Table of Contents
- What is Domzar?
- Uses of Domzar
- How does Domzar work?
- How to Take Domzar?
- Common Dosage for Domzar
- When to Avoid Domzar?
- Side-effects of Domzar
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage of Domzar
- Pro Tips When Taking Domzar
- Frequently asked questions
- Is Domzar addictive?
- Can I have Domzar with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Domzar when pregnant?
- Can I have Domzar when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Domzar?
- What happens if I overdose on Domzar?
- What happens if I take expired Domzar?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Domzar?
What is Domzar?
Domzar is a fixed-dose combination of Rabeprazole (20mg) and Domperidone (30mg) used for the treatment of acidity, heartburn, nausea, vomiting etc.
Get Exciting Discounts upto 30%: Netmeds Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code
Uses of Domzar
- It can be used for the following conditions:
- Gastroesophageal reflex disease (GERD)
- Gastric ulcer
- Zollinger Ellison syndrome
- Heart burn
- Erosive esophagitis
- Idiopathic or diabetic gastroparesis (condition which prevents stomach emptying)
- Helicobacter pylori infection
Read About: Carpela 21s Uses
How does Domzar work?
- Rabeprazole belongs to group of drugs called as “proton pump inhibitor” which works by inhibiting gastric acid secretion. It inhibits acid secretion both in resting phase as well as when stimulated by food thus preventing heart burn and gastric ulcer disease.
- Domperidone belongs to a group of drugs called as “dopamine antagonists” which works by propelling the food faster through your food pipe from stomach to intestine.
- It also prevents food from flowing wrong way back up to food pipe and inhibits vomiting centre in brain thus eventually reducing the feeling of nausea and vomiting.
Also Read: Haematinga Capsule | Hb-Rich Syrup | Feripro Syrup | Ferrochelate
How to Take Domzar?
- Domzar is available in capsule form for oral use.
- Domzar is well absorbed orally and should be taken empty stomach (at least half an hour before food) in the morning.
- The capsule should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
Know About: Cystelia Composition
Common Dosage for Domzar
- The optimum dosage of Domzar varies with the condition of the patient, age of the patient and initial response to the drug.
- The recommended dose for Domzar in adults is one capsule once daily half an hour before food. Domzar should not be used for more than 14 days if not directed by your doctor.
When to Avoid Domzar?
- Domzar should be avoided or used with caution in following patients:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Blockage in intestine
- Patients with electrolyte disturbance especially Magnesium, potassium and calcium
- Patients with severe kidney and liver disease
- Congestive heart failure
Side-effects of Domzar
Common side effects with Domzar include:
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Increased chances of bone fracture
Also Read: Bactifix Side Effects | Ginette Side Effects
Effect on organs?
Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use Domzar with caution. Dose adjustment by doctor might be needed in few cases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Domzar. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
It is always advised that the patient must inform the doctor of all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Domzar capsules.
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Domzar may interact with the following drugs and products:
Know About: Bravia Precaution
Shows Effects / Results In
The effects of Domzar start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reach its maximum (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Storage of Domzar
- Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Domzar
- Domzar, when used in larger doses and for a longer duration, may increase your risk for bone fractures (osteoporosis) especially among elderly.
- When used for the longer duration, it may also cause a decrease in magnesium levels in blood. Constant monitoring of blood magnesium levels should be done when on Domzar therapy.
Frequently asked questions
Is Domzar addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Domzar with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Domzar therapy as alcohol increases acidity and cause reflex in food pipe which may further aggregate the problem and reduce the potency of Domzar.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interaction with food products observed.
Can I have Domzar when pregnant?
Usage of Domzar is not recommended during pregnancy as it has shown adverse effects on foetus in animal studies. It should only be used if the potential benefits justify the risks involved.
Can I have Domzar when feeding a baby?
Nursing mothers are advised to use Domzar with caution as the drug may pass into breast milk and could harm the baby.
Can I drive after taking Domzar?
Few patients on Domzar may experience side effects like dizziness, headache, decreased alertness etc. Caution must be exercised in such patients when driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Domzar?
It should not be administered in more than recommended dose as it may lead to toxicity. Major signs of acute toxicity include: confusion, tremors, drowsiness, increased heart beat etc.
What happens if I take expired Domzar?
Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
What happens if I miss a dose of Domzar?
Always administer the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose– do not take double the dose to make up for the missed dose.