
- Domstal syrup is advised in Paediatric cases instead of tablets and the Paediatrician should be consulted before drug administration
- Dose alteration without consultation should be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Domstal?
Overdose of Domstal may lead to symptoms like convulsion, altered consciousness. Gastric lavage and administration of activated charcoal is to be performed by the doctor or medical staff in such cases.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Domstal?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Domstal?
Expired Domstal might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Domstal?
The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient.
Q. Till when does the effect of Domstal stays?
- Most of the patients experience relief in symptoms within a few hours.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
6When to Avoid Domstal?
Do not Consume Domstal if:
- Allergy: In cases of the known history of hypersensitivity/allergy to Domstal or any similar active ingredients
- Prolactinoma: In cases of Prolactin releasing pituitary tumor known as Prolactinoma
- GI haemorrhage: In cases where gastric motility stimulation can prove to be fatal E.g. Gastrointestinal haemorrhage
- Liver diseases: In cases of patients with moderate to severe liver impairment
- Cardiac diseases: In cases of patients with cardiac diseases
7Precautions While Taking Domstal:
- Antacids: Domstal should not be used concomitantly with Antacids
- Prolonged use: Chronic use of Domstal for routine prophylaxis of nausea and vomiting should be avoided
- Caution: Coated Domstal tablets may contain lactose and should be avoided in case of lactose intolerant patients
Warnings When Taking Domstal
- If known history of heart diseases, avoid this drug unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Prolonged use should be avoided.
- Equally spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
Also Read: Domperidone Precautions | Doxinate Precautions
8Side-Effects of Domstal:
The side effects associated with Domstal are:
- Nervousness (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Headache (common)
- Agitation (less common)
- Convulsion (less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Pruritis (less common)
- Urticaria (less common)
- Amenorrhea (less common)
- Anaphylactic reaction (less common)
- Transient intestinal cramps (less common)
- Urinary retention (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Domstal?
- In case of any allergic signs like Pruritis, Urticaria, Rashes.
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Domstal on organs?
- Domstal should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment as Domstal is mainly metabolised in the liver and excreted through kidneys.
- It may cause alteration in liver enzymes, so SGOT SGPT levels should be monitored regularly.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Domstal. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Domstal. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Domstal
Grapefruit juice or grapefruit food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Domstal
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antacids (mild)
- Anticholinergic drugs (mild)
- Opioid analgesics (mild)
- Anti muscarinics (mild)
- Cimeditine (dose adjustment of Domstal may be needed) (mild)
- Cytochrome P450 isoenzyme CYP3A4 inhibitors like erythromycin ketoconazole, itraconazole, Fluconazole may result in increased plasma levels of Domstal (moderate)
- Lithium (may cause weakness, encephalopathy and brain damage) (moderate)
3. Effects of Domstal on Lab Tests
Domstal can affect SGPT, SGOT (liver enzymes) levels
4. Domstal’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Domstal with alcohol?
Effect of Domstal when taken with alcohol is unknown. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Domstal.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit juice should be avoided as its inhibits certain enzymes which may lead to increased levels of Domstal.
Q. Can I have Domstal when pregnant?
Domstal in pregnant women should be used only if necessary and always the doctor should be informed about such cases.
Q. Can I have Domstal when feeding a baby?
Domstal is excreted in human milk and the effects on the infant is not known however sometimes it is also used to stimulate lactation
Therefore the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Domstal?
Domstal usually doesn’t affect the ability to drive but in some cases it can cause drowsiness or dizziness and in such cases, driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided.
Also Read: Drotaverine Side Effect | dulcoflex Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Domstal Composition, Variant and Price
|Domstal Variants||Domstal Composition||Domstal Price (Rs.)|
|Domstal RD Capsule||Omeprazole 20mg + Domperidone 10mg||Rs. 138.4 for 15 capsules|
|Domstal 30ml Suspension||Domperidone 10mg/ml||Rs. 33.92 for 1 pack|
|Domstal DT 10mg Tablet||Domperidone 10mg||Rs. 25.31 for 10 tablets|
|Domstal baby 5ml drops||Domperidone 10mg/ml||Rs. 52.20 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Medicines | Pinhealth Medicines
11Substitutes of Domstal
The following are alternative drugs for Domstal:
- Domrite Tablet:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price- Rs.21.5
- Dom DT 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Morepen Laboratories Ltd
- Price- Rs. 24.53
- Motilium M Tablet:
- Manufactured by J & J
- Price- Rs. 25.3
- Vomistop 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Cipla
- Price- Rs. 25.33
Also Read: ECONORM Price | Dytor Plus Price
Storage requirements for Domstal
- The drug should be in a cool, moisture free place away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the drug where it is out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Domstal
Q. What is Domstal?
Ans. Domstal is a single constituent drug that contains Domperidone as its main active ingredient which belongs to the class of anti emetics.
Domstal is used to treat conditions like nausea, vomiting, acidity and heartburn, delayed stomach emptying.
Q. What are the uses of Domstal ?
Ans. Domstal is used to treat conditions like nausea, vomiting, acidity and heartburn, delayed stomach emptying.
Q. What are the side effects of Domstal ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Domstal are Nervousness, Diarrhoea, Dry mouth, Headache, Agitation
Q. How effective is Domstal?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually Domstal shows its effect within 45-60 minutes.
Q. Should Domstal be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Domstal should be taken empty stomach as food can lead to delayed drug absorption.
Q. Does Domstal make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Domstal may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Domstal doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Domstal should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Domstal.
Q. Does Domstal effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Domstal safe for children?
Ans. Domstal can be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken. Variants of Domstal are available for use in paediatric population with appropriate composition.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Domstal?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Domstal.
Q. Is Domstal legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –